Good article on plywood - what to look for, what the differences are, etc - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Design, Plan and Build the Perfect Man Cave

Old 04-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 296,475,704
Richard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud of
Default Good article on plywood - what to look for, what the differences are, etc

http://popularwoodworking.com/articl..._right_plywood

This actually answered a lot of questions I have on plywood - and what to look for when selecting a sheet in relation to your project.

Spoiler:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 11:42 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 48,390,992
Irish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimps
Default Re: Good article on plywood - what to look for, what the differences are, etc

Great article, thanks for posting!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Richard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud of
Default Re: Good article on plywood - what to look for, what the differences are, etc

Yeah I'm a bit worried I'll sand right through the veneer on my arcade cabinet. If I do, I'll be hella pissed.

Spoiler:
Old 04-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,824,283,485
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

Excellent read.
Thanks for posting.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:21 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 48,390,992
Irish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimps

I was a little surprised by this statement:

Quote:
The grade should be stamped on the side of the sheet but it is often missing in imported plywoods. Expect to pay $75 or more for a 4' x 8' sheet of A2 plywood with plain-sliced veneer. The oak and birch plywood the big home-improvement stores had in stock (about $40) at the time of writing this was graded C3.
I know the stuff you get at HD & Lowes ain't the best, but I was surprised it's THAT bad. And here I thought my old racetrack came out pretty nice...
Old 04-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Badministrator

Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
I was a little surprised by this statement:
Quote:
The grade should be stamped on the side of the sheet but it is often missing in imported plywoods. Expect to pay $75 or more for a 4' x 8' sheet of A2 plywood with plain-sliced veneer. The oak and birch plywood the big home-improvement stores had in stock (about $40) at the time of writing this was graded C3.
I know the stuff you get at HD & Lowes ain't the best, but I was surprised it's THAT bad. And here I thought my old racetrack came out pretty nice...
Go visit a wood store who sells nice wood (non-contractor grade) and specialty species and such and look at the maple / birch sheets there and you'll see the difference.

While at HD or Lowes, I usually have to pick through 8 or 10 sheets until I find one I like that is a good piece of veneer on it. (or something that I can cut around depending on the project)
Old 04-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Yeah that line jumped out at me as well. I'm definitely not getting my next sheet at Lowes or HD.

Spoiler:
Old 04-22-2009, 01:23 PM
"D" Cup

Chips: 1,668,731
JumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of light

I downloaded the article as a PDF and saved it for future reference.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Badministrator

For a lot of stuff, there is no problem with the material at Lowe's or HD. It really depends on the quality of the wood your looking to do with the project you're working on. (and most of the time picking through the pile to find a piece that works for you.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:25 PM
"C" Cup

Chips: 55,810
wyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimps

Thanks for the info!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Design, Plan and Build the Perfect Man Cave