Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

Little Sunday Roast

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  MitchelDuck 
#1 ·
Been out of town for work quite a bit and on top of that the wife let me loose for a 36 hour quick trip to Vegas with some friends so I decided to make her a nice dinner as a thank you for taking care of the little ones while I was away. She'll also get a fun weekend with some girl friends in January. I noticed that some beef roasts were on sale at our grocery store so I picked up a nice piece of top round. Here it is trimmed and tied.

I've made roasts in the oven before and they always came out a bit underwhelming to be honest so I did some youtube research and decided to give the reverse sear method a try. If you haven't heard of it, check out this video which explains it better than I could. Although he's doing it a kettle grill with charcoal, the principal is the same and his results are incredible.

Another help for this come come out better is our oven has a probe that you can put into the meat and the plug into the inside of the oven which is very handy for getting an exact internal temp. I cooked it at 225 for something over 2 hours for a 3.25 lb roast and pulled it at an internal temp of 126. Not much to look at here but snapped a shot...

I let the roast rest for about 20 minutes and then gave it a hard sear in a cast iron skillet with olive oil and butter for about 3 minutes a side although I accidentally left it too long on the first side i believe. After finishing the sear, I made a beef roast drippings brown gravy which came out nice because I was able to make it in the pan that I'd just finished searing the meat.

While all of this was happening I took a crack at making yorkshire puddings for the first time. I'd help make them once or twice before with an ex-girlfriend many years ago but this was a bit of an adventure. I didn't really have the right size muffin tin either but it all worked out ok in the end. Here are the finished shots of the roast and the puddings. Enjoyed these with some garlic lemon broccolini not pictured.

Everything came out pretty amazing. You can see the great puff I got with the yorshires although next time I will use less oil as they were a bit greasy. I can't recommend this method for cooking beef enough. It takes quite a while but the results were nothing short of incredible. It's like doing sous vide but without all the extra equipment and fussing with the water set up and everything. You can see in the last picture the one side that I over cooked in the skillet but otherwise it was nearly end to end perfectly rare/med rare with a beautiful brown crust on the outside. 10/10 will make again soon. I'll probably just do mashed potatoes next time with it. The yorkshire puddings were fun and I'll make them again but they were a bit of extra work so I'll probably just make them for a special occasion or when we have guests over.

See less See more
1 6
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.