Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

Been a long time...

3K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  JokerRN 
#1 ·
Hey, Guys.

Been out of the building game for quite some time, but have just been asked to build a table for another dad at my kid's school. So, time to get to work...

The short story is that he has been renovating a house for a little bit and apparently has a game room where he wants a table. What I am just finding out is that the house is renovating is 14,000 sq ft and his game room is 25' x50'.

All of that to say this is a 'money is not much of an object' kind of build. All of my other builds were more budget conscious, so sourcing some of the materials will be new.

Couple of questions up front:

1. Who are we using now for upholstery materials? Still YAT or is there a better option now?

2. I used the Symphony Vintage on the last table I did and it was a total fuck job. Guessing this guy is going to pick that from the options I give him. Has anyone mastered this stuff? Is there an alternative that will give a leather look and be a little easier to work with?

3. I don't think my usual pedestal and legs from Adams are going to work for this guy. Anybody have an idea where I can find some more ornate unfinished peds (see table below)?

That's enough for now. Appreciate the help and I'll post a build thread if you guys are still into that kind of thing.

Here is the picture he sent me of what his designer wants to buy:

See less See more
#3 ·
What's up, JP?

Have seen that one. Luckily, I talked this guy out of the chip trays, but is still wanting a racetrack. Going to shoot for a nice, thin track just wide enough for chips, but not so big that your cards end up on it.

You ever used the Symphony Vintage stuff?

#4 ·
YAT is still good for materials, though with a big budget hopefully he's going for a nice custom cloth. Symphony vintage is a bitch to work with, i'd stay away if you can. If he's looking for something different, check out the texsuade that yat sells - makes for an awesome plush rail, imho for a private room its the best option.

Ron @ FCI poker may have some different pedestal options, but aside from thay you're probably looking at a custom wood turner for anything more intricate.

Good to see you back, make sure you post some pics of the table!

#5 ·
Thanks, Irish. Pretty jacked about building again. I have some custom cloth samples from 916 poker depot...where else are you going for custom cloth?

Going to try and steer him toward a claw foot ped and be done with it. Not really going to see them once the chairs are around it anyway.

I have put suited speed cloth on every table I've built...what's the best alternative option if he doesn't want that?

#7 ·
Guessing that by "OTs" you mean Off-Topic? Looked around in there but didn't see it. Who is printing custom cloth at this point?

As an update, I am meeting with the guy on Wednesday and finalizing the design. Looks it will be 45" x 90" or so, 8 spots. Pushing for a mini-racetrack, with cups in the rail or pull out. Got him off of the super-elaborate peds and into some claw-foot ones, so that's figured out.

When talking about the rail, he keeps saying "leather," so I may be hide-hunting. Predicting it will be that or giving the Symphony Vintage another go.

Anybody use a leather hide for a rail job?

#13 ·
Very cool. Thanks. I am hoping to talk him into a table a lot like that one. Mini track, cups in the rail, etc. may even suggest the pearl inlays...like that detail. Hope you don't me stealing the design.

What's the final verdict on the trim you used for the flush playing surface? Is there a better alternative?

#16 ·
Its worked great and as intended. The racetrack is big enough to easily stack up chips for those who want to but small enough that you can also keep them on the felt, which a few people do (having the bet line helps). Its also just wide enough for most smart phones. Cards stay on the felt , and those who shuffle chips do so on the felt so you don't have the constant loud clicking like with normal size racetrack tables. I would recommend anywhere from 2" to 3.25" wide, depening on your game and typical chip counts per player.

#17 ·
Cool. Thanks. That's exactly the playing experience I am looking for. I found the trim at Home Depot and will try it. In your build thread, you said you had to sand a bit to make room for the speed cloth...I'm wondering if a little bigger router bit would make up the difference. Maybe a 5/16" or a 9/32"? I might try this once I see what kind of fabric they want me to cover the paying surface with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.