Teach me about: Kodi - Page 2 - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video

Old 03-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Training Bra

Chips: 125,413,741
bu$hman has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Teach me about: Kodi

Two cents: Raspberry Pi running OSMC on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 10:51 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 1,358,620
CRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu$hman View Post
Two cents: Raspberry Pi running OSMC on it.
You'll have to dumb that down for this cat.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:54 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

CRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of light

TotalDonkey, hopefully you visit this thread. Can you elaborate on your set up (link here)?

Like what does "works great" mean? Is the audio digital 5.1 at least? 1080 video? Jittery? Is it a DVR too?

Example: Could I watch all of any of the networks' shows tonight at their original air time?
Old 03-15-2017, 11:06 AM
Training Bra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post
You'll have to dumb that down for this cat.
Here is a quick guide, a little old, but still workable, right from this forum. The Definitive Raspberry Pi Running XBMC Setup Thread - The Perfect Man Cave

At work, right now, so can't elaborate. Google is a good source, though, too. Cheers. Try to get back to you later today. PS. Get a raspberry pi 3, nowadays.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:18 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu$hman View Post
Here is a quick guide, a little old, but still workable, right from this forum. The Definitive Raspberry Pi Running XBMC Setup Thread - The Perfect Man Cave

At work, right now, so can't elaborate. Google is a good source, though, too. Cheers. Try to get back to you later today. PS. Get a raspberry pi 3, nowadays.
Ok, thank you. So basically what TotalDonkey has is something similar, but in a nice, neat package? Kinda? (XMBC is now Kodi?)

Q's thread is from like light years ago based on technology standards... Does it all still apply? (I can't see his photos)
Old 03-15-2017, 02:30 PM
Training Bra

Don't know much about the box TotalDonkey runs, but it sounds about right.

Q's thread is still pretty much good to go. I have linked a youtube video (there are lots of them out there) How to Install OSMC 2016 11 on a Raspberry Pi 3 2 1 B+ 0 Zero - YouTube
His pictures do seem to be gone, now. Truly, just go to youtube and do a search on OSMC install. Many to choose from. I like the guy above, as well as novaspirit tech Raspberry Pi 2 Home Theater PC How To Using OSMC Kodi - YouTube NB: It is old, and Raspberry Pi 3 is the latest.

It is a pretty good, easy, quick way to install OSMC. OSMC is basically Kodi, but with its own look. It runs, if I am not mistaken, Raspbian underneath the hood, so you can actually use it as a computer, but with the front-end running Kodi (OSMC-style.) I like it.

XBMC is now called Kodi, yes.

Last edited by bu$hman; 03-15-2017 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: Didn't mean to link the video, just the URL.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:02 AM
"D" Cup

Chips: 1,342,154,416
TotalDonkey is a name known to allTotalDonkey is a name known to allTotalDonkey is a name known to allTotalDonkey is a name known to allTotalDonkey is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post
TotalDonkey, hopefully you visit this thread. Can you elaborate on your set up (link here)?

Like what does "works great" mean? Is the audio digital 5.1 at least? 1080 video? Jittery? Is it a DVR too?

Example: Could I watch all of any of the networks' shows tonight at their original air time?
Hey man, so ya, I am by no means an expert....at all.

Here's what I can say.

I wanted to be able to watch any Movie/TV series I want (past or present). My Kodi has them. It's like having an external harddrive hooked up without having to download the shows/ movies myself. The "build" I have has sections of tv, movies, sports, etc. and I can just search and find things. I have noticed that new episodes of shows are available the next day. I haven't tried watching live TV/sports yet but I'm told i can (or can make it so I can). I have been told that live TV can be spotty depending on the feed.

The shows and movies are available in HD. There's essentially about 30 "feeds" to pick from and you pick one and watch. I've only had to look for multiple feeds once so far. Usually just click one and go. The situation I had was the audio was not in line with the actors when they were speaking. But found a different feed and it worked.

For TV, it has pretty much every channel and you just search through and find a show they air. For some shows not on TV still I just search that name and it pops up elsewhere in the system.

Movies are listed by every category there is: Genre, By year, In theatre, Classic, etc.

Anyways, like I said before, I'm sure there's lots I'm not getting from it yet but will find out over the next few months.

Hope that was helpful!
Old 03-16-2017, 11:07 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

That was indeed helpful, TD. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:50 AM
"B" Cup

Chips: 64,505
Dennis is a pretty cool catDennis is a pretty cool cat

Just a quiick update on Kodi.

In the UK there has been a huge legal situation made out of some individuals selling "fully loaded Kodi boxes." Those are android boxes with Kodi and a lot of 3rd party pirate addons installed. They are advertised as getting premium channels, sports, etc FREE. The European Union and British courts have come down hard on people selling these "Kodi Boxes." Several sellers have wound up in jail.

Here in the US, DishTV has sued the developers of the ZEM addon, which simply stole channels from DishTV and streamed them. DishTV has also sued the TVAddons.ag website for distributing the ZEM addon while knowing it was a pirate addon that stole content.

Both ZEM and the TVAddons website have disappeared as a result. Most of the 3rd party Kodi addons that TVAddons hosted have disappeared along with them. The developers of pirate addons are running for cover right now, although a few have resurfaced on other websites.

Along with the pirate addons, TVAddons hosted a lot of perfectly legal 3rd party addons which disappeared along with the TVAddons website. Team Kodi (the developers of XBMC/Kodi) are now actively trying to recruit those developers to include their addons in the "official" Kodi repository for distribution.

All-in-all, a very active and interesting past few weeks in the Kodi world...
Old 07-05-2017, 06:52 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Thx for the info.

I still haven't pulled the plug on one. Just being lazy I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video

Tags
amazon fire stick, kodi, xmbc