I've decided to try this sous vide stuff - paging Blake ... - Page 3 - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Other Topics > The Meat Locker

Old 12-22-2017, 08:22 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,957,830,000,051
Doctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimps
Default Re: I've decided to try this sous vide stuff - paging Blake ...

It is pretty slick. Let us know what successes (& not-so-successes) you have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2017, 08:34 AM
Thread Killer

Chips: 34,292
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

It's pretty cool! I will say, that since I got the Weber Slow 'N Sear accessory for my Weber kettle I don't use mine very often. It does almost the same thing on the grill, but I've been very happy with my sous vide attempts.

It's awesome on the thickest steaks because it makes it foolproof. Can't overdo it and a fast, hot sear at the end won't get very deep into the meat. Have fun!
Old 12-22-2017, 02:57 PM
"E" Cup Heavy Hangers

Chips: 1,170,001,003
TheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant future

What do you guys use to sear?

I've seen a lot of videos with a searzall blowtorch attachment, but that seems a little overkill.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,957,830,000,051
Doctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimps

I use a MELLOW for sous-vide.

I use a searing hot CAST IRON SKILLET for searing/browning.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:46 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 87,362
Blake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimps
Send a message via ICQ to Blake Send a message via AIM to Blake Send a message via Yahoo to Blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame View Post
What do you guys use to sear?

I've seen a lot of videos with a searzall blowtorch attachment, but that seems a little overkill.
I just use either a cast iron skillet or the broiler. If I want grill marks I'll just start a 1/4 chimney of lump and set a grate on top when it get ripping hot. I saw a video where alton put a steak under the charcoal chimney I thought about trying too

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Only Once Live You - Yoda
Old 12-24-2017, 10:02 AM
Thread Killer

JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I just use either a cast iron skillet or the broiler. If I want grill marks I'll just start a 1/4 chimney of lump and set a grate on top when it get ripping hot. I saw a video where alton put a steak under the charcoal chimney I thought about trying too

That works. I have this for the grill, though.

https://www.amazon.com/Adrenaline-Ba...slow+n%27+sear

I wouldn't get it just to sear, but I use it a LOT on my weber kettle. Tonight I'm going to sous vide some Prime NY Strips I got at Costco then use the slow n sear to sear them.

JC
Old 12-25-2017, 06:56 PM
"E" Cup Heavy Hangers

TheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant future

I guess I'll try the cast iron skillet first before going the torch/searzall route.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:57 AM
Thread Killer

Did this in Joule sous vide then seared on the Saber gas grill. Made garlic mustard cream sauce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg martini.jpg (49.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg meat1.jpg (90.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg meat2.jpg (90.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg meat3.jpg (49.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 87,362
Blake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimps
Send a message via ICQ to Blake Send a message via AIM to Blake Send a message via Yahoo to Blake

Did a 4 bone prime rib for Christmas...136 for 6 hours before crustinfnin a 475 oven for 10 minutes while I made the Jus.

Only Once Live You - Yoda
Old 12-27-2017, 09:13 AM
"E" Cup Heavy Hangers

My first use was to make vanilla cinnamon creme brulee for the family get together on Christmas eve. Made them in 4oz Mason jars, and crusted the tops with a torch on-site. They were a big hit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Other Topics > The Meat Locker