I've decided to try this sous vide stuff - paging Blake ... - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Other Topics > The Meat Locker

Old 01-02-2017, 06:57 AM
Thread Killer

Chips: 34,261
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future
Default I've decided to try this sous vide stuff - paging Blake ...

Looking at this model. Thoughts?

Amazon.com: Anova Culinary PCB-120US-K1 Bluetooth Precision Cooker, 800 Watts, Black: Kitchen Dining

Also, a reviewer suggested this for the cooking vessel, cut hole in lid for immersion cooker.

https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Island-...cr_dp_asin_lnk

Old 01-02-2017, 07:02 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 87,334
Blake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimps
Send a message via ICQ to Blake Send a message via AIM to Blake Send a message via Yahoo to Blake
Default Re: I've decided to try this sous vide stuff - paging Blake ...

I have that exact same Anova, have it for 2 years or so now. Works great, not a huge fan of their app though. That cooler is a bit small honestly. I use this oe when doing long cooks:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GZQ80BE..._-0LAyb0SB3NF6

But for most cooks i just up a big pot or a Cambro

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Only Once Live You - Yoda
Old 01-02-2017, 12:12 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 400,385,031,210
nuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to behold

I have the same cooler as Blake, cut a hole into lid, works great. Love the system
Old 01-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Thread Killer

JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

Thanks for the confirmation, guys. And the better cooler choice! I'm gonna try this! Just placed order.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Thread Killer

I am really getting jazzed about this! When you first mentioned it, Blake, I thought, "Oh boy, another fad!" But the more I read/watched about it, the more it made sense. Now I was just thinking about how careful I have to be to get steaks cut to the same thickness for the grill ... no worries about that now! A skinny steak and a fat steak will get to the same level of doneness by temperature, and if the skinny one is done 1/2 an hour earlier, who cares? They can both sit for a while while I work on other things.

I think this is going to be much less stressfull than grilling expensive steaks. Really anxious to try this now!
Old 01-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Blake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimps
Send a message via ICQ to Blake Send a message via AIM to Blake Send a message via Yahoo to Blake

And you can do this for christmas

Old 01-04-2017, 12:39 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 41,127,598
pikeman56 is a splendid one to beholdpikeman56 is a splendid one to beholdpikeman56 is a splendid one to beholdpikeman56 is a splendid one to beholdpikeman56 is a splendid one to beholdpikeman56 is a splendid one to behold

Still loving my Anova. I have that same model as well. I cooked up some venison steaks for New Years. omg.......
Old 01-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Thread Killer

Holy crap! OK, definitely not a fad! I did this last night, I didn't get any pics but the website pic is better anyway. It was a HUGE hit.

Sous Vide Pork Tenderloin

For anyone wanting to try this, the market for sous vide precision cookers has gotten very competitive. This model is 800 watts, and bluetooth only (but it works with controls right on it, too), but has been discontinued and Amazon has it for $129. Get 'em while you can!

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinar...y+PCB-120US-K1

The latest new, new thing is the Joule cooker, at $199. It also has WiFi in addition to bluetooth (I can't figure out why that's an advantage, frankly) and is 1100 watts, so will pre-heat faster (but start with hot tap water and who cares?). The main advantage I can see is it's much smaller and lighter. They both do the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/ChefSteps-CS1...keywords=joule

For my money, I'd take the $129 model, but the Joule is certainly sexy as hell, no doubt about it.

Nuzbim, Pikeman, Blake ... what size hole saw did you use for this? I have the cooler and my OCD makes me want to do a perfect hole, not hack it out with a steak knife. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2017, 09:16 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post
Holy crap! OK, definitely not a fad! I did this last night, I didn't get any pics but the website pic is better anyway. It was a HUGE hit.

Sous Vide Pork Tenderloin

For anyone wanting to try this, the market for sous vide precision cookers has gotten very competitive. This model is 800 watts, and bluetooth only (but it works with controls right on it, too), but has been discontinued and Amazon has it for $129. Get 'em while you can!

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinar...y+PCB-120US-K1

The latest new, new thing is the Joule cooker, at $199. It also has WiFi in addition to bluetooth (I can't figure out why that's an advantage, frankly) and is 1100 watts, so will pre-heat faster (but start with hot tap water and who cares?). The main advantage I can see is it's much smaller and lighter. They both do the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/ChefSteps-CS1...keywords=joule

For my money, I'd take the $129 model, but the Joule is certainly sexy as hell, no doubt about it.

Nuzbim, Pikeman, Blake ... what size hole saw did you use for this? I have the cooler and my OCD makes me want to do a perfect hole, not hack it out with a steak knife. Thanks!
I used a dremel with and upcut bit to cut my cooler

I have a joule too and its smaller form factor while being much smaller is a definite advantage. As for the wifi, it means you can control/monitor it away from the house. I can turn it on before i leave work so the water is ready to go when i get home.

I'll post a pic here of them side by side

Old 01-08-2017, 09:17 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 400,385,031,210
nuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to behold

I marked it with a sharpie and then cut. I'll take a pic and post later today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Other Topics > The Meat Locker