New house - A/V questions - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video

Old 09-04-2016, 04:57 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 108,250,019,408
NathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to behold
Default New house - A/V questions

Just put a down payment on a new house... 5/4 3,300sqft, plans below. Since it's basically a cookie cutter house, and a KB Home, we are going to be nickle and dimed for everything. I talked with the a/v guy and told him how his prices are horseshit, but that's another story for a different time.

I'm trying to figure out how many wires and what type of wires to each tv. On the floor plan, I've made a blue line where the tvs will go. I'm know at least 1 RG6 and 1cat5 to each tv. We will probably have an AppleTv on each tv along with a directv genie box. We don't really watch DVDs at all, but would be nice to run a computer or DVD player in the AV closet and have it's output went to all the tvs in the house.

But here's my question, what would YOU do? I know a few of you have run lines from an AV area. Would you have ran an extra RG6? A couple more cat5's? I can get into the attic to add wiring to the 2nd floor, but once the first floor is done, it's DONE...

This is basically what the house will look like. Maybe different colors, but same house...

Thanks!

Nathan

Last edited by NathanJax; 09-11-2016 at 03:27 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2016, 12:28 PM
"D" Cup

Chips: 11,077,000
Crawland is a glorious beacon of lightCrawland is a glorious beacon of lightCrawland is a glorious beacon of lightCrawland is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New house - A/V questions

I ran cat5 all over the place in my house, and the only place I have ever used it in 12 years is in my office when I had a hard wired internet connection in there. We don't even use that anymore.

I'd be more inclined to think about where I would want to hide A/V equipment and think about running hdmi cables in the walls. Or at least provide yourself some strings so you can pull cables through the walls.

Last edited by Crawland; 09-06-2016 at 12:31 PM..
Old 09-06-2016, 02:05 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 8,387,062
huge1s has much to be proud ofhuge1s has much to be proud ofhuge1s has much to be proud ofhuge1s has much to be proud ofhuge1s has much to be proud ofhuge1s has much to be proud ofhuge1s has much to be proud of

Do you want to do a home run? or have everything seperate? I had to do this retro in my house... but I ran 7.1 speaker wire in my main tv area as well as the basement (actually 5.1). Wiring in the attick and down an outside wall is NOT fun, so if you can do this ahead of time... I would. These days... you probably want to do 7.2 and 5.2 with the stereos that are on the market. As for the cat5.... run cat 6. It costs more, but you can take advantage of the HDMI over cat 6 devices. Make sure you run 2 wires to each location. I have had very little luck running these over cat5e. It works, but they cut out.

You ask "what would YOU do"? I would actually do both in some cases. I would wire the joint for whole home audio with a home run to your AV closet. In the main tv/music listening areas I would also have a seperate connection in the event that I couldn't afford or didn't want a huge stereo setup and just wanted it for the room. Speaker wire is cheap... just make a map and mark the termination points. I would also home run all the cat6 and have seperate lines in the main areas for the video side. I think you have no choice with the RJ6 because of how cable is run (everything is home run).

In my house (ranch style), I ran speaker wire to the kitchen, family room as 7.1 (where 2 zone stereo is) and the deck. All is controlled by one stereo and we have really liked it. The only pain is having 2 zones where we have to switch the 2nd zone between kitchen and deck (taking care of this with a powered switch).

IMHO... you may spend a couple grand in wire, but you would spend much much more if you want to do this retro. My vote would be to home run anywhere you POSSIBLY would want audio and maybe be selective on the video (cat 6). RJ6 to every room, home run.

Wait... weren't you in home security and/or av systems before? Why did I write all that?
Old 09-06-2016, 03:28 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 4,021,777,902
Hirize is a glorious beacon of lightHirize is a glorious beacon of lightHirize is a glorious beacon of light

/\ /\ /\ WORD!!

Run overkill of everything and make everything a homerun. It gives you every option in the book and it all can stay buried behind the walls until / when you need it.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:37 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 8,387,062
huge1s has much to be proud ofhuge1s has much to be proud ofhuge1s has much to be proud ofhuge1s has much to be proud ofhuge1s has much to be proud ofhuge1s has much to be proud ofhuge1s has much to be proud of

Just thought of something.... Let the builder home run all the RJ6, then come in after and run your speaker and cat6 through the same holes for the home runs. You would be on your own for the in-room setups, but those shouldn't be too bad. You will probably get hassled running your own wires though.... just bring some beers along to keep the tattle tales quiet
Old 09-07-2016, 03:43 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

NathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the info! Have another appointment with him in a couple weeks.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:46 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Update:

Talked to the Super today. Very cool dude. Young guy (younger than me and I'm 36) and he basically said he will tell me the second the A/V guys are done and let me wire whatever I want to, to wherever I want to, as long as I do it properly an don't mess anything up.

I've decided to do 5 RG6 and 1 cat6 from outside to AV closet. That will take care of satellite, cable, and phone/ethernet into the AV closet.

Then 1 RG6 and 3 cat6 to all 8 tv's and an extra RG6 and cat6 from the living room back to the AV closet. AV guys will run 1 RG6 from the AV closet to each of the 8 tvs and have me a panel in the closet with power ready to go. All done before drywall so I wont have a need to go into the attic later to run wires.

And I'll also be running wires for security cameras around the house as well...

Today was a good day...

Last edited by NathanJax; 09-21-2016 at 04:50 PM..
Old 09-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Forum Moderator / Ball Buster

Chips: 3,614,046,182
sunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant future

Surround sound speaker wire?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:13 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetpizza View Post
Surround sound speaker wire?
Gonna do rears in the living room that go to the living room tv for rear surround, but also go to AV closet for home audio.

Back porch speakers to a volume control then from the living room tv and from AV closet

Speakers in garage to volume control from AV closet and from tv in garage

And a couple more, so yeah, basically whole home audio as well.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:43 AM
Forum Moderator / Ball Buster

Chips: 3,614,046,182
sunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant future

Check out Sonos before you get too attached to volume controls on the walls. I've got plates in all my rooms from when the house was built and I've bypassed them all with sonos. We use our phones to control it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video