Bartop Arcade Machine: Tempest - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video

Old 04-26-2016, 06:39 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 296,475,673
Richard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud of
Default Bartop Arcade Machine: Tempest

I'm back into the MAME cabinet game. This time I'm building a small bartop version of an old classic, Tempest. A midget clone, if you will. Can't wait for the jokes.

Here's the original early 80's cabinet design:

Some progress pics

First thing I built was the control panel. Glued it up and used some brad nails to hold it together while the glue dried. I went back later and filled them and some other imperfections with bondo and sanded smooth.

Sides and other pieces cut out

I covered all the areas that will be exposed with black laminate. This also shows the area I recessed for a 25c coin button with a red LED. It's made to look like the ones that are found on coin doors.

Put the back on - and cut out an area for exhaust via a computer case fan. Slots were cut for T-molding. Both the back and the control panel will use piano hinges painted black.

I printed out the artwork I have been editing for the control overlay on regular paper and glued it down with 3m 77 to line up the drilling for the buttons and spinner.

1p and 2p start buttons are also red LED lit. I wish I could have found the traditional red "volcano" buttons but they're extremely rare and if found ridiculously expensive. So these will have to do. Yellow button is just one i had lying around, I'm not going to use yellow in the final machine.

Here's a further mockup.

Next up....
  • mount the LCD properly in the case
  • get the artwork for the sides and CPO printed on vinyl
  • apply artwork
  • install marquee board and lights
  • install marquee art/plexiglass sandwich
  • add T-molding
  • setup the computer inside
  • wire up the buttons
  • attach fan
  • bezel and tinted plexi over LCD
  • speakers - internal speaker of cpu is working, but might add different speakers
  • power strip change?
  • change power on button to control all power to case not just cpu
  • rubber feet
  • program the interface
  • play games

Build video later.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Richard Cranium; 07-05-2016 at 01:58 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2016, 07:21 PM
Drama Queen

Chips: 220,199,402
CarsAndGames is a glorious beacon of lightCarsAndGames is a glorious beacon of lightCarsAndGames is a glorious beacon of lightCarsAndGames is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bartop Arcade Machine: Tempest

I would LOVE one of those.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:10 AM
Ruthless Bookie

Chips: 598,037,448,317
Shadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGames View Post
I would LOVE one of those.
Be careful of what you say...

(NM) I'm being sued for the price of a bowl that I never agreed to buy. Help. : legaladvice
Old 04-27-2016, 03:02 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 1,099,722,773
Swanky is the pimp of pimpsSwanky is the pimp of pimpsSwanky is the pimp of pimpsSwanky is the pimp of pimpsSwanky is the pimp of pimpsSwanky is the pimp of pimpsSwanky is the pimp of pimpsSwanky is the pimp of pimpsSwanky is the pimp of pimpsSwanky is the pimp of pimpsSwanky is the pimp of pimps

This is looking pretty sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T
I think Swanky's post was spot on....did I really say that? - 11 MAY 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewind
Crap - I agree with the Aussie. I must go re-evaluate my life. 11 MAY 2016
Old 05-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Richard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud of

Artwork at the printer. I'm working on the computer to run the games at this point.

Spoiler:
Old 05-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Plastic Surgeon

LCD installed

Marquee box and LED lights installed. This is a temporary paper marquee, real one with plexi later.

Waiting on side and control panel artwork to arrive in the mail.

Spoiler:
Old 05-11-2016, 12:42 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,676,962,814,985
T v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimps

this just dawned on me......

You making a bar top version so you can stand on the floor and play it?

T
"T amuses me. He is also an a$$hole." Joe Bass 4/20/10
Old 05-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Plastic Surgeon

T:

Please refer back to OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
A midget clone, if you will. Can't wait for the jokes.

Spoiler:
Old 05-23-2016, 01:10 PM
Plastic Surgeon

New marquee printed, and encased in plexi.

I was going to mount the different parts of the computer to the inside directly, but I figured out how to basically screw the entire case onto the rear panel door. Made things much easier. I also rigged up a button on the outside of the cabinet to turn it on and off. (button not shown here)

LCD doesn't show in this pic, but my youngest son is playing Gyruss here. You can see that I have the 25c coin button working at this point.

Side art and control panel overlay has been applied. T-Molding has been added. Control panel mounted in place via the piano hinge and velcro. Spinner has been installed. Custom boot images in place instead of the windows logos.

Spoiler:
Old 05-23-2016, 01:26 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 24,180,278,712,083
Oz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimps

Looking good!!!!

"It is not our disability that is the problem, but rather it is the way our disabilities are viewed by others"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video