Recently switched to a cable ISP... Router/Modem questions - Page 2 - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video

Old 03-08-2016, 06:45 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,957,830,000,025
Doctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimps
Default Re: Recently switched to a cable ISP... Router/Modem questions

I'm thinkin' CRAW & Q will make "a deal".

If you're interested, PM me your mailing info or whatever. Make me an offer, to include shipping. If you have PayPal or BitCoin or Ripple or whatever I can get it into the mail tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 05:29 AM
"D" Cup

Chips: 8,697,828,030
j7r6s is a splendid one to beholdj7r6s is a splendid one to beholdj7r6s is a splendid one to beholdj7r6s is a splendid one to beholdj7r6s is a splendid one to beholdj7r6s is a splendid one to behold

I've been using one of the surfboard modems for five years or so now with no issues.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:06 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 4,021,778,105
Hirize is a glorious beacon of lightHirize is a glorious beacon of lightHirize is a glorious beacon of light

Just like quads to cock block you DrXXX!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:09 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 1,358,620
CRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of light

Shit! That's a great price, Q, but I need a router, and would like to have the pkg modem/router. I'll let you know today if I'll buy it or if you can sell it to Pauld. Thanks.

I'm currently paying for the 50mb/sec pkg (could upgrade to 100 or 150 in the future), and as stated above, yes, I need a router. My old router was just that, old, so I threw it away when I started renting Mediacom's.

Do I buy Q's, and have to fuck w/ two units, or just bite the bullet and buy the SBG6580 all-in-one pkg?
Old 03-09-2016, 08:23 AM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,824,283,602
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

I'm not trying to sell mine, but I went from always having two devices (modem, and router) to now (U-Verse) where they've glued both together, and I want my old set up back. So much so that I run another wifi router outside of the u-verse modem/router device to have more configuration, control and options. (guest network, kids, etc.)

I flip one switch and kill my kids internet. "Boom! Are homework and chores done?" Before, it was 'log in, find password, kill their mac addresses, save, reboot, etc.. Rinse repeat when they were done with their shit. It was just a pita.

I'd look hard at the router / modem you're buying and make sure it does 100% everything you want, now and future.

Again, not pushing my modem, but just look at what you need, want, etc. for configuration, changes, options, etc.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:34 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,957,830,000,025
Doctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimps

I think both of the models you are looking at (6580 & 6141) "only" bond up to 8 channels, so you're probably going to be maxed at around 150-ish Mbps on speeds. That sounds like enough for you now, and they are the models your ISP is suggesting. Either should work, aside from the router/non-router angle.

If you are thinking of buying something NOT from your ISP, might as well take Q's modem off of him, and spend the "savings" on a kick-a$$ stand-alone wireless router, like THIS. Just my $0.02. etc., etc., etc.

BTW: There is no "F-ing-with" needed on the modem-side, whatever way you go. Once you let your ISP know the S/N of the unit, they pair it up, and away you go. Updates and whatever should happen all automagically. The router (stand-alone or built-in) is another story...but you'll "have to" do that sort of stuff, either way.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:17 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 1,358,620
CRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quads View Post
I flip one switch and kill my kids internet. "Boom! Are homework and chores done?" Before, it was 'log in, find password, kill their mac addresses, save, reboot, etc.. Rinse repeat when they were done with their shit. It was just a pita.
Now this sounds like something I want to learn how to do!

I'll PM you regarding the router, Q. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_XXX View Post
If you are thinking of buying something NOT from your ISP, might as well take Q's modem off of him, and spend the "savings" on a kick-a$$ stand-alone wireless router, like THIS. Just my $0.02. etc., etc., etc.
That router scares me. Looks like something out of the movie Alien.

In all seriousness though, what router would be best for my modest setup/home?
Old 03-09-2016, 06:14 PM
Badministrator

Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

ezpz, $40 TP Link wifi access point that is for the kids. They don't have the pw to get on the other wifi networks, just theirs. Hit a power switch, those little bastards listen up. Chores get done, I turn it back on.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:17 PM
Ruthless Bookie

Chips: 598,037,448,524
Shadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quads View Post
ezpz, $40 TP Link wifi access point that is for the kids. They don't have the pw to get on the other wifi networks, just theirs. Hit a power switch, those little bastards listen up. Chores get done, I turn it back on.
I soooooo need to do this...
Old 03-09-2016, 06:33 PM
Badministrator

I'll bring you an AP this weekend if you want. I have some leftover from Au.
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video

Tags
cable, isp, modem, router