Recently switched to a cable ISP... Router/Modem questions - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video

Old 03-08-2016, 02:52 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 1,358,437
CRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of light
Default Recently switched to a cable ISP... Router/Modem questions

So I recently switched to a cable based ISP, and they are of course charging me a monthly fee to use their modem/router. I would like to buy my own, but I don't know much about them (what's good, what to look for, etc).

Can someone point me in the right direction? Maybe even go so far as to suggest some units to me?

All the ISP was able to provide me was that my equipment I purchase must be "DOCSIS 3.0 or higher."

TYIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 03:05 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 4,021,777,902
Hirize is a glorious beacon of lightHirize is a glorious beacon of lightHirize is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Recently switched to a cable ISP... Router/Modem questions

Who is the company and do they have a website? They should tell you compatable units by model. Also just google the company and what cable modems work, there will be something out there.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:24 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 1,358,437
CRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of light

Mediacom is the ISP.

I tried searching and it wasn't as cut and dry as I would have liked so I came here knowing there are plenty here that know about networking.

Leaning towards this one: Amazon.com: ARRIS SURFboard SBG6580 Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem and Wi-Fi N600 Router - Retail Packaging - Black: Electronics

Anybody have an opinion on it?

Last edited by CRAW; 03-08-2016 at 03:30 PM..
Old 03-08-2016, 03:50 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,957,830,000,103
Doctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimps

I've got the ARRIS SB6190...didn't need the "built-in" router crap, since I've got my own already.

I love it. With the service package I pay for, I get 300Mbps down consistently, with the modem locked in and bonded on 24 downstream channels. It is great.

I'm thinking the SB6580 is pretty much the same, just with all of the router-stuff baked in?

EDIT: Looks like Mediacom is suggesting the SB6141 (modem alone) or SBG6580 (modem/router, like you list). Either one should do you well...do you NEED a new router? What service level are you paying for...what speeds are you looking to achieve?

EDIT #2: I've got a USED SB6141 sitting on the corner of my desk. Looks like brand new ones are 70 or 80 bucks. If you don't need the router-stuff baked-in, make me an offer. It worked fine, but in order to get the 300Mbps speeds more consistently (and POTENTIALLY 1Gbps in the future), I stepped up to the SB6190 late last year. It comes with a power brick & short CAT-5e cable. LMK.

Last edited by Doctor_XXX; 03-08-2016 at 04:15 PM..
Old 03-08-2016, 05:04 PM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,824,283,457
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

Hang on... I got a LNIB cable mode around here somewhere that I'll never use.....
hang on, let me find it.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Badministrator

Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

Got one of these. Bought it. Didn't use it.
Amazon.com: ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White: Computers Accessories

$45 shipped.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:47 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Doctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimps

Dude! You took the "sale" right out from under me! Grrrrrrrrr.

Just kidding. Same model that I have, but not the box, etc. If you go with a non-router model, Quads' offer is probably best. If anybody else wants/needs one of these too, LMK. It is just sitting here, collecting dust.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:54 PM
Badministrator

Fvck. Sorry dude. I didn't read all of your thread.
My bad.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:02 PM
Plastic Surgeon

HA! It's all good.

Yours looks like a nicer, more complete setup, with the wrapping, box, manual, etc. And the price is right. Anyone looking for one of these should jump on it, immediately. Save a few bucks on your monthly bill!!!
Old 03-08-2016, 06:30 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 10,251,911,583
pauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimps

Put me in queue behind Craw. I need one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video

Tags
cable, isp, modem, router