Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video

Old 08-04-2014, 08:54 AM
"A" Cup

Chips: 61,654
Pete Rod is a pretty cool catPete Rod is a pretty cool cat
Default Re: Amazon Fire TV "XBMC"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzbim View Post
Pete - how do you get around the apps? are you using the amazon provided remote or a mouse/keyboard?

reason i'm asking, in Showbox, the app acts like it's on a swipe-able phone, meaning i can't go up/down/left/right with amazon's remote. however my logitech allows me to hold down the left mouse button and scroll around.
I use the Logitech K400. I have also used the Hausbell Mini H7. The mapping on the Mini tends to be off on a key or two but for the most part works well. The K400 so far works great. Yesterday I tested the Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard N5901. This one also works well but if you have big hands like me this is not the controller for you. All these you can find on Amazon at the best prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 08:56 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 400,385,031,285
nuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to behold

pete - i use that leveno as well, i got the brand mixed up. works really well for me.

for the boxes i sell, i include this remote - Amazon.com: Ortek Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition: Electronics.

i'll need to test tonight if it'll work with the firetv.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:10 AM
"A" Cup

One thing I am very surprised with is that the Harmony remotes do not work with Amazon fire TV. No Bluetooth options with Harmony. You would think the ATV would have a IR option.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:19 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

nuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to behold

for android users, you can use Yatse after you launch the xbmc app on the FireTv.

one drawback for n00bs, you can't easily access xmbc straight from amazon's interface. you have to go into settings, manage apps, launch XBMC.

probably not a huge issue for the folks on this board (except JC) since we're all pretty tech savvy.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,957,830,000,025
Doctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimps

This is some good stuff. I'm excited to hear about the successes (and pain points) in side-loading the apps needed on this thing.

I've got a AFTV arriving tomorrow. XBMC will be my main thing, but some of the other apps sound like winners, too. Oh, and I'm still looking for a VPN "solution", too.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:10 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

if you're already a current amazon prime member, the fire tv is a no brainer. only drawback is it's based on android, so the hd's aren't being recognized, but like pete said, maybe plex will pick it up.

doc if you have questions, you got my email, let me know if i can help.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Doctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
if you're already a current amazon prime member, the fire tv is a no brainer. only drawback is it's based on android, so the hd's aren't being recognized, but like pete said, maybe plex will pick it up.

doc if you have questions, you got my email, let me know if i can help.
Sounds good.

When you say HDs aren't recognized, do you mean directly connected (USB) HDs, or NAS (remote) HDs?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:38 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

direct connect. i had my 1tb and 32gb usb stick plugged into the hub. didn't recognize either of them. but it did pick up the remote. i didn't try the network option.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Quote:
direct connect. i had my 1tb and 32gb usb stick plugged into the hub. didn't recognize either of them. but it did pick up the remote. i didn't try the network option.
Gotcha. I haven't used a directly connected HD in a while.

Now, the NAS on the other hand...

In any case, that will be my first thing out of the gate, testing it to see if the XBMC app can stream a vid from the NAS in the other room. If it can handle a full HD/7.1/super high bitrate flick (like the last Transformers or The LEGO Movie) then I'll be 95% happy. [Those two gave the RPi too many hiccups, and were nearly unwatchable with buffering, etc. Had to grab lower quality versions in order for the RPi to process them properly.]
Old 08-04-2014, 01:39 PM
"A" Cup

Ok so what I have read so far this device will stream from Plex and NSA network drives. Time to get testing........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video