Bar with keg box? - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Design, Plan and Build the Perfect Man Cave

Old 02-08-2010, 11:20 AM
"B" Cup

Chips: 64,404
Dennis is a pretty cool catDennis is a pretty cool cat
Default Bar with keg box?

I'm planning on building a bar for my future mancave. I've been looking over the plans @ barplans.com. Has anyone built the kegbox in their plans - using a dorm fridge to cool it? I was wondering how well the thing worked. Can it cool multiple kegs? I hope to have a 2 tap tower with Guinness and Harp - I'm going for an Irish Pub design.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 11:32 AM
"D" Cup

Chips: 1,668,781
JumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bar with keg box?

Do a search for kegerator and you'll find some good info!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 PM
"B" Cup

I have done a lot of reading on kegerators. Multiple keg units look pricy - even used. I'd have to refit it for Guinness as well. That's why I'm looking at the keg box plan.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:42 PM
"D" Cup

Chips: 1,668,781
JumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry. I thought they were the same thing. Carry on.

Someone here probably knows about them.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:50 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 48,391,044
Irish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimps

For multiple 1/2 kegs (i.e. not corny kegs), you're best bet is probably turning a freezer into a frig (sometimes called a "keezer" instead of a kegerator). Check out the thread below for a good start:

https://perfectmancave.com/forum/show...hlight=freezer
Old 02-08-2010, 08:45 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 285,706,920
Slev is a glorious beacon of lightSlev is a glorious beacon of lightSlev is a glorious beacon of light

If you're looking for a keg box for a single keg, there is basically no cost difference between building your own kegerator or buying one, just a hell of alot less work in just buying one. I purchased the kegerator for my bar from Wal-mart (online) for $450, all I had to do was take the tower off the kegerator top, attached it to my bar top & add an insulated exteneder (2" pvc inside 3" pvc with spray foam) to the underside of the bar (basically $5 worth of material).

I say this because I planned on building my own keg box until I added up the cost of all materials.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:16 AM
"B" Cup

I would agree with that completely if I was only planning on a single keg. But I'm not.

My preferred brew is Guinness - my mancave, my beer. But since I plan on hosting and I realize that not everyone enjoys the black stuff, I think I also need some lager on tap - Harp, to keep it Irish.

So I'll need a 2-keg bar. As I've said, multikeg kegerators seem expensive, even used on craigslist. 2 separate kegerators would work, but they'd be even more expensive and use more electricity.

Since the keg boxes in the barplan.com setups use the bar itself as framing, I think only the cost of the mini-fridge, insulation, tower & conversion kits can be weighed against the cost of a multikeg kegerator (which would still need convertin to Guinness). I haven't run the numbers yet, but it seems that the keg box would be cheaper. But that still leaves my original question - has anyone here made one and how well did it work?

The chest freezer idea is very interesting, but I see a couple of possible problems. They have their door on top so wouldn't heaving a full keg in to one be a bitch? For me space is at a premium, so I want to keep the kegs neatly tucked under the bar - wouldn't that make for an access problem with the top-mounted door on a chest freezer? Anyone here with experience using a chest freezer?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,824,283,527
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

I've seen a few freezer conversions done, and there is a thermostat link posted here which takes all the brain work out of it. I have one, but it's not used for beer, it's still a freezer, so I see your point about loading full kegs into it. Pony, Half, etc. wouldn't have any issues, but a full keg, that's going to require some help.
The alternative to that, because I'm such a fan of the freezer conversion is a stand up chest freezer. That, you can easily stack full, half, or pony kegs, and won't have the issue is loading them in and out, and has a smaller footprint than a top load chest freezer.

Here is the quick and easy thread on the device to buy to convert:
https://perfectmancave.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17404

Specifically, this doodad right here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...ontroller.html

Last edited by Quads; 02-09-2010 at 10:13 AM..
Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 AM
"B" Cup

Chips: 700,021,705
Bets5150 is a pretty cool catBets5150 is a pretty cool cat

I helped a friend build one 3 years ago...fairly easy. The key is insulation and fans. We couldn't get the ice box cold enough, added I believe 3 fans and that was the ticket. We did make it big enough for 2 kegs (15 gallons) and still works fine. We ended up adding a forth fan which circulated air towards the tower. We also ran the CO2 airhose thru the insulation and placed the tank outside of the ice box. Make sure that the door seals properly. One last thing, you need to get a fridge with the exposed coils in the back.

By making the ice box bigger, he did loose some storage under the bar.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 100,025,659
Wedge Rock is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
The chest freezer idea is very interesting, but I see a couple of possible problems. They have their door on top so wouldn't heaving a full keg in to one be a bitch? For me space is at a premium, so I want to keep the kegs neatly tucked under the bar - wouldn't that make for an access problem with the top-mounted door on a chest freezer? Anyone here with experience using a chest freezer?
My brother in law built a bar around a huge fishtank... The bartop is hinged so he can clean the fishtank. Maybe the same thing would work for you? Hinge the bartop so you can get into a chest freezer...

Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Design, Plan and Build the Perfect Man Cave