New house - A/V questions - Page 2 - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video

Old 09-22-2016, 04:03 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 108,250,019,584
NathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New house - A/V questions

We are looking in to that too, but wired will always be an option and good for selling as well. Just like wiring Ethernet to the tvs a for appletv and stuff. They can do wireless, but if you can do wired, I think it's always a better option. There's plenty of options for iPhone controls for hard wired systems too
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2016, 08:52 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

NathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to beholdNathanJax is a splendid one to behold

Bumping this thread since I'm running my wires this weekend. I have a 42" structured wiring panel in the A/V closet upstairs in the middle of the house.

Had the A/V guy run run 1 RG6 to each room and then followed behind him with cat6. Goes like this

Living Room downstairs - 2 RG6 - 4 cat6
Living Room upstairs - 1 RG6 - 3 cat6
Master bedroom - 1 RG6 - 3 cat6
Bedroom 2 - 1 RG6 - 3 cat6
Bedroom 3 - 1 RG6 - 3 cat6
Bedroom 4 - 1 RG6 - 3 cat6
Bedroom 5 - 1 RG6 - 3 cat6
Garage - 1 RG6 - 3 cat6
Back Porch - 1 RG6 - 1 cat6

Ran theater speakers for the downstairs living room. Going to do 7.1. I ran wiring for the sides and rears that will be in ceiling. The rears will also be wired/used as whole home audio speakers. Also ran speaker wiring from the A/V closet to the garage and back porch. Every room will have a volume control so cat6 to each of those as well.

I'll get some pics once everything is up before drywall goes up.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:11 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Today was a good day. about 3/4 done with wiring. Should have it wrapped up tomorrow. TV/Video/Internet is done. About 1/3rd way through whole home audio.

-9 TV runs (explained above)
-2 extra Ethernet runs in the dining/flex room. Not sure if it will be a computer room or formal dining room yet
-10 security cameras (orange cat6 cables)

So 48 wires for that above, then whole home audio will be a 10 zone system with cat5e wires also going to every volume control.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:26 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 4,021,778,105
Hirize is a glorious beacon of lightHirize is a glorious beacon of lightHirize is a glorious beacon of light

What about Bluetooth?????
Old 01-02-2017, 07:20 PM
"E" Cup Heavy Hangers

Chips: 2,889,118,906
DrNeau has a brilliant futureDrNeau has a brilliant futureDrNeau has a brilliant futureDrNeau has a brilliant futureDrNeau has a brilliant futureDrNeau has a brilliant futureDrNeau has a brilliant futureDrNeau has a brilliant futureDrNeau has a brilliant future

That panel is going to be a mess Mine looks like an electrician barfed in it.

And I'm sorry I never mentioned this before: Run a tube from the utility room to the attic for future unforeseen wiring needs.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:04 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 4,021,778,105
Hirize is a glorious beacon of lightHirize is a glorious beacon of lightHirize is a glorious beacon of light

/\ /\ WORD!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:49 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

I'm done. 13 hours by myself. Ran 85 wires which if I paid the A/V guy from KB Home, would have cost me $5,100. (they wanted $60 a wire)

Wiring in panel broken down

15 RG6 - 5 from outside to panel (1 cable & 4 satellite) and 10 to 9 TV locations (living room got two cables)

10 Orange cat6 - 10 security cameras

28 Yellow cat6 - 3 to each of the 9 tv location (4 to the main living room) plus 2 in the flex/formal dining room

2 Blue cat5e - telephone in and telephone outlet in kitchen (must have 1 hardwired phone line per builder)

10 Blue cat6 - 10 volume controls

20 white speaker wires to the 10 volume controls

I'll post more pics of the framing and wiring later, but here's the last pic of the panel before leaving today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNeau View Post
And I'm sorry I never mentioned this before: Run a tube from the utility room to the attic for future unforeseen wiring needs.
AV closet is on the 2nd floor with easy access to attic. No issues running and wires later around the upstairs. Downstairs will be a little difficult, but I did leave access holes to get a few wires down if I REALLY need to later. With all the wires ran, I don't think I'll ever have a need...

Last edited by NathanJax; 01-02-2017 at 08:52 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video