Mini-racetrack Table - Page 4 - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Poker, Gaming, and Other Tables

Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 AM
"B" Cup

Chips: 60,987
mikeyinsd is a pretty cool catmikeyinsd is a pretty cool cat
Send a message via AIM to mikeyinsd
Default Re: New Year's Resolution - Get Working on a New Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Nothing catastrophic like shrapnel, the bit usually just falls over in place.
Have you tried taking smaller bites? I usually do mine in 1/4" intervals. I've used a spiral uncut bit once and it broke too. tried to get too aggressive with it i guess. Now I just use a regular 1/4" bit.

check out my website! www.hmpokertables.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 11:39 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 48,390,414
Irish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyinsd View Post
Have you tried taking smaller bites? I usually do mine in 1/4" intervals. I've used a spiral uncut bit once and it broke too. tried to get too aggressive with it i guess. Now I just use a regular 1/4" bit.
I was shattering those bits only taking 1/4" at a time. It had to be vibration in the router, I switched back to my porter cable router and haven't broken one since.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:58 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Irish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimps

Got some more work done on this table. The pearl inlays have been installed, stained the racetrack and have begun finishing it:

Put the flash on for these shots, I was able to get the grain to just show through when viewed up close, it's a really neat effect.

Shooting to have this finished up in a couple of weeks...
Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 1,854,908,028,479
j p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimps

did you varnish first before the inlays? did you use a plunge bit of the exact diameter of the inlay or make a very small template and router it out?
Old 07-30-2012, 08:08 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by j p frog View Post
did you varnish first before the inlays? did you use a plunge bit of the exact diameter of the inlay or make a very small template and router it out?
The inlays were exactly 1/2" in diameter (they were the largest pearl "dots" I could find already cut), so I was able to cheat and use my 1/2" straight bit & router. That got me the nice round cut, but I needed to clean up the inside of hole some with a small chisel and dremel. Once the hole was cut and cleaned out, I secured the pearl dot with some super glue and then rubbed some wood filler over the whole thing to make sure there weren't any gaps around the inlay. Sanded flush/clean, stained and now I'm polying over the whole thing.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 1,854,908,028,479
j p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimps

nice work sir...can't wait to see the final product
Old 08-09-2012, 09:26 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Some more progress over the past few days. The racetrack is all poly'd and good to go, now I'm building up the riser and rail. This table will have a 1.5" raised rail with a wood/cracked ice diffuser, back lit with LEDs. Since both the racetrack and the rail cover will be black, I went with a dark red oak color stain on the riser to try and accent the table. Not sure if I 100% like it yet, I probably won't be able to tell until I get the rail covered.

Some progress pics:

Building up the raised rail :

I was able to salvage the 5" top rail plate from the old table and use it as a fill sheet for the riser. It saved me some cutting, though it was a good reminder of what a pain in the ass it is to work with MDF.

Rail & internal riser pieces assembled in and place:

And one last pic with the rail removed:

Next up I have to clean up and round off the corners of the rail, get it upholstered, and get the LEDs installed. The finish line is almost in sight.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:35 AM
Thread Killer

Chips: 33,586
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

So Awesome!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:27 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Default Re: New Year's Resolution - New Mini-racetrack Table

Finished assembling & upholstering the playing surface insert last night. I ended up shaving a hair off the height of that flexible white plastic piece I found, it was exactly 3/4" and the ply was a slightly under 3/4". It was very nice to work with though - very flexible, no issues with attaching it around the plywood (I used brad nails and a nail gun), and it held the staples in fastening the cloth. A few pics:

Insert all wrapped and padded with 1/4 HD foam:

Tacked down the SSC and sprayed a light layer of 3M adhesive:

All secured and trimmed:

And secured in place on the table. It's been a while since I've done a racetrack, I forgot was a pain in the ass it is to get the playing area to fit *just* right. Took a bit of sanding the edges (before attaching the plastic) to get it fit.

Upholstering the rail later today, then it's on to securing the riser diffuser and installing the LEDs. The LED strip I had ordered was about 10" too short, so I've got another one incoming to bridge the gap. We've got a tourney next Saturday, I'm hoping it arrives early this week so I can get everything installed and finished.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Default Re: Mini-racetrack Table

Upholstered the rail yesterday afternoon:

My real secret to getting a good rail - slave wage child labor ...

All stapled up and trimmed:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Poker, Gaming, and Other Tables