Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

Running TV signal outside

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Wedge Rock 
#1 ·
We are going to wire our covered patio for a tv. At the same time I want to be able to "easily" hook up a projector on a long hdmi cable to run to the yard for an outdoor movie screen.
I have easy attic access from our master bedroom to the location outdoors.
I'd like use the FIOS box in the bedroom for the signal outside since I really won't be watching TV on separate channels in both places at once.

So I need to run electric to the patio. I have an electrician friend coming over to help run wires but he admits he hasn't run too much audio/video. Before tuesday, I need to have whatever we need other than basic elec boxes and wires.

So how do I do this?
cable box and tv in MBR
TV outside with abililty to control channel changing on the indoor box. I think having the box indoors protects it from heat/moisture as well as a nice clean look outside.
Also outside I'd like to be able to hook up a secondary HDMI cable to run to the projector to show tv/movies on a big screen - about 15' from the other tv. For simplicity a blue ray player could just sit beside the projector for DVD watching.
Lastly we need to run audio out of the tv to the RCA input jacks to my SONOS amp in the master bedroom to power tv sound to my "to be installed" patio speakers. The SONOS will in turn link to the other unit that runs the rock speakers behind the pool and I will have TV/movie sound all around the pool.

What types of jacks/hdmi switches, etc do I need to get to make this all work? Would I use some kind of IR repeater to be able to change channels outside? Any recommendations for that?

Thanks guys...

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd worry about signal degradation over a long cable run. You may have to add a signal amp.

Instead of an IR repeater, does the cable box have bluetooth capability? There are apps for iphone and android that can turn your phone into a remote.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.