Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

Windows7 Subforum

214 views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  Quads 
#1 ·
OK techheads...the Mrs computer shut down last night - I didn't see what happened and she couldn't accurately describe it. She rebooted and Windows Error Recovery popped up. Two options there:

Launch Repair: choosing this option takes you to the blue login screen complete with pointer and blue spinning 'thinking' circle. However the circle goes away and the pointer sits there, but no CTRL-ALT-DEL prompt appears allowing login. I've left it for 30 minutes - no change.

Start Normally: screen goes to black and just dies there

I used F12 to run the hardware diagnostic - all systems passed.

I used F8:

Repair your computer:
- "Windows is loading files"
- Microsoft Corporation with green moving processing bar
- Goes to blue login screen as above (no C-A-D prompt)

Safe Mode:
- "Loading Windows Files"
- Loads a bunch of files, reaches \Windows\System32\Drivers\AVGIDSEH.Sys and stops
- HD spins for ~30 seconds and stops

Last Known Good Config:
- "Starting Windows" with wavy 4-color window
- HD runs for ~30 seconds, then stops

Enable Boot Logging: same as above

Debugging Mode: same as above

Directory Services Restore Mode:
- runs same as Safe Mode (loading files)
- after AVGIDSEH.Sys it says
"Microsoft Windows 6.1 2 system processors [4061MB] Multi Processor Kernel System is booting in safe mode - Directory Service Repair
- HD spins, stops

I've looked high and low for a Windows 7 CD to try and boot from, but either they never sent one or we lost it. I'm betting highly against losing it because the Mrs keeps everything. Plus I'm looking at the packing slip and no Win7 CD/DVD is listed. I did write to Dell asking for one, but being a whole 3 months out of warranty, they ask you for $200 or kick you to the curb.

Suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
What version of Winders 7?
Home, pro, etc.?

Do you have another machine you can create a bootable DVD / CD and use in the broked machine?

It stopping at AVGIDSEH.Sys is weird. Lemme ax you dis...
When was the last time you did a bad ass virus scan?
This tells me that you have some virus issues.
AVGIDSEH.Sys - Google Search

Couple of items point to that being a corrupt AVG file, which needs to be removed / renamed / deleted.

you can create a boot CD through Ubuntu, Hirens, or others and get a basic file manager and get rid of it. Hirens Cd also has all the other tools for virus removal, etc.

#3 ·
Windows Home

Yes, I've got my work laptop I can still use.

The Mrs runs AVG - not sure if she's got a regular scan setup or not nor when it would have last run.

you can create a boot CD through Ubuntu, Hirens, or others and get a basic file manager and get rid of it. Hirens Cd also has all the other tools for virus removal, etc.
OK...uh, I more of an application guy, so can you break that down into maybe 3-10 precise steps?

#7 ·
I've used it for years, and have been very very happy with it. Others use diff. products and are happy with them. Cant' say that was the issue, but I can say I love AVG and it works very very well, in a very small footprint (memory, HDD, cpu, etc.)

#14 ·
I usually run two or three of the different virus scanners. I had to walk my old man through it over the phone a few months ago.
From the reading I did earlier in that google search, I'd kill that file that is suspect. Virus scan. Rescan with a diff. tool, then see if it will boot. Then once in (booted) reinstall AVG or the virus scanner of your choice.

#15 ·
Update: The Hirens CD didn't work. I launched the MiniWinXP to run the Virus scanners, but that just left me at a blurry XP-looking screen. No mouse or keyboard options.

But reviewing your Google links I read the CNET forum on AVG and they have a RescueCD (like Hirens, but just for AVG). I used it to rename all the AVG*.SYS files in /Win/sys32/drivers to .bak files (which hopefully I'll nuke later and reinstall AVG from scratch).

When I rebooted I still got the Windows Error Recovery, but this time selecting Launch Repair actually set the Startup Repair in motion. Running now, we'll see what's what.

#17 ·
No worries. Glad you got it worked out.
I've never used the mini xp stuff. Always used command line, but like I said, glad you got it working and back in order.
Reinstall avg and run spybot or malwarebytes and clean it up.
Prolly a good time to do a backup of critical data while yur at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.