Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

New Chips

15K views 68 replies 21 participants last post by  CRAW 
#1 ·
I am sick of my cheap-ass, ghetto dice chips. I found a set of Chipco Egyptians for sale and I want some input from PMC.

This set looks to be in mint condition. The denom breakdown is:

• 160x$25
  • 300x$100
  • 80x$500
  • 60x$1000
  • 50x $5000
Total of 650 chips

Seller is asking $400. Now, I have been shopping around for a while, and I really prefer a compression molded chip, like ASM or Paulson. I have heard good things about Chipco. Also, my bankroll is a bit light, so I was hoping to ask the seller if he would be willing to make a trade.

Anyway, if someone has experience with Chipco chips, let me know. Thanks.

#37 ·
Actually, I saw a guy do this once and his way around it was to reverse the denoms: since the low denoms were coloured up early in the tourney, they were available for the cash as higher denoms.

But, yeah, it's as good an idea as setting the value to all the chips in a cash game (regardless of colour) at twenny-five cents. That's a pain.

#38 ·
$20s chips are not as versatile although you can easily use them in a tourney so it is not a major drawback. However, most of the cash game people don't just rebuy $20 at a time. Also, there aren't too many sets with $20 in it, especially if you are looking into buying higher end stuff.

#39 ·
I like a $20 chip because a $40 rebuy (typical in a 25c/50c game) is just two chips, and when stacking, a standard stack is an even hundo, as opposed to the odd total of $125.

The differences are subtle. If given the option, I'd take a $20 chip over a $25 every time. But the differences are so minimal that $25 chips are still a viable option.

#41 ·
We often don't get that kind of action at a 25c/50c game, but you still need to cut a stack of 20 down into 4 stacks of 5 when you are cashing out.

If you are looking for a set to handle a $1/$2 game, a $25 chip might make more sense. If its a non-custom set, I don't think you'll have the option...it'll have to be a $25 chip.

#50 ·
Man those desert palms are nice for cash. .25s, 1s, & 5s for sure. Maybe a very small handful of 25s for rebuying etc. That chocolate $2 chip is sharp though but so not really necessary...

#53 ·
$20 are common in med/ stake limit games, (60/120, 80/160) games, as well California card rooms. I used to see them a lot in card rooms / chips from old Ca./ card rooms.
They're old school, the purist of poker.
I personally think they're pimp.

#59 ·
Just ordered a sample set of these. Good price (especially with the double-secret PMC discount). Might be an inexpensive way to begin, what I'm sure will develop into, a chip obsession.

Anyone here own these UPC chips? Opinions?

#61 ·
I have those chips, both cash and tournament versions. They are China Clays, and ^sawed-off^ up above me is correct, there are some height inconsistencies, at least from the batch I got on a group buy. So, you may onyl be able to get 19 vs 20 in a chip rack. It's slight, so when stacking it may look like even 20-stacks are actually short one chip. Personally, even with my condition, I get past it. The chips sound great, have good weight, the labels applied evenly and easily, they shuffle easily. If you keep them penned up too long then take them out they give off a bit of an odor. For a step up from dice chips, these aren't a bad way to go. Just be warned they are not what most consider true "clay chips" in the line of what Paulson, ASM are considered to be.

#62 ·
I had similar chips (same chip, different label) a few years back, they're a huge step up from dice chips IMHO, especially for the price:

As stated above, some of the colors had slightly different thickness, so when stacked 20+ high, there was some stack height discrepancies. My black/purple/yellows were all about the same, but the greys were thinner:

I very rarely have enough chips to stack them 20 high, so it didn't bother me too much. :D

#63 ·
go with desert palms over at the chiproom at chiptalk.net
They are better then dice chips and better then my nevada jacks, they feel nice sound nice and stack nice. Ya dont have to spend 500$ for a nice chip set. As a matter of fact unless you are independently wealtyh I dont see the point. With taht being said , do fall into the trap of listening to everyone and buying the msot expensive kind because peopel say they are nice. This is an awesome site for advice take it all in and get what falls in your budget. Bottom line is get what ya like

#65 ·
Update: Bought New Chips (Milano)

Just got 1000 of these last week. Used them for the first time Saturday night. They have a great feel and sound, and the price is right.

I remembered that I had 3 promotional chips from a software conference that turned out to be ASM A-molds. Great chips, but too fargin expensive to buy a set right now. These Milano chips are very similar in weight and feel.

Someday I might get a custom ASM set, but for now these will do fine for tournaments. Now I'll have to look into a cash set. Thanks for all of the input and ideas. Any PMC natives ever in the Minneapolis area, the game is at my house.

Milano Chips

Nice even stack

Colors will only get better with time

Compare to ASM chips

#67 ·
They are made by Claysmith Gaming. I bought them from Apache. Found some good review info on chiptalk. Milano is a basic injection molded chip with no metal insert. Claysmith also makes some slugged chips, but I don't like the look of their edge spots, and I will NEVER buy metal insert chips again.

The Milano mold also looks to be available with a Crazy Horse label. I preferred the Milano look. I also never found great pricing on the Crazy Horse chips.

#69 · (Edited)
Hey, guys. What's up! Long time no talk. I see the forum is still squeaking along. :(

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I'm looking to replace my old "dice" poker chips, and was wondering if all of the information in this old thread still holds true.

I'm kinda looking into the "clay" ones like Big Nerd purchased (or Pharaohs, Dunes, etc). Are those still a good bang for the buck? I play mainly cash games - fyi.

Thanks, and hope everyone is still doing well.

EDIT: Just watched this and I'm more confused than ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.