Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

New member, my man cave journey

8K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  CRAW 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy folks,
New member, first post. I just found this site and looks like an awesome forum to discuss all things man cavish (which I'm in the process of pimpin out)

First off, I'm a normal guy, love my poker, beer, and building stuff (using tools). I've played poker for many years, but it wasn't until I was invited into a neighbors crazy man cave for a poker game that I decided to up the ante, getting a set of nice chips. That led to me needing a padded table so I wouldn't damage the chips...

I built my first table (round 46") after studying hours of how too's online. It turned out good. Check out the pics below.

That led me to wanting a side table for drinks, which resulted in these two creations, a TV table with padded SSC and cupholders, and a hydrolic stainless base with a poker top to match the first table. This table lowers to coffee table height and raises to standing height. Cool, eh?

The next evolution occurred when I discovered some industrial mini restaurant bistro tables on CL for $5 each. I converted these into mini poker side tables, that can be used for poker, euchre, chess, or to keep your chips on.

I also found a new, but abused, hold'em table on CL for a steal. I upgraded this cheap table with a new rail, and just about everything else. Probably cheaper to start from scratch...

Check out my pics a feel free to comment (both good and constructive feedback welcome)

First table:

[/URL][/IMG]

TV tray drink table:

[/URL][/IMG]

Hydraulic Matching Side Table:

[/URL][/IMG]

Texas Holdem Table:

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Mini Poker / Game Tables:

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Quality Finishes All Around...

[/URL][/IMG]

Foosball Table and Neon Signs (all signs are US made):

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

See less See more
#2 ·
The side tables definitely have solid craftsmanship... But they seem too small to play a heads up game. And the rail is overkill for a drink table (IMO).

Not trying to crap on your parade. I love over-engineering. And as I said, they have quality craftsmanship. The hydraulic feature is a nice bonus (tho probably also unnecessary -- but gets points for coolness factor).

Welcome to the forum!

#6 · (Edited)
You might be surprised how much space there is to play on... Could squeeze four people in a pinch. two people, no problem! I would also add, that many items in a man cave aren't practical, they're for show... The rail isn't super practical on a side table, buts cool as hell! It IS a poker/game room after all. I get poker aficionados that come into my room and go "whoa! How cool". The padding is also useful for my son, who plays chess a lot.. He leans on it all the time when thinking about the next move. Without the rail, its just a bistro table...

That's an oversized onyx chess set.

[/URL][/IMG]

#9 · (Edited)
I didn't call you a kill joy. :p

I did ask for feedback after all, right?

Thanks for the nice comments

I have a confession, I don't physically have he Franziskaner sign in my possession yet, but its mine.. my neon sign guy hasn't delivered it yet. Of all my neons, its probably the least attractive, but we think its a one of a kind, or prototype made for the brewery. A search of the google hasn't mentioned even a hint or photo of another one out there

#11 ·
Not sure if this is the wrong venue to post chips, but here's my current compliment of chips...

1400 Milanos (1000 shown)

[/URL][/IMG]

1000 mixed Mesquite Star & Benny's Paulson set

[/URL][/IMG]

My collectible chips

[/URL][/IMG]

Ya, I'm already contemplating more purchases. :eek:

#13 ·
Not sure if have to turn in my man card, or get double bonus man card points for this one... But I hosted a ladies' night. Spent a night teaching these neighborhood ladies how to play poker. So, yes, I allowed a bunch of women to invade my man cave... But yes, I got a bunch of drunk women into my man cave ;)

Also, to update my neon status:

One of my buddies came over before my poker tourney this weekend to help with some electrical... He spent like 2 hours running electrical outlets for my game room neons... No more ugly cords hanging down to the floor level outlets. Huge shout out to Frank!!! I don't feel so bad as his helping for free... as he shipped the $30 tourney... for $200, and won $180 on a $20 cash buy in... The night's big winner! Karma for his helping make my neons pop! Getting this done was a huge priority for me!

#16 ·
who is the pussy wearing the pink shirt his wife picked out for him that was pouting on the couch that the chicks were playing poker and he couldn't play.

T

#22 · (Edited)
GAME ROOM UPDATE:

Well, I've made some changes to my setup. First, my larger table required setup/takedown each time I'd host (maybe monthly). I created a nice overhead rack system in my storage room, but then I'd have to elicit help from attendees to show up early/stay late to setup (about 5 minutes). More often than not, we'd wind up leaving the table up after each game, and it'd take a couple weeks before I'd get someone over to help out. To setup my table, it also required me to move my large curvy couch, so it made TV/movie watching less comfortable. In short, this caused disruption to our rec room.

The solution was to move my smaller pub table (with poker table top) to a different room upstairs, and replace it with my larger table on permanent display. I really liked having the pub/poker table in the rec room (it just seemed to fit), but the inconvenience of setting up my larger table has trumped. It will be nice to host cards without having extra setup considerations/hassles. Hosting two table events will still require my workout room and setting up a second table.

On that note, I made a couple reductions to my setup with a couple items that didn't work for the space. I got rid of an amazing "Lite Volleyball" neon sign, and a second table I received from a fellow chip enthusiast. Neither really worked in the space. I'm also considering reducing the chip heard some to made room for an upcoming chip group buy order (around 3000 chips). My wife has started to lay down the law regarding poker's influence in our household. My large table being up for a couple weeks each time I host (getting in the way), too many chips, the extra stored table interfering with her access to the storage room, etc... Happy wife, happy life... I'm not sure she'll ever be "happy" about anything poker related (unless it all went away), but I can try to make her less unhappy

My wife has been "coaxing" me to get rid of a number of chairs I have accumulated. I have 10 Richardson black vinyl restaurant chairs (seen below), and we have 12 black "Sam's" chairs that are similar to the Richardsons, albeit not as well made. This coaxing has inhibited my ability to actively look for nicer chairs. However, now that the larger table is on full display, it might work to my advantage to get some classier looking (more comfy) chairs for my main table, and keep the Richardsons for any 2nd table games I host... Then offload the Sam's chairs?

I did get a chance to finally install my 6th chip storage drawer (which required me to re-work a couple of the other drawers to make it fit). I will still use a drawer or two for cards and accessories, but will likely have 4 solid drawers of chips now (that's after factoring the chips I'm looking get rid of).

#24 ·
Haven't completely decided... but likely my Lucky Derby Paulson hotstamps. I think I have around 900 of them. Not sure what I'll ask.

Here's a photo of what Lucky Derby chips look like (but these are not mine).

I believe my break down is

200 pinks
200 reds
200 browns
200 blues
<100 Gray/blacks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.