TRANNS POKER SIGN - Page 2 - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Forum Sponsors, Vendors and Supplies > Vendors > The Neon Factory

Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Thread Killer

Chips: 37,151
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future
Default Re: TRANNS POKER SIGN

That

is

awesome

!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,508,285,734
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

Sweet sign. It's no Quads Poker, but it's nice.

Last edited by Trann; 03-09-2017 at 10:37 AM..
Old 07-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 10,936,651,191
Trann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimps
Send a message via AIM to Trann Send a message via MSN to Trann Send a message via Yahoo to Trann

So some big-ass package arrived...

...and when I did not hear the *tink* *tink* of loose glass...

...and then there was concern at the state of the box...

...and then there was a bit more confidence...

...and then it looked like it was in one piece...

...and then I plugged it in...

...and when it didn't light, I realized it had a switch on the power cord...

...and when I plugged it in again...

...and then it lit up beautifully...

The Backstory...

Honestly, it was a huge surprise how well things turned out. As a design guy, there's a constant dual between how I imagine things can be and how the manufacturing process can make them happen.

To be a good design guy, you need to do your research and accomodate the process so that your imagined design will be very close to the final product. Even then, you rarely "win" and you have to accept there are limitations in the medium you're designing for.

So after looking extensively through Mike's site and seeing what was possible and how things were put together, I began my journey designing a fully custom sign.

The Design...

I used the Budweiser sign as a rough template for how my script font would look and the general size of the lettering...

I wanted to use cards and chips in my design but many of the poker themed neons out on the intertubes had me annoyed at the quality of the alignment...

...but Mike told me not to worry. His neons had far better quality in their construction than that.

So I didn't worry. Much.

The need to arrange the cards ordered backwards...

...and fanned with the ace in front...

...irked me greatly. I understand it looks nice with that big ace there but it was never right to me and I couldn't live with that in a design.

So I arranged it my way.

When I finally put the elements together, this was the first design I gave to Mike...

He knew this was going to be very large, perhaps too oversized for comfort, and asked if I could tighten the look up.

Not a problem. It was, I agreed, pretty airy to start so I pulled the cards together and reduced the height of the chip stacks and the result was this...

The Result...

Compare the design to the neon I received (ignore the packing material, naturally)...

...and you'll see that Mike is a man of his word: he made it happen without the sloppiness of some neons you might see out there.

I had fully expected to see some liberties taken with the surname script because there's only so much you can do with the medium. As long as things were straight, I was probably going to be happy with it. But when the neon came back following almost every nuanced bezier curve I had drawn in both the chips and the script, I was blown away.

This won't be hung for a bit as I have to retrofit a wall with a hidden outlet and dedicated switch but when that's done, I'll provide the update picture.

Fantastic work, Mike!

Last edited by Trann; 07-26-2016 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: stale image links

Old 07-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,508,285,734
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

Outstanding review.
Great looking sign.

When does Gator get to hang it in his poker room?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Forum Sponsor

Chips: 50,036
TheNeonFactory has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the great review!!!

I can't wait to see it hung.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Trann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimps
Send a message via AIM to Trann Send a message via MSN to Trann Send a message via Yahoo to Trann

Ooo, another package!

Firm styrofoam outer shell...

Extra foam inside and... *bubble wrap* thrown in!

There she be...

...all lit up and no place to hang...

Yet: note that there are two triangle hangers near the harp for easy mounting.

At first I thought the logo was a "print" but it appears that it's really machine etched into the back side of the plexi/acrylic and that gives it the bevel effect under lighting. It's rather cool. (Edit: Yeah, it's etched. Mike's original thread says as much)

Time to start wall fitting and retro-wiring...

Last edited by Trann; 08-04-2011 at 10:36 PM..
Old 08-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,653,649,157
SniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trann View Post
Fuck, now I'm regretting not ordering one too. I'm pretty sure once I see this in your house, mike can expect an order within a couple days.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Plastic Surgeon

You can have mine for $80.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:44 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 113,083,457
BillyGoat is a splendid one to beholdBillyGoat is a splendid one to beholdBillyGoat is a splendid one to beholdBillyGoat is a splendid one to beholdBillyGoat is a splendid one to beholdBillyGoat is a splendid one to behold

That poker sign is freakin awesome Trann. Great design, great work on the finished product Neon Factory!
Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Plastic Surgeon

The neon finally has a home...

Last edited by Trann; 07-26-2016 at 04:04 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Forum Sponsors, Vendors and Supplies > Vendors > The Neon Factory