Wine in a kegerator? - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Wet Bars, Kegerators, Neon, and Everything Else

Old 09-01-2014, 08:49 PM
"D" Cup

Chips: 1,338,634,405
Karpro is a name known to allKarpro is a name known to allKarpro is a name known to allKarpro is a name known to allKarpro is a name known to all
Default Wine in a kegerator?

I've been working on my bar for a while and I getting near the point of working on the built in kegerator. Is it possible, has anyone ever done, a dual tap tower with one pouring beer and one pouring wine? Not sure if it's possible or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,824,283,601
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps
Default Re: Wine in a kegerator?

I know wine comes in a box..... good wine.... [/joke]

I've never seen wine sold in a keg. Science tells me it's because wine doesn't get along with aluminum.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,957,830,000,025
Doctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimps

Plus, I'm not sure how you'd force it out of the tap. CO2 would carbonate it after a while (not right) and regular air or O2 would make it go bad after a while too. They have dispensers at some wine bars (like Hostile Grape in Vegas) but I think they are mechanically or gravity feed, directly from a fresh bottle. It is certainly possible, but I don't think a kegerator setup would be best for distributing wine...

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Training Bra

Chips: 34,755
Man Cave Authority has a spectacular aura about

If you're going to do a built in kegerator, do you have the space to enlarge the built in? That way you could have a built in kegerator and a built in wine cooler. I think for display purposes it would look better, plus you have the opportunity to put more than one type of wine in there (including the nice boxed wines...).

Brad

Last edited by Man Cave Authority; 09-22-2014 at 04:07 PM..
Old 09-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Doctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpro View Post
I've been working on my bar for a while and I getting near the point of working on the built in kegerator. Is it possible, has anyone ever done, a dual tap tower with one pouring beer and one pouring wine? Not sure if it's possible or not.
RECENT STORY LINK

Quote:
First, they came out with fake corks, then screw cap bottles and, sacre bleu, now some serious restaurants are dispensing wines from kegs.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Official PMC Sommelier

Chips: 118,800,688
King of the Farm is a splendid one to beholdKing of the Farm is a splendid one to beholdKing of the Farm is a splendid one to beholdKing of the Farm is a splendid one to beholdKing of the Farm is a splendid one to beholdKing of the Farm is a splendid one to behold

While it's not impossible... I would say the challenge is Oxygen.

Once oxygen is introduced to your wine, the clock starts ticking. Most good wines need the air to open up, and improve, but anything on tap (especially if you're not pouring high volumes where turnover is no issue) would mean it was open for some time and it would likely be terrible in a very few number of days.

A couple hours of oxygen = Good
A couple days = Bad

The really high end wine serving systems use Argon or Nitrogen capsules/tanks to replace any space with those gases instead of oxygen.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:23 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Some of THESE seem kinda interesting, too. The liquid you are dispensing (wine, beer, liquor, whatever) is sealed in an internal bladder, and another bladder surrounds it, which is pressurized and "squeezes" the liquid out...no air or gar or light ever comes in contact with the liquid you are dispensing from the internal section. Plus, the entire contraption is recyclable afterwards...lower shipping and waste costs.

Interesting, if nothing else.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,824,283,601
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

^^that's^^ what I was guessing when I read further on it.
Considering Oxygen is the killer as KotF notes, I wonder if anyone has ever tried argon or another 'non-wine killing' gas to pressurize the tank.

The bladder inside the keg seems foolproof.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:29 PM
Official PMC Sommelier

Chips: 118,800,688
King of the Farm is a splendid one to beholdKing of the Farm is a splendid one to beholdKing of the Farm is a splendid one to beholdKing of the Farm is a splendid one to beholdKing of the Farm is a splendid one to beholdKing of the Farm is a splendid one to behold

Argon really works the best... Nitrogen is going away on these units.

The problem with Argon is that it's expensive... relatively speaking.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:07 PM
Training Bra

Chips: 16,800
brown6555 has a spectacular aura about

Iv'e done this using a corny keg and nitrogen. You don't want to use co2 because it will carbonate the wine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Wet Bars, Kegerators, Neon, and Everything Else