Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

Help with bar plans...

Tags
bar
9K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Dennis 
#1 ·
I've never built anything with wood so I'm trying to compensate by planning this out as much as possible. I'm a 3d animator so I created a digital model of my basement and built the bar digitally.
I'm planning on building the real thing now (if the wife approves), so I'd like to know if there are any gaping holes in my plan or anything I'm missing.
Here's the video showing the structure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S5J64O2fv4

Any feedback is much appreciated!!

#4 ·
Love the concept! I'm from Chicago and when I saw the ivy over the brick on the bar front - thought it was a perfect visual element for a "Wrigleyville" bar!

One suggestion, lose the Landshark surfboard. Not very "Chicago-ish." Try finding something like an old Harry Carey "Bud Man, Cubs fan" banner for up there.

The basic bar design looks very buildable, just make sure everything is square and level, take your time. Since you're enclosing a freezer in there, remember to provide ventilation for the cooling coils. Maybe a vent on the front of the bar to allow for air circulation. Possibly a little computer fan as well.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the actual construction.

#6 ·
I love the Wrigley Field scoreboard as a bar back as well.

But there's always limited space for bartenders behind a bar. Instead of 2 large doors swinging far out into the bartender's area, it might be better to make them 2 bi-fold doors.

Or you could eliminate the doors altogether and put the scoreboard behind clear glass shelving with your bottles in front of it.

Oh, since you already have the "heavy ass freezer," have you seen the kegerator conversions in these forums for freezers?

#7 ·
Welcome! Wow! That's a helluva first post, I think you just set the standard!

I love the animation, too. Beside being a great bar plan, that animation is way too cool for words. If you do a poker table, make another one, I think you'd set the standard on animated poker table plans, too!

I agree with Dennis. If surfing is a passion of yours, that's one thing, there could be reasons for keeping it. But for what you are trying to evoke, I'd go with something more Chicago Related or even Wrigley Field related. Like,

OR

OR

OR

Anyway, I love it! By the way, I'm in Chicago, if you'd like a "professional" review of the completed bar for the rest of the forum when it is completed, just PM me. No charge, happy to be of service! ;)

#8 ·
JC, WTF do you mean? You're in Chicago?!? I thought you were "in PA?" Is Quads gonna hafta change your username?

Anyways Zac, another thought occurred to me as I sit here watching the Cubs beating up the Indians (6-2, top of the 9th). Instead of the surfboard, I've seen where you can get "authentic" Chicago street signs - I've seen them in gift shops in the city. Why not street signs for Clark & Addison - the intersection at the entrance to Wrigley Field?

#11 ·
We've gone to the four winds. Daughter in downtown Philly, Wifey at the Collins Manse in suburban Philly, son at Fort Huachuca in Arizona, and I spend most of my time at a flophouse apartment in Lisle, IL. Weekends are spent with my folks at the end of Randolph street (at the Lake). I get home about once a month for a conjugal visit. Well, usually.

I'm in Chicago area until Kevin gets out of Army Intel school in a month.

#9 ·
concept looks good. but if youre that tight on space get yourself a hand full of broad tip makers and draw everything on the floor i.e. wall thickness + veneers drawn and your door swings. hang something that will mimic the size of your florescent fixture and the full depth of the score board. and draw out your stools. I try to do this whenever i do the enitial consultation with a client.

#19 · (Edited)
I agree with the comments that the Landshark surfboard doesn't go with the concept. Unless it has special appeal to you, I'd nix it.

if youre that tight on space get yourself a hand full of broad tip makers and draw everything on the floor i.e. wall thickness + veneers drawn and your door swings. hang something that will mimic the size of your florescent fixture and the full depth of the score board. and draw out your stools.
This. Except use tape to mark off everything.

It looks to me like the hanging glasses is going to obscure the top of the scoreboard. It'd be nice to see it in 3D in your basement. You can used cardboard/newspaper to approximate dimensions.

Also, BTW, you can get "clock parts" pretty cheap. Why not make the scoreboard clock a working piece? It'll run off 2 AA's.

I also have to prepare for the most important part... getting approval from the wife.
It is often easier to beg for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

#12 ·
Lisle?!! What a dump! ;)

I lived just east of there in La Grange when I was first married.

It's a shame you're only there for another month. I'll be visiting family in Chicago at the end of June. We could of shared a cold one at a Sox game.

BTW, you let your son JOIN THE ARMY?!?!?

Did you explain to him that Army = walking everywhere, living in tents and eating MREs while Air Force = rental cars, hotel rooms, and restaurants?

#13 · (Edited)
Lisle?!! What a dump! ;)

I lived just east of there in La Grange when I was first married.

It's a shame you're only there for another month. I'll be visiting family in Chicago at the end of June. We could of shared a cold one at a Sox game.

I'll still be here. I meant next time I go home will be in a month. I live in the Chicago flophouse most of the time and visit my Philly place. Sucks, but what are you going to do? I'm up for a ball game.

BTW, you let your son JOIN THE ARMY?!?!?

Did you explain to him that Army = walking everywhere, living in tents and eating MREs while Air Force = rental cars, hotel rooms, and restaurants?

Yeah, didn't work. I think it's just a father son thing. My dad was Navy, couldn't understand why I'd consider anything else. I was Air Force so naturally he had to go Army. His kid will probably be a jarhead someday. :lol:
He just finished a 26.2 mile ruck march ... details here. The Perfect Man Cave

Crazy bastard. Even crazier than me. :eek:

Sorry for the threadjack. I think we scared the OP away, anyway!

#16 ·
Good to hear.

Structurally you're fine.

If you modify your animation to incorporate your changes, post it please.

Looking forward to your progress. Wife should approve. After all, you're building down in that old, smelly basement, so why should she care? Right? ;)

#17 ·
I don't think she'd have a problem with me using up that part of the basement. I just have to figure out how to tell her how much this will cost. Anything more than $300 in this household needs to be pretty damn necessary. I'm thinking about using the old 'cough and say the price at the same time' gag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.