Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

Extreme Reno.....Up Date Stage 2 Started....

14K views 140 replies 15 participants last post by  comp56 
#1 · (Edited)
well as it were, I gutted the entire top floor of my house, including all interior walls right down to a shell. new everything including all new plumbing from the basement up with new main stack, entire new subfloor stripped down to the joists. new wiring, 14 new windows ( only 5 are on this level) insulation drywall all rooms wired for cable TV internet and HDMI ports ect ect....here are a few pics

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: Extreme Reno.....

Because of height restrictions I couldn't find a set of sliding closet doors with the right height so I made my own.

insulation was handled along with vapour barrior and 20" of blown in insulation in the attic...

drywall is boring to look at but here is a pic or two anyway....

I added a small etched glass window in the stair case to add natural light, the other side of this window is chest height but in stairway it is over 12 feet up so it is not for looking into master bedroom...

ok all mudded up and ready for some paint, as you can see all rooms are equipped with LED pot lights as well...

all wired up

#3 · (Edited)

some flooring and trim action, I made a black ash stair nose to match the stairs I made it will get stained to match..

remember the closet doors.... here they are in the final resting place...

oh and the little etched glass window.....from both sides

#5 · (Edited)

thanks dude, here is master bedroom with TV mounted, access to Cable TV, internet and media server from 2 floors down so with a few clicks from one of 3 remotes we can watch damn near anything....all wires hidden along with cable box ect ect

still have master bathroom to finish........but I have 2 other bathrooms in the house so it is on hold until after the holidays....

well actually it is all painted and has all electrical and lights just needs tile flooring and plumb all fixtures in vanity, soaker tub, toilet.ect ect...

#12 ·

Great work! Bet you're happy with the progress!

#13 ·

thanks guys, ya it is nice to see it coming together, with a bit of planning (and sticking to the plan) it works out. an honorary mention has to got out to whoever built this house in 1903, either they knew what they were doing or they got lucky..... the thing is maybe 1/8" to 3/16 out of square anywhere you check. once I get the bathroom finished it all moves down a level and I start gutting the kitchen and dinging room......

#14 ·

thanks guys, ya it is nice to see it coming together, with a bit of planning (and sticking to the plan) it works out. an honorary mention has to got out to whoever built this house in 1903, either they knew what they were doing or they got lucky..... the thing is maybe 1/8" to 3/16 out of square anywhere you check. once I get the bathroom finished it all moves down a level and I start gutting the kitchen and dinging room......
That's incredible that over 100 years later it's still so plumb. Has to be combination of great skill and luck that the soil types had limited settling and other geological factors didn't cause the house frame to warp.

#17 ·

Part is craftsmanship back then and the other part is it is real 2" x 4" lumber. The same with all the other wood, no downsized lumber. Back then the wood was dryer when used. Wet wood was not sent to so jobs. They would have laughed and sent wet wood back. Then again it was most likely old growth wood so that is way more stable.

#20 ·

thanks JC,
sharing a little jig I made up to install my bathroom floor tiles. Now as much as I would like to say that I built the room perfectly square I had no control over the 2 outside walls and I only added the 2 interior walls to complete the room. Now after checking the room seems to be pretty good but I don't want to assume anything when cutting the tiles. I'm installing 12"x 24" tile in a herringbone pattern so there will be lots of small angle cuts all around the outside of the room and I want to make sure the cuts stay consistent from the edge. This little jig is completely adjustable for angle and length...

#25 ·

well waited about 48 hours before I grouted, (the longer the better. I say)...anyway the chocolate grout turned out nicely. during the next few days I will remove the haze while it is curing and work on installing the door and trim then finally start hooking up the fixtures toilet vanity tub ect ect not sure what everyone thinks is best for doorway transition, I always go half way each so when door is closed you can't see other room's flooring. on a side note: wife is getting happier everyday goes by....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.