Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

HD Antenna

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  vtpoker 
#1 ·
I'm looking for an HD Antenna. Does anyone have recommendations or tips?

I was splitting my Comcast internet signal and getting the basic channels for the poker room TV. But...... Comcast has changed their shit and now you have to have a digital converter box. Which means I will have to pay for the basic service. I use Directv throughout the house, but don't want to shell out 99 bucks for another box that will get used part time. That's in addition to the monthly fee to have one more box. I'm thinking an HD antenna is my option.

I did the normal google search. Found options, but don't have any experience with this. Mohu has decent reviews from what I've found.

Thanks

#3 ·
When I got my first HDTV, I didn't have HD cable (and didn't want to upgrade yet because the majority of the TV's were standard def). I got whatever BestBuy was selling, and I think it was like $25.

No complaints, but rarely use it now that I have the HD package with cable.

#4 ·
I picked up a Winegard "FreeVision" antenna at Home Depot for $35. The box says that it's good up to 30 miles. I'm 50+ miles from the Orlando area "antenna farm" (all the Central Florida broadcasters have bunched their transmitters close together) and it pulls in EVERYTHING crystal clear for me. With an in-the-attic mount.

#6 ·
Installed and it works. I installed it first in the basement. Just was looking for 'proof of concept'. Once I saw that it did ok, I went ahead and installed in the attic. I got 46 channels. about 20% of them are pixelated. I was mainly looking for the main ones and I got them just fine.

#7 ·
As I said, all of my local broadcasters were nice enough to bunch all of their antennas right next to each other. So I can get everything by pointing in one direction.

Your pixelated channels are probably a bit off the line from the rest. It sounds like you can live with it. But it you can't, you'd either have to install a rotor for your antenna to re-aim it at the pixelated channels when you wanted to watch them (and then back to the other stations) or else install additional dedicated antennas for those stations.

Glad it's working for you!

#8 ·
Just for everyone's information. There is no difference between an HD antenna and your old fashioned rabbit ears or on the roof antenna. There are good antennas for indoor and others for outdoors.

Antenna Web.org is probably a good start to know what you need for where you live.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.