Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

Grilled Rack of Lamb

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  timsta007 
#1 ·
i made rack of lamb tonight (for the first time) on the bbq - it was AWESOME!!!

the only thing I didn’t know was how hot to have the burner on my bbq for the indirect heat. I had it on medium – which was too low (and it was taking forever for the temp of the meat to go up), so I cranked it up and it worked fantastic

I used rack of lamb from a local grocery store – so nothing special. I also got some lamb chops – it all turned out delicious!!! will definitely make again!

sorry - no pics, but this is the recipe i used....

Grilled Rack of Lamb

Ingredients
2 racks of New Zealand lamb (8 bones each)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary

Directions
· Prepare mustard and rosemary mixture: Mix Dijon mustard, olive oil, lemon juice and rosemary in a dish.
· Remove lamb from the refrigerator. Trim off any excess fat. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the racks of lamb. Cover the lamb with mustard mixture and let lamb come to room temperature, about 20 to 30 minutes. Reserve a small amount of the mustard mixture for basting while on the grill.
· Preheat the grill to medium heat. Clean and oil the grill.
· Place the rack of lamb on grill meat side up, with ribs away from direct heat. Do not place the lamb directly over the heat, in this instance we are actually roasting the lamb on the grill.
· Cook for 14-20 minutes turning and basting occasionally with the mustard mixture.
· Remove the lamb from the grill when internal temperature is 135-140 for medium rare.
· Cover loosely with foil for 5 minutes before serving.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a great recipe. I usually go with a more grilled version of this searing the outside quickly over high heat and continuing to cook until an internal temp of 127-130. I take it off early since the high heat causes it to continue to cook more after removal. One other tip, New Zealand lamb is frequently considered top quality and it is extremely good product, but it is 100% grass fed and tends to be quite lean and a bit gamey. Nothing at all wrong with that as long as the flavor appeals to you, but if you ever get a chance to buy american lamb, especially from colorado region, snap it up. It tends to be a larger animal with more fat content and incredible flavor. It's my preference when I can find it. IIRC you are in Florida so it may not be available in your area but keep an eye out for it. Well worth trying to compare between the two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.