Buying a private seller's car in another state... - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Other Topics > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-31-2017, 01:42 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 1,357,163
CRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of light
Default Buying a private seller's car in another state...

Has anyone ever bought a car from an on-line private party that was several hours/miles away from his/her house?

Two Sundays ago I got into an accident, and just yesterday the insurance company "totalled" my '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser - which is out of production ('07 to '14). With much thought, and as much fun as I had in that vehicle, I'm thinking about buying another one, but the seller is in Holland, MI (nearly 7 hrs from Des Moines).

I weary to buy a used "off-roading" vehicle, but this thing is meticulously clean, and he says it doesn't have any dings/scratches and it's never been off road, albeit 10 years old . So what questions should I ask before driving up there to see it? What questions do I ask? What suggestions/advice can you give me?

Here's a link to the sale: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...68k-miles.html

FWIW: It's priced right with all the mods, has low miles, and I may be able to talk him down some.

TYIA

EDIT: Do any forum gear-heads live near Holland Michigan and could check the vehicle out for me???

Last edited by CRAW; 10-31-2017 at 01:47 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2017, 02:08 PM
Forum Moderator / Ball Buster

Chips: 3,614,044,956
sunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant futuresunsetpizza has a brilliant future
Default Re: Buying a private seller's car in another state...

A friend of mine has one for sale down here in Dallas.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:53 PM
Ruthless Bookie

Chips: 598,037,447,001
Shadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimps

I'm about 3-3.5 hours from there, but I have no time to get out there, unfortunately. My weekends are booked nearly solid until December.

OTOH, I do have a good friend, who also happens to own one of those, who is less than an hour from there. At first I thought maybe he was selling his. I might be able to send him over. He's very knowledgeable about cars (and is meticulous about his also).

I dropped him a note, we'll see what he says.

Last edited by Shadow; 10-31-2017 at 07:58 PM..

Old 11-01-2017, 08:20 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

CRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys.

Still waiting for the dude to get back to me.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:43 PM
Ruthless Bookie

Chips: 598,037,447,001
Shadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimps

My buddy called me this morning and sounded willing to do it. Just let me/him know what you're wanting him to check out if you have specific concerns (4WD functioning, etc). He wouldn't be able to do it until the weekend so he can see it in the daylight, but I didn't think that would be an issue.

Let me know.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:45 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Thank you, Shadow, and tell your buddy thanks as well. The dude still hasn't responded to his post and that's the only way I have of contacting him.

I will let you know if anything develops. Thanks again!
Old 11-05-2017, 08:03 AM
"B" Cup

Chips: 62,716
lnlver is a pretty cool catlnlver is a pretty cool cat
Send a message via AIM to lnlver

If you have the vehicle identification number for it, ask your insurance company if they can run a repair check on the vehicle. This would show details of what work has been done on it, how much in dollars, when, etc.

Insurers use this info when determining the depreciated value of cars. Much of this type of information is freely shared among companies.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:38 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 4,021,776,465
Hirize is a glorious beacon of lightHirize is a glorious beacon of lightHirize is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Re: Buying a private seller's car in another state...

Somebody must have forgotten to tell you this forum is closed
Old 11-08-2017, 08:41 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Never heard from Michigan guy, so I went with this.

Thanks for all the help/advice.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Thread Killer

Chips: 32,778
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

Nice, love the red color!

The Perfect Man Cave > Other Topics > Off Topic Discussions

Tags
fj cruiser, off-road, used car