New to the site. Needing help with A/C cooling my mancave - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Design, Plan and Build the Perfect Man Cave

Old 06-12-2017, 09:51 AM
Training Bra

Chips: 17,272
Concordium has a spectacular aura about
Default New to the site. Needing help with A/C cooling my mancave

First things first, I am new to the site as well as to mancaves. Bought my first house about a year ago and have been busy trying to get a few things fixed up in it. Now I am ready to start on my mancave.

My mancave will be in the garage. And, since I live in Houston Texas, it gets hot during the summer. I doubt I will be using it much during the peak of heat. However, I have a solid wood poker table and a solid wood entertainment center that will be going in the garage. So I would like to prevent the cave from fluctuating too wildly in temperature. My thought was to add a portable AC unit and vent the exhaust outside, through a small crack between the bottom of the garage door and the concrete.

I have looked into insulating the garage door with radiation reflection panels as well as good old insulation. This would be intended as a supplement for the AC unit since it obviously won't be able to do the job itself. I would also probably put a stand up tower fan in the corner opposite the AC to help keep the air moving in the cave.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cool the garage mancave WITHOUT having to actually cut any holes into the walls? This is just a starter home for us and don't want to make any major modifications to it.

Thank you for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2017, 12:23 PM
"C" Cup

Chips: 98,068,034
gps4 is a pretty cool catgps4 is a pretty cool cat
Default Re: New to the site. Needing help with A/C cooling my mancave

do it have a window?
Old 06-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 24,180,278,710,736
Oz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimps

Couple of options for you - with or without holes.

Option 1: Ductless AC system (professional installation = $$$$$)
Option 2: Free Standing Portable AC (holes in wall or sliding window = $)
Option 3: Through the wall mounted AC (similar to window style = $$)
Option 4: Add some ductwork from your main system into the garage (complications with the cooling demand in the home, you would need to put in a damper of some sort and then you have regulations against doing it = $$$)

Since it's a started home, go to HD, Costco or BestBuy and grab a 14K minimum portable unit that vents out the window. It will work, but it will be noisy.

"It is not our disability that is the problem, but rather it is the way our disabilities are viewed by others"
Old 06-12-2017, 12:58 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 4,021,776,440
Hirize is a glorious beacon of lightHirize is a glorious beacon of lightHirize is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome!

OZ is our HVAC Expert here.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,957,830,000,127
Doctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirize View Post
Welcome!
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirize View Post
OZ is our HVAC Expert here.
And THIS!
Old 06-13-2017, 08:31 AM
Training Bra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Couple of options for you - with or without holes.

Option 1: Ductless AC system (professional installation = $$$$$)
Too expensive

Quote:
Option 2: Free Standing Portable AC (holes in wall or sliding window = $)
I don't have any holes in the wall, nor do I want to create any, and I do not have any windows. However, I do have a small section of my garage door that does not quite touch the ground. It is about 1.5" - 2" high at the end and tapers down over a 4" run. Would I be able to frame it and use that as an exit point for duct work from the free standing unit?

Quote:
Option 3: Through the wall mounted AC (similar to window style = $$)
Don't want to cut holes since it is a starter home and we will only be in it for 5 or 6 years before selling it.

Quote:
Option 4: Add some ductwork from your main system into the garage (complications with the cooling demand in the home, you would need to put in a damper of some sort and then you have regulations against doing it = $$$)
Yeah I thought about this one. But I read somewhere that doing so was illegal due to some kind of potential for CO to enter the home. I know nothing about HVAC. I just know I want to make sure my family is safe.

Quote:
Since it's a started home, go to HD, Costco or BestBuy and grab a 14K minimum portable unit that vents out the window. It will work, but it will be noisy.
I don't have a window. Can I vent out through the opening at the bottom of the garage door that I mentioned above?

Thank you for all of the replies.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:02 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Oz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimps

Trust me, making a 6" round opening in the side of the garage wall to vent out a portable AC and condensate drain would be worth it. What is the exterior wall material? Cut the hole for the vent now, and when you move - install a doggy door to cover the hole.

Yes, you can install venting into the garage from the home system - but you have to put on a bunch of safety switches, sensors, etc = lots of money.

As for the garage door...... might be doable. You would need to make some sort of blockage (framing and siding) that would sit under the garage door as it's raised up a little. Only issue with that would be the opening on the top of the garage door leaking out cold and bringing in heat (you would need to modify that). Same concept as the 6" opening for the vent and condensate.

You could install a vent up through the attic and out an exhaust vent (you would need to install a 6" roof vent and have the venting run all the way up (condensate).

Oh - and welcome to the site!

"It is not our disability that is the problem, but rather it is the way our disabilities are viewed by others"
Old 06-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Training Bra

Quote:
Trust me, making a 6" round opening in the side of the garage wall to vent out a portable AC and condensate drain would be worth it. What is the exterior wall material? Cut the hole for the vent now, and when you move - install a doggy door to cover the hole.

Yes, you can install venting into the garage from the home system - but you have to put on a bunch of safety switches, sensors, etc = lots of money.

As for the garage door...... might be doable. You would need to make some sort of blockage (framing and siding) that would sit under the garage door as it's raised up a little. Only issue with that would be the opening on the top of the garage door leaking out cold and bringing in heat (you would need to modify that). Same concept as the 6" opening for the vent and condensate.

You could install a vent up through the attic and out an exhaust vent (you would need to install a 6" roof vent and have the venting run all the way up (condensate).

Oh - and welcome to the site!
Unfortunately, the exterior wall of the garage is brick. The rest of it shares walls with the house.

If I ran a vent upwards, how would that allow for draining from the unit? And, could I just vent it INTO the attic or do I have to run a duct all the way through the attic and out to the outside?

I apologize if these questions are dumb. I am an IT professional but know absolutely nothing about HVAC. So you have to explain this stuff to me as if I were a child. Haha!!
Old 06-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Ruthless Bookie

Chips: 598,037,446,975
Shadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimps

You don't want to vent into the attic. That exhaust vent is full of moisture and that will cause mold in your attic which will be worse than a hot garage I can assure you!

Many of the portable air conditioners can exhaust through a vent hole about the size of a single brick. You might be able to bust a brick out, cut a hole through the wood and drywall and voila, bob's yer uncle. I'd certainly do that before exhausting in the the attic.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:30 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Never vent into the attic. Moisture would do all kinds of damage. You would need a roof jack. The roof jack is the flashing penetration through your roof for exhaust fan venting. It takes the moist air through the attic to the exterior = no damage. But make sure the roof jack is sealed properly. No dumb questions - especially is it saves you future repair work

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Design, Plan and Build the Perfect Man Cave