I Got Myself a Smoker!!! - Page 3 - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Wet Bars, Kegerators, Neon, and Everything Else

Old 08-19-2014, 09:36 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 2,441,750,888
dcms has a brilliant futuredcms has a brilliant futuredcms has a brilliant futuredcms has a brilliant futuredcms has a brilliant futuredcms has a brilliant futuredcms has a brilliant futuredcms has a brilliant futuredcms has a brilliant futuredcms has a brilliant future
Default Re: I Got Myself a Smoker!!!

For the smoker afficionados, could someone please compile a list of needed equipment, pref with make/models you recommend? Would be appreciated by all those drooling over their keyboards looking at the pix and deciding they need to expand their culinary skills into smoking . . . .

Old 08-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,653,645,181
SniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant future

1) Smoker
2) Charcoal
3) Chunk wood (apple, pecan, cherry for pork/poultry, mesquite or hickory for beef)
4) Meat
5) Beer
Old 09-05-2014, 04:28 PM
"C" Cup

Chips: 2,001,046,757
bc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to behold

^^another thing i recommend is this....

Weber.com - Accessories - Cook - Tools - Rapidfire® Chimney Starter (Part #307416)

it works awesome for starting up the charcoal!

yesterday was my folks anniversary so we're having them over today for dinner

i fired up the smoker around 10:30 this morning and tossed the ribs on around 11am

at 2pm the pork loin joined the party

i am soooooooooooo looking forward to 5pm!!!!

i'll post more pics later!!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Thread Killer

Chips: 32,751
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

A dedicated smoker is nice, but I get good results on my weber kettle with the Smokenator, There are all sorts of ways to do it.

Home - Smokenator 1000

Old 09-05-2014, 09:46 PM
"C" Cup

bc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to behold

^^awesome!!! i love the smoker - i wish i had bought it years ago!!

have you done turkey/chicken? i haven't yet. i had it once a couple summers ago and maybe the chicken was over-cooked or something, but it was really dry and rubbery. i didn't really like it at all

i do want to try it though. my folks want to do a smoked turkey for thanksgiving, but i don't really want to until i try smoking a chicken or two first!

here's the results of this afternoon/evening.....

i am currently in a smoked pork coma.... and it is amazing!!!

i tried both a different dry rub and bbq sauce recipes for today's smoke - wow! sooo good!

i also did a '3-2-1' method of smoking the ribs...
3 hours in the smoker, then 2 hours in the smoker but wrapped in foil with some juice added (for flavor and moisture) then a final hour out of the foil, adding bbq sauce when i took them out of the foil. holy crap... seriously! the first couple rib recipes i did were really good, but this one today was out of this world.

the final hour of the pork loin and the ribs on the top rack....

the 2 racks of ribs on the bottom rack - done to perfection:

cutting the rib racks into manageable pieces resulted in juice squirting everywhere!!!

and finally the pork loin. i did have to roast it in the oven for about 30 minutes to get the internal temp up (i'm not into eating med/rare pork!!). the juice that came out of this was unbelievable - absolutely delicious!!!

i can barely move right now... and i'm completely ok with that!
Old 09-14-2014, 08:09 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 8,186,314,685
tele_pathic is a splendid one to beholdtele_pathic is a splendid one to beholdtele_pathic is a splendid one to beholdtele_pathic is a splendid one to beholdtele_pathic is a splendid one to beholdtele_pathic is a splendid one to behold

Today

There's a brisket under them birds!

Old 09-14-2014, 08:26 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 113,079,560
BillyGoat is a splendid one to beholdBillyGoat is a splendid one to beholdBillyGoat is a splendid one to beholdBillyGoat is a splendid one to beholdBillyGoat is a splendid one to beholdBillyGoat is a splendid one to behold

Sweet! A perfectly smoked chicken is actually my favorite over ribs or pork shoulder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2014, 08:30 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

tele_pathic is a splendid one to beholdtele_pathic is a splendid one to beholdtele_pathic is a splendid one to beholdtele_pathic is a splendid one to beholdtele_pathic is a splendid one to beholdtele_pathic is a splendid one to behold

BG, I have perfected my smoked chicken!!! A fairly straight forward rub, throw in loaf pan (soooo much easier than a beer can), and smoke for 3 1/2 hours. Perfection!

I'll admit, though, that my brisket and ribs have a ways to go to perfect. Actually, I'm closing in on my brisket, just need a new rub (one that won't make me sick, one that won't hmgjn jhejfj hs jeered). And I have the terrible habit of over-rubbing my ribs, but I don't really smoke those often enough to get it perfect.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:53 PM
"C" Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele_pathic View Post
BG, I have perfected my smoked chicken!!! A fairly straight forward rub, throw in loaf pan (soooo much easier than a beer can), and smoke for 3 1/2 hours. Perfection!

I'll admit, though, that my brisket and ribs have a ways to go to perfect. Actually, I'm closing in on my brisket, just need a new rub (one that won't make me sick, one that won't hmgjn jhejfj hs jeered). And I have the terrible habit of over-rubbing my ribs, but I don't really smoke those often enough to get it perfect.

tele_pathic

i want to try smoked chicken - what is your method/rub?

i had smoked chicken once at my wife's cousin's and it didn't do much for me. i think it was over cooked
Old 09-16-2014, 06:41 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

I bought the book Big Bob Gibson's BBQ something or other from amazon. I LOVE that book. It has the recipe for the loaf pan chicken. It consists of two rubs, a wet rub followed by a dry rub.

Wet Rub: 1/4 cup applesauce, 2 tbsp. worchestire sauce. Mix in a bowl.

Dry Rub: I can post the recipe later, but this could be any of your favorite blend of dry spices.

Wash chicken and pat dry. Apply wet rub all over, then apply dry rub. Place chicken in 9x5 loaf pan. I usually wipe my loaf pans down with olive oil to ensure that the chicken doesn't stick. I don't think it would stick, but I do this anyway.

Place on smoker at 250*-300* for 3 1/2 hours. I shoot for 165-170* in the breast. But I usually just time the cook for doneness.

I put water in the water pan, not sand, not dry, but water. When the chicken's done, there should be a lot of juices in the pan, so I usually pour those into the water pan.

Let the chicken "rest" for about 30 min, which is about as long as I can stand to not cut or eat it.
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Wet Bars, Kegerators, Neon, and Everything Else