New to the site. Needing help with A/C cooling my mancave - Page 2 - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Design, Plan and Build the Perfect Man Cave

Old 06-14-2017, 09:35 AM
Training Bra

Chips: 17,422
Concordium has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New to the site. Needing help with A/C cooling my mancave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
You don't want to vent into the attic. That exhaust vent is full of moisture and that will cause mold in your attic which will be worse than a hot garage I can assure you!

Many of the portable air conditioners can exhaust through a vent hole about the size of a single brick. You might be able to bust a brick out, cut a hole through the wood and drywall and voila, bob's yer uncle. I'd certainly do that before exhausting in the the attic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Never vent into the attic. Moisture would do all kinds of damage. You would need a roof jack. The roof jack is the flashing penetration through your roof for exhaust fan venting. It takes the moist air through the attic to the exterior = no damage. But make sure the roof jack is sealed properly. No dumb questions - especially is it saves you future repair work
Ok so if I carved out a brick, literally just cut out the mortar and removed a brick, and then cut through the drywall, would that be something that is easy to seal up when I move? The drywall should be pretty easy for me to repatch. But I don't know anything about masonry nor trying to reseat a brick into the wall. I don't even know if removing one of the bricks would compromise structural integrity. I can't imagine that removing one brick would cause issues, but then again, I didn't know that venting to the attic would cause mold. Haha!! So, I am trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before taking any action.

I tend to over-research projects. I spend months researching. Then I measure 4 times and cut once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 09:51 AM
Ruthless Bookie

Chips: 598,037,447,152
Shadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimps

Nothing wrong with over-researching. Just ask JCinPA...

I'm not a mason, but I can't imagine 1 brick would cause any issues. Utility and other installers cut and drill through bricks all the time. It's the underlying building materials that actually provide the structural integrity anyway (2x4s and 2x6s), the brick is a weather-proofing fašade as far as I know. I would also think that you could fairly easily remove said brick and mortar, then replace them both at a later time to cover the hole back up. Mortar patch or tuck-pointing material could be used I would think.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:49 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 296,474,423
Richard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Option 4: Add some ductwork from your main system into the garage (complications with the cooling demand in the home, you would need to put in a damper of some sort and then you have regulations against doing it = $$$)
You're going to potentially put exhaust from cars from the garage into the home, which is no bueno.

Even if he's not going to park in the garage, the next guy who buys the house might, so it would have to be disclosed in the sale.

No bueno.

Spoiler:
Old 06-14-2017, 10:33 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 24,180,278,710,891
Oz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
You're going to potentially put exhaust from cars from the garage into the home, which is no bueno.

Even if he's not going to park in the garage, the next guy who buys the house might, so it would have to be disclosed in the sale.

No bueno.
Actually it's fine, and allowed --- with the proper safety sensors and dampers, along with a fire/smoke damper. Without that - NEVER.

"It is not our disability that is the problem, but rather it is the way our disabilities are viewed by others"
Old 06-14-2017, 11:10 PM
"C" Cup

Chips: 98,068,187
gps4 is a pretty cool catgps4 is a pretty cool cat

Can you run the vent through the ceiling with an exhaust duct to a soffit vent like bathroom exhaust vents are sometimes done?
Old 06-15-2017, 06:10 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 296,474,423
Richard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud of

You're the expert Oz but it sounds like a bad idea to me.

Spoiler:
Old 06-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Training Bra

Chips: 17,422
Concordium has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

No bueno.
I'm not going that route any way. I am trying to cheap and easy. Not looking to make major mods to the house. I would rather have a portable unit and vent through a hole in the wall to the outside. That would work far better for me than trying to tap my existing system and deal with all of the other stuff that comes along with it. It's just more hassle than I want to deal with. If this were my permanent house then that is fine. But it is a starter home. So I don't want to invest too much into this mancave. Mainly use it as a learning experience for my next mancave.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:34 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 24,180,278,710,891
Oz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimpsOz is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by gps4 View Post
Can you run the vent through the ceiling with an exhaust duct to a soffit vent like bathroom exhaust vents are sometimes done?
I have done it in a commercial application where we ran it up through the ceiling (drop ceiling and no 1 hour fire rating needed) and through the roof. They make a metal roof flashing that was needed, but other than that no issues. In a residential application, most people have windows or cut the wall.

Quote:
You're the expert Oz but it sounds like a bad idea to me.
Which way, the brick removal route? You would need more than a brick, unless they are 6"x6". Busting out a few bricks might work, but there would have to be a sleeve made up to go through the wall so the hot moist air would go straight out. They don't make a vent opening that size, so it would have to be custom fabricated (about $100 probably).

Manufacture something under and over the garage door - probably the least expensive make shift way to go about this.....

Any chance to post a pic of the exterior of the home on the side where the garage is, along with any exterior wall around or above the garage. This will help A LOT with trying to figure something out for you.

"It is not our disability that is the problem, but rather it is the way our disabilities are viewed by others"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Design, Plan and Build the Perfect Man Cave