Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

Portable A/C Unit for Garage

14K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  lucascas 
#1 ·
Ok. Im looking to get a 14,000btu portable a/c unit for the garage. I live in Tx so I need something for the summer!!!!!!!

The attic is insulated very well and its new. The garage has no windows so Im not sure where to put the hose, to release the hot air. Any ideas??

Also, should I put a big fan in the garage as well?

Ill have a computer, 2 tv's and couple other electronics(lights, kegerator, etc...)

#2 · (Edited)
Do you already have the AC ? (seems you are looking so No)
Most newer portables have 2 hoses: 1 heat exhaust, 1 fresh air intake

Are the walls insulated ? If not it will be running non-stop

If you haven't bought one buy a window AC, cut a hole & install it in the wall
Much cheaper then a portable AC

How much power do you have in the garage ? How much does the AC take ?
My 14,500 AC takes maybe 1400 watts

#7 ·
No its has this.....

Self-Evaporative System:
It offers an auto drain exhaust system that essentially eliminates the need to empty any water from the unit. It also offers a direct drain option that allows you to run the unit 365 days a year without having to empty any water accumulation

#11 ·
I had a roll around portable AC unit in my garage in Florida. Garage is roughly 600sqft, celiing and largest outside wall were insulated. The portable AC unit couldn't keep up, and it had both the intake and exhaust. Right now I can't remember the size, but I ended up selling it and getting a split unit AC and it works like a charm.

The split unit AC is going to be more expensize, I think I paid $1400 shipped, but I did the install myself, with the exception of charging the unit.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Are your garage walls drywalled? I would assume that there is no insulation in the walls. If you want to ever come close to maintaining a comfortable temperature you really need to insulate the walls. Cost is pretty cheap for batte insulation, just check out your local Lowe's/HD.

Installing a window unit does not require a window. Just cut a hole and frame as you would for a window and set the AC in the hole. Only cost is for a couple of 2x4's.

If it were me, I would think about doing what miandsh2000...2 AC's in opposite corners above the 8' height mark (warm air rises, cold air falls). Then install a cheap ceiling or free-standing fan.

Picks of garage would help

#20 ·
I have one of those portables I bought used for my 400 sq ft garage. I am planning on putting in two dryer vents through outside wall for outside air and to exhaust the hot air without having to vent through window. The vents will not show as they will be low and behind shrubs.

Even with the garage door open six inches and it in high 90s it got garage inside down to 80 and lowered humidity greatly. When I get door tight it should do well.

#25 ·
Ok. Im looking to get a 14,000btu portable a/c unit for the garage. I live in Tx so I need something for the summer!!!!!!!

The attic is insulated very well and its new. The garage has no windows so Im not sure where to put the hose, to release the hot air. Any ideas??

Also, should I put a big fan in the garage as well?

Ill have a computer, 2 tv's and couple other electronics(lights, kegerator, etc...)
In fact, you don't have to worry about hoses. Choosing a portable with a built-in evaporation system will solve the problem. There are many air conditioners of this design now, as well as Honeywell and LG. Their efficiency has not decreased and is more convenient.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.