Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

Attention - Upcoming Password Changes

9K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  Admin 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Per the latest announcements we will be resetting everyone’s passwords. Shortly you should be receiving an email directing you how to change your password. It will look like this:

Subject: Your new password for *site name*
Dear *username*,
Your password has been reset by an administrator. Your new details are as follows:
Username: *username*
Password: *Randomly generated temp password*
To change your password, please visit this page: *link to password reset edit page from USERCP*
If you suspect this email is a scam, you can confirm the legitimacy of this email by manually navigate to the forum URL yourself and use your new password to log in.
All the best,
Site Name
As you can see it will give you a randomly generated temporary password, as well as telling you where you need to go to updated it accordingly.
If you do not receive this email please go to the contact us page and select Other, and type in Security Password Update Issues
We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

The Community Support Team

#3 ·
Jesus Fucking Christ... Now I have to you some crazy ass made up password with letters, numbers, symbols, mothers maiden name, the square root of 234,345,345,567 times pie to the 10th degree just to log on to a forum...

I don't have to have such crazy shit to log on to my bank account...

#7 ·
Ok, so I don't have access to the old email account I used way back when I registered for my account. So I had to recreate an account. I would like to keep my original account active. Can an admin PM me my new password so I can login and reset it and I can also update my profile with my new email address?

pikeman56

G
#11 ·
I also had to create a second account. I have zero clue what email I used when I signed up 8 years ago, but it surely is no longer being used.

Can someone PM me a temporary password for my account (TheGame) to this account?

Thank you.

... And yea ... Clusterfuck

#14 ·
Hey Admin, this is GATOR...check your fucking emails. Ive sent 3 requests to change my email.

Had to create a 2nd account like everyone else.....

If your goal was to piss everyone off...great job.

10 digit password for the FAIL. Jesus Christ.....banks don't require that.

#21 ·
Hahahaha! I was just wondering what the fuss was about. I had trouble on my Amazon Fire, but here was a piece of cake. Got the new one. Promptly forgot it, used the forgot password to get another one, changed it to one I can remember (thanks to Nooner). Easy peasy!

:mrgreen:

#22 ·
I just wonder how many casual users won't jump through all these hoops and just say "eff this" and never come back?

I mean damn, we now have to give:
Mandatory password reset
10 characters (really?)
Upper case
Lower case
Special character
Number
Blood type
Naming rights of first born
Left testicle

... If only my banking information was as safe as my poker table plans apparently are now.

#23 · (Edited)
It's not. They sent you an un-encrypted password in a clear text email. Anyone can read it. They then directed you to a URL that it as well in un-encrypted (http vs. https), So, once again, anyone [think hacker] can watch the data passed to and from.

Rather than setting the radio button in the control panel that says "force user to change PW on their next visit" and you're prompted to pick a new password. EZPZ. Didn't happen that way.
Generally speaking, 10 digits, a symbol, and a number isn't bad. If you're not already using that or something similarly strong, then you should be, simply for good interwebs habits.
Don't want to remember shit, get a PW manager. They're free, easy, and simple.

This who thing has been a clusterfvck. Sadly, there are probably a handful of well known / liked / respected users that simply won't come back. PMC isn't the exception. Two other forums I use (owned by Vertical Scope) are going through the same shitstorm.

I'm happy to reset passwords if people post it from a second account, or help where I can, shoot me a pm or an email at my quads@pcpotato account but the ownership and executive decisions on the forum are no longer my ball of wax.

G
#24 ·
This who thing has been a clusterfvck. Sadly, there are probably a handful of well known / liked / respected users that simply won't come back.

I'm happy to reset passwords if people post it from a second account, or help where I can, shoot me a pm or an email at my quads@pcpotato account but the ownership and executive decisions on the forum are no longer my ball of wax.
I'll let others decide whether I am/was well known, liked or respected, but I've been around since early in the SK days. I was going to say fuck it. More god damn work than it's worth.

Can't log in. Can't get the password reset to work. Sent no less than three messages to the ever changing Admin group. Result = Fucking zero.

I finally broke down and created a second account. (And that was a clusterfuck of an experience, too.) But if this is going to be a trend going forward I'm out. I have plenty of shit going on to frustrate me on a daily basis. This is the place that I come to unwind and de-stress. This experience has been the exact opposite.

What a mess.

Edit: Not directed at Quads (hopefully that's obvious). I KNOW it would have been handled properly if he still had the reins.

#31 ·
No, you jamokes still use your 15 year old aol email.

Yes, it would have been easier to force a reset on your next visit. I'm assuming the powers at be, who own the joint, know what they are doing, but the biggest factor they don't realize is that a) many of us have been around since the launch of PMC, and b) probably used an email addy when signing up, that is now defunct, or at least in severe hibernation.

ibangedyourmom@hotmail probably isn't all that professional to be sharing with the local BabeRuth league when signing the kids up for baseball. Or some may have switched jobs etc.

The heads up was nice.....but think about adding....hey, check your email settings to make sure you have a viable email as your default....

T

#32 ·
No, you jamokes still use your 15 year old aol email.
AOL = Is that something you dinosaurs used?
My Gmail has been working fine for me so why on earth would i change.

Yes, it would have been easier to force a reset on your next visit. I'm assuming the powers at be, who own the joint, know what they are doing, but the biggest factor they don't realize is that
a) many of us have been around since the launch of PMC, JC and i Included
b) probably used an email addy when signing up, that is now defunct, or at least in severe hibernation. More reason to update info every now and then.

ibangedyourmom@hotmail probably isn't all that professional to be sharing with the local BabeRuth league when signing the kids up for baseball. Or some may have switched jobs etc. First part i will give you. Second though i wont, dont use a work email for private shit like this.

The heads up was nice.....but think about adding....hey, check your email settings to make sure you have a viable email as your default.... Agreed

T
Oh and T. Chocolate fence :p (mandatory smiley so you understand the irony ;))

#33 ·
I get it, but a freaking heads up, check what you have as your email addy, and change it to something current might have been a better warning.

T

#34 ·
Hi guys,

We can also help out with those who did sign up with the site way back when and no longer remember the email that they used. For those folks, the Contact Us link found at the bottom of every page has been the most effective way with getting in contact with us, but it is important that they be clear on the subject line, which should read something like 'Security Password Update Issue' so that we are able to quickly identify those who are unable to get online.

~Sheena

#36 ·
Apparently that hasn't worked. Several times. Thus, users are creating new account, notifying me via PM and I'm assisting getting their old account back online.

C&G, let me know if you want me to manually reset your old account pw so you can log in and use that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.