Woodworking questions - Page 2 - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Other Topics > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-26-2017, 01:47 PM
Thread Killer

Chips: 33,615
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future
Default Re: Woodworking questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsta007 View Post
Part of me wants to force myself to tackle something harder just to force myself to learn more techniques. Hand chopping mortises and tenons for example, or even just hand planing milled boards to make them straight and true so they will glue properly. With that being said I'm very much looking forward to what you have to say.

And it's an enormous regret of mine that I didn't take you up on that offer to join you in your shop. Life gets in the way, blah blah, but that was just stupid.

... and

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsta007 View Post
At some point down the road I'd probably like to make cabinets or custom shelving. The closet in our master bedroom has a lot of poorly used storage space that would be hugely upgraded by custom closet organizers. That's not something I will want to tackle until I have quite a bit more experience.
Other stuff I've thought about includes Adirondack chairs like the ones Richard Cranium made a while back and having a better spot to work on small projects like repairing a wooden toy or a broken drawer.

My last serious woodworking projects were back in my Air Force days when we had base shops to work in, and I was never really any good. But one thing I remembered is that building a small step stool is a project that isn't expensive and REALLY builds skills. You get to play with mortise & tenon work, compound angles, planing ... it's a surprisingly good skill builder and if you goof it, you'll still have learned a lot and you'll be less disappointed than if you start on a big cherry armoire.

Something like this ...

Weekend Project: A Sturdy Footstool - FineWoodworking

Anyway, that's my two cents. But you can find a surprising number of these small projects that will task you quite a bit, and after a half dozen of these, you'll be ready to tackle that armoire! Loved the bench, that was a huge skill builder for you already.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:21 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 4,021,777,346
Hirize is a glorious beacon of lightHirize is a glorious beacon of lightHirize is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Woodworking questions

Get this and thank me later.

Shop notes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Other Topics > Off Topic Discussions