Teach me about: Kodi - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video

Old 02-21-2017, 09:06 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 1,357,837
CRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of light
Default Teach me about: Kodi

Sorry if there is a dedicated thread to this, but what's the hype about Kodi? I remember hearing about XMBC back in the day, and that is now Kodi?

I did a quick Google search, and I've read Kodi is 100% legit, but the third party apps(?) you can download within it(?) are not. Most are now using in on the Amazon Fire Stick (version 2?). What's the skinny on all this?

(plus it can't hurt the forum to get a new thread going )

TYIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2017, 12:52 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,957,830,000,254
Doctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimps
Default Re: Teach me about: Kodi

Might post more later, but until then, HERE'S SOME GOOD (slightly dated) INFO ON XBMC/KODI & AMOAZON FIRE HARDWARE.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:16 PM
"D" Cup

Chips: 1,668,151
JumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of light

I've been using a "Kodi box" I ordered from Amazon for at least a couple years. It's basically a very simple computer that runs Android as its Operating System. Think of it as an Android tablet but you need to connect it to a TV. You can run most Android apps, and Kodi is one of them.

Kodi is the new name for XBMC. The developers changed the name a few versions ago because it had evolved so far from XBox that the name didn't make sense anymore. Some argue that the new name doesn't make sense either. :-)

It is basically a media player. You point it to media sources and it creates menus, thumbnails, plot rundowns etc. It's just a nice interface for browsing a media library.

Kodi itself doesn't have any media files included with it and the application developers officially condemn using it illegally. But of course, many people use it for viewing illegally downloaded files and many of the available addons will stream content directly from internet sources. With these addons, you don't even have to download a file before playing it.

If you have some movies or TV shows downloaded, you can install Kodi on your PC and try it out. You'll be able to get a feel for the software and decide whether you want to use it on a TV. The software is free, and the addons are free, so if you're curious, go for it.

The new version (v17) looks really great. I'm still using 16.1 because my Android box needs an OS upgrade before I can run the new one, but i've played with it on my PC.

I think quite a few of us here use Kodi, so if you have questions, you're sure to get some answers.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Training Bra

Chips: 84,520,229
Semperfi91 has a spectacular aura about

I've been using Kodi 16.1 on my Amazon FireStick. I don't have cable, DirectTV or Dish and can still watch all my shows and sporting events with no problems.

I used adbLink software to wirelessly connect to my FireStick and install the APK package. You can google how to install Kodi on a FireStick (my preference) and it's pretty awesome. I also installed it directly on to my laptop for road trips.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:07 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

CRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of lightCRAW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ First post? Welcome, if you're truly a new member.

You mention "sports." Like I could view *any* sporting event (White Sox, Hawkeyes are my favs)? I've heard of some people watching PPV UFC fights live for free too?
Old 02-24-2017, 09:45 PM
Drama Queen

Chips: 220,198,837
CarsAndGames is a glorious beacon of lightCarsAndGames is a glorious beacon of lightCarsAndGames is a glorious beacon of lightCarsAndGames is a glorious beacon of light

Exodus
Old 02-25-2017, 12:21 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 10,251,911,009
pauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimpspauld22 is the pimp of pimps

I don't have very good luck finding stable high quality feeds for live sports but they are there. It's probably something on my end that I haven't done the digging to figure out so don't let that deter you. I use Specto to watch TV shows and movies without a problem.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 968,887,125
detroitdad is a splendid one to beholddetroitdad is a splendid one to beholddetroitdad is a splendid one to beholddetroitdad is a splendid one to beholddetroitdad is a splendid one to beholddetroitdad is a splendid one to beholddetroitdad is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld22 View Post
I don't have very good luck finding stable high quality feeds for live sports but they are there. It's probably something on my end that I haven't done the digging to figure out so don't let that deter you. I use Specto to watch TV shows and movies without a problem.
Its tough streaming live sports in my experience. You can buy a sports package http://sportsaccess.se/ and use it in the sportsdevil app. I haven't used it in a few years. It was 100 bucks a year (if bought on black Friday) and you could stream any sports including PPV events. I primarily used it for NFL games. The links were a lot more stable using this method. Even then it was a pain in the ass sometimes.

Nuzbin is the one to talk to about this shit.

Different packages work differently pending the area your in. One Channel used to be the nuts. Now it sucks. I use Specto, Pheonix, or Exodus for my shows/movies. Specto seems to work the best for me.

B
Old 02-28-2017, 03:32 PM
Training Bra

Chips: 84,520,229
Semperfi91 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post
^^^ First post? Welcome, if you're truly a new member.

You mention "sports." Like I could view *any* sporting event (White Sox, Hawkeyes are my favs)? I've heard of some people watching PPV UFC fights live for free too?
Truly am a new member. I was doing some searching about building a poker table and stumbled upon this site.

I use Phoenix to watch my sporting events. How to Install Phoenix Kodi (Jarvis Krypton)

Inside Phoenix, I go to Phoenix Sports and then Sports Demon LIVE. Inside there, there are multiple different flavors of what you can watch. During NFL season, you can watch any of the live games. Same as NBA, MLB and NHL games. Only live games.

You can also watch other events such as UFC PPV fights and even replays of other fights that you may have missed.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:02 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi91 View Post
Truly am a new member. I was doing some searching about building a poker table and stumbled upon this site.
Well then let me be the first to welcome you aboard.

Thanks for your input on Kodi. I'm thinking for $50 for a Fire Stick it might not be too much of a risk just to play with it. Thx everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video

Tags
amazon fire stick, kodi, xmbc