VoIP - Thoughts and Opinions - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video

Old 01-03-2017, 04:53 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 1,010,059,515
vtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud of
Default VoIP - Thoughts and Opinions

After a decade of talking to the Mrs., she has finally agreed to cut the cord. I am debating getting rid of our landline and using VoIP - I like having a home phone and not a cellphone.

Anyone use any specific VoIP service? If you do, what are your pros and cons with it.

I am looking to have just internet, VoIP, then my Netflix and Amazon Prime and we will be just fine. I will grab an OTA antennae for sports and that is about it for us.
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 11:50 AM
Ruthless Bookie

Chips: 598,037,447,771
Shadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimpsShadow is the pimp of pimps
Default Re: VoIP - Thoughts and Opinions

I had a 3rd party VOIP line for a while, and have had ATT Uverse VOIP since. The phone service provided by all the ISPs is nothing but VOIP. It works just fine. You might have service degradation if your internet has high demand (streaming, etc), but it's unlikely.

Be aware, the biggest drawback is you will have no phone if your power/cable/internet is out. With POTS, the line provides it's own power so you still (generally) have phone service if your local power is out.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:53 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

vtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud of

I understood that, we both have cellphones so in case of an emergency we could use those. I just like having a house phone, that way we have a central phone in the house.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,957,830,000,279
Doctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimps

^^^
Not a major thing (until it is...) but, have they figured out the e911 part of VOIP yet? Meaning, if you dial 9-1-1 on your VOIP line, does the emergency system know WHERE you are, your home address, for example?

For a while this seemed to be a major stumbling point with many VOIP services. I'd think there would be a simple fix or workaround, but hadn't heard any recent updates. Just curious.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:28 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

The e911 service is part of most VoIP packages automatically now. That is a concern of mine as well. I've seen VoIP services like Ooma have a solid e911, and other features as well.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:59 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Looks like I am going with the Ooma Telo system. Tons of solid reviews and can use their free service for taxes and fees. I will report setup and quality in a week or two when we switch to just internet services.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:54 PM
"D" Cup

Chips: 19,903
jrees has a brilliant futurejrees has a brilliant futurejrees has a brilliant futurejrees has a brilliant futurejrees has a brilliant futurejrees has a brilliant futurejrees has a brilliant futurejrees has a brilliant future

I just installed an ooma on Monday. Seems pretty sweet but I'm not using it all until my number ports over. I did test it out thought the quality was excellent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video