I've decided to try this sous vide stuff - paging Blake ... - Page 2 - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Other Topics > The Meat Locker

Old 01-08-2017, 09:50 AM
Thread Killer

Chips: 33,757
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future
Default Re: I've decided to try this sous vide stuff - paging Blake ...

just used a saw? I guess that would work, it's only plastic. Hollow, too, I believe.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 86,766
Blake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimps
Send a message via ICQ to Blake Send a message via AIM to Blake Send a message via Yahoo to Blake

Here is the anova next to my Joule. They are sitting next to a 16" steel ruler.

The joule, as already state, is more powerful, quite a bit smaller, has a magnetic bottom and requires far less water to run than the Anova. The Anova also is only rated to handle about 4 to 5 gallons of water where as the joule can handle far more, reports up to 40 gallons if a good cooler is used. Also i think the joule app is far superior to the Anova app, which usually just ends up pissing ne off.

The one plus i will give anova over Joule is controls on the device, though I can completely understand why Chefsteps abandoned a display and on device controls.

The only real plus that

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Only Once Live You - Yoda
Old 01-09-2017, 09:28 AM
Thread Killer

JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

Well, I've rethought my position on the Joule ... I have decided to keep this one in Chicago because I know I'm going to have a ton of fun with it ... but instead of grabbing another Anova, I'm getting the Joule for Philly. The wife will also have fun with it when I'm not there, and it will work with her Amazon Alexa somehow.

And now that you mention it, the WiFi makes more sense than I thought! Initially I was thinking of setting it up while there and running errands--once set up you really don't have to pay it any attention. I never thought of getting it preheated while I'm on my commute home, though, that's actually fairly useful, I suppose, although I'll likely use it mostly on weekends.

Thanks for the pic and comparison, Blake, much appreciated!
Old 01-09-2017, 09:34 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 400,385,030,758
nuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to behold

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5873bbb7...09_113328.jpg?
https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5873bbbc...09_113350.jpg?

Here's my setup
Old 01-09-2017, 10:10 AM
Thread Killer

Nice, thanks Nuzbim!! A picture paints a thousand words, as they say. The advantage of your method is you can use the clamp on the side of the cooler to aim the device the way you want to. If I did a hole saw thing it would just spin. That's perfect!
Old 01-09-2017, 12:41 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Blake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimps
Send a message via ICQ to Blake Send a message via AIM to Blake Send a message via Yahoo to Blake

Here's my set up for the Anova. In retrospect I wish i had centered it on the lid rather than to the side. Plus a cooler without a hinged lid would be nice too. I'm looking ffor a cooler bow to use with Joule to alter too.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:19 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 41,127,144
pikeman56 is a splendid one to beholdpikeman56 is a splendid one to beholdpikeman56 is a splendid one to beholdpikeman56 is a splendid one to beholdpikeman56 is a splendid one to beholdpikeman56 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Here's my set up for the Anova. In retrospect I wish i had centered it on the lid rather than to the side. Plus a cooler without a hinged lid would be nice too. I'm looking ffor a cooler bow to use with Joule to alter too.

I have a different cooler than that but my setup is almost exactly the same. My cooler doesn't have a hinged lid thought. I only use the cooler if I'm doing something large like a brisket or really long cook. I typically just use a cambro container for most cooks.

I really like the size of the Joule. I might have to look into getting one of those as well.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:29 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman56 View Post
I have a different cooler than that but my setup is almost exactly the same. My cooler doesn't have a hinged lid thought. I only use the cooler if I'm doing something large like a brisket or really long cook. I typically just use a cambro container for most cooks.

I really like the size of the Joule. I might have to look into getting one of those as well.
Yeah I only use the cooler for long cooks myself, other than that I have a Cambro that I use too. Which cooler are you using that doesn't have a hinge?

Old 01-09-2017, 02:34 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 41,127,144
pikeman56 is a splendid one to beholdpikeman56 is a splendid one to beholdpikeman56 is a splendid one to beholdpikeman56 is a splendid one to beholdpikeman56 is a splendid one to beholdpikeman56 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Yeah I only use the cooler for long cooks myself, other than that I have a Cambro that I use too. Which cooler are you using that doesn't have a hinge?
It's an igloo I got from Walmart. And now that I think about it. It did have a hinge when I bought it, but I took my drill and removed the hinge, so it doesn't have one now.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:49 PM
"E" Cup Heavy Hangers

Chips: 1,170,000,527
TheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant futureTheGame has a brilliant future

Well, I'm officially entering the world of coming suis vide. Wifey is getting me the Anova for Christmas. I'm ready to give the thing a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Other Topics > The Meat Locker