Kodi Crashing - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video

Old 08-05-2016, 05:39 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 1,010,059,515
vtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud of
Default Kodi Crashing

Hey guys,

I have been a longtime Kodi user. Have a home built HTPC for the past 6 years. I recently was having problems with Kodi 16.0 so I uninstalled it to give the 17 Krypton alphas a try.

With both versions it worked for awhile, then it started crashing on startup, no splash screen, just crash - This program stopped working, windows will look for a fix...nothing.

Here is what I have done.
1. Uninstalled everything related to Kodi - addons, my profile folder, etc.
2. Updated my drivers - I have an AMD A8 processor with integrated graphics ATI 6570 and an ATI 6550 video card.
3. Windows updates (I have a win 10 machine)

Nothing has improved. It crashes a second after it starts to load. I haven't tried going back further to Kodi 15, but am trying to figure out what the hell is wrong.

Any suggestions or idea?
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,957,830,000,279
Doctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimps
Default Re: Kodi Crashing

Every install of Kodi (XBMC) I've had has been on either a stand-alone box (RaspberryPi/FireTV) OR an Android device (phone/tablet). In the few cases where my Kodi install has gotten mucked up (it certainly has happened, more than once ) I've always COMPLETELY started from scratch, at least if I wanted good results. Honestly, I've tried cutting corners and deleting old-settings-files and whatnot, but complete, clean, fresh (re)installs have always worked wonders. Maybe a little easier on a TV viewing box as compared to a full HTPC running Windoze, but my experience is that a fresh start has fixed my past issues.

I don't have anything else to add for your specific situation, it could be one simple setting (video, network, storage) is messed up, or even a hardware/Windoze issue...so many possibilities. If you've tried moving down a couple of versions and back-tracking your steps, and still no luck, things are probably more broke than you'll ever know. A full re-install might be your best bet, even though that can be a pain sometimes.

Goo luu.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:11 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

vtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud ofvtpoker has much to be proud of

By full reinstall do you mean reformating the hard drive and working back up from there? OS, drivers, etc. ugh. But I get what you are saying.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,957,830,000,279
Doctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpoker View Post
By full reinstall do you mean reformating the hard drive and working back up from there? OS, drivers, etc. ugh. But I get what you are saying.
Well...kinda, yeah. That was my point of the "TV box" being a lot more simplified than a full HTPC. A full wipe & reinstall on a RaspberryPi takes probably an hour, with just a few settings to reset, whereas an HTPC may take the better part of an evening to get it all back the way you want it.

Somethings borked, at some point (after trying a dozen other things) a full-full fresh install might be the way to go. Your time & effort is worth something too, I'd think.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:45 AM
"D" Cup

Chips: 1,668,176
JumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of light

After reinstalling Kodi, make sure you check the registry and hard drive folders for any leftover settings. If I remember correctly, the uninstall routine doesn't completely clean things up.

Search the C drive for Kodi*.*. You probably already know about "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi" and "C:\Program Files\Kodi". And you probably already deleted them.

There's another Kodi folder in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming. Delete any folders named Kodi. If you have multiple people using Kodi on this computer, you may have multiple Kodi folders.

In the registry, search (F3) for "Kodi". If you've uninstalled the software and want to make sure you get a clean install, delete any entries named Kodi or that have kodi in their paths.

I'd definitely do this before reinstalling Windows.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:05 AM
Training Bra

Chips: 22,126
stellafin5 has a spectacular aura about

There are various maintenance addons that may improve some aspects of your Kodi experience. These could focus on improving your streaming performance, clearing disk space to improve device performance or other system tweaks that cater for unique tastes.

If you're unsure about which addons you want, or want to know which addons are the most popular, check out this guide about Kodi Addons: https://www.bestvpnprovider.com/best-kodi-addons/
Old 10-22-2016, 03:16 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

So I finally got to messing around with Kodi again last night. Found a thread where a guy said he was having problems with Kodi with his crossfire enabled.

I turned on my APU/videocard duo and went with just the APU. Bam! Shit is good. The minute I reengage Crossfire mode, Kodi autocrashes.

So now I guess I have to roll back the drivers until I can get crossfire working again with Kodi.

Kodi 17 beta 3 is nice however.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:36 PM
"D" Cup

Chips: 1,668,176
JumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of lightJumperJeff is a glorious beacon of light

I have an MX3 Android box that I'm using to run Kodi. It has Android 4.4.2 and Kodi 17 requires Android 5.0 or better. Yikes. Now I'm struggling through figuring out how to flash this box and hope I don't turn it into a door stop!

The firmware flashing software is all in Chinese or something. Ugh.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:48 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

I wouldn't worry about bricking the box. You should be able to use an English based flashing program to flash your box.

Try this video out:
How to USB Flash Your MXIII (MX3) Android Smart TV Box? - Roofull Blog
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video