Amazon Fire TV "XBMC" - Page 3 - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video

Old 08-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,824,283,036
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps
Default Re: Amazon Fire TV "XBMC"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzbim View Post
for android users, you can use Yatse after you launch the xbmc app on the FireTv.

one drawback for n00bs, you can't easily access xmbc straight from amazon's interface. you have to go into settings, manage apps, launch XBMC.

probably not a huge issue for the folks on this board (except JC) since we're all pretty tech savvy.
Does the fire allow you to create shortcuts to the home screen?

I watched the demo on it, read some reviews, etc. it looks pretty sweet. Won't work here unless I put it on the VPN to the US for a US IP address. That being said, it's a promising option when we move back.
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 05:47 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 400,385,030,582
nuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to behold

i didn't see that option. seemed like all the apps you load, you'd have to go thru the settings - manage apps - launch app to get it to work. i'll play around with it more this week and see if i can find that option. but my quick run thru, i may have missed it.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,957,830,000,279
Doctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimpsDoctor_XXX is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quads View Post

I watched the demo on it, read some reviews, etc. it looks pretty sweet. Won't work here unless I put it on the VPN to the US for a US IP address. That being said, it's a promising option when we move back.
*IF* you spend some time researching this, I'd be interested in the VPN-portion, too. It looks like some people are having some success with it (it is just Android behind the scenes...) but I haven't found a SIMPLE walk thru on how to get it going. I'll be messing around with that part once I get my hands on this thing tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:25 PM
"A" Cup

Chips: 60,948
Pete Rod is a pretty cool catPete Rod is a pretty cool cat

Quote:
In short...... Yes. Just watched a youtube video on it. Not ready to do that just yet.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Badministrator

Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_XXX View Post
*IF* you spend some time researching this, I'd be interested in the VPN-portion, too. It looks like some people are having some success with it (it is just Android behind the scenes...) but I haven't found a SIMPLE walk thru on how to get it going. I'll be messing around with that part once I get my hands on this thing tomorrow.
That's my entire issue here, not to derail this thread.....
I basically run two networks once I come out of the modem. Two routers. One connected to the states via VPN, and another that is local.

This lets me netflix, hulu, etc. (you won't believe how much everyday shit you do which is US IP based) all the way down to news, websites, search results, etc. so I get foxnews.com *NOT* foxnews.com.au. Google.com versus google.com.au. Banking, google voice, etc. Wifey's VPN into the states / her office there, etc.
Sometimes we want to search local, but most others, we want the US results.

It's kind of a PITA, but it works for what we need and want today / whilst here.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:02 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

nuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to beholdnuzbim is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Rod View Post
In short...... Yes. Just watched a youtube video on it. Not ready to do that just yet.
link? please.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:15 PM
"A" Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzbim View Post
link? please.
Google Llama APK for the pack.

Archan3s- Amazon Fire TV, creating custom launcher shortcuts - YouTube
Old 08-06-2014, 05:14 PM
"A" Cup

Ok so after a week this is where I stand so far. "PeteRod likes it". Moving within the app is is almost instance paneling. No lag at all. This is not so true when in a App like XBMC. I believe this is a limitation of the XBMC app and not the AFTV. If you are a prime member like me this is a no brainer. The 2nd update fixed the "No Prime Section" complaint. As far as I know and what I have read Amazon is looking to open this to the full Play Store. As of now you still need to "Side Load" app's you can't find within the AFTV OS. Side loading and rooting is easy with the link posted above. Rooting open's this little beast to a whole new world. There are Bluetooth keyboards that work and Amazon also sell's a game controller that work petty well. I myself use a Logitech K400 2.4 GHz keyboard with the builtin touchpad. Find it at Amazon for $25.00 (price drop, I paid $28.00). Now a word of caution, If you are side loading and rooting make sure you finish all and any installs. I had to restore mine after I pulled the plug on a install. Turns out I did not wait long enough to complete the install. No big deal but who wants to redo all the work. By the way there is a XBMC backup tab with the side load app. Maybe I should have used it and save myself from the restore.

More to follow guys. If you go this way please add your input.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Badministrator

So am I understanding this in summary:
This is a ful featured device, with Amazon's goodies baked in.
Netflix, huu, and others.
You can also root and sideload other apps, such as XBMC and launch it from within the AFTV interface?
XBMC is complete with add'l plugins, mods, hacks, etc. and is fully functional with mapped drives, NFS connectivity, etc. ?
XBMC is loaded it it's own directory, where I can make mods to specific [XBMC] files?
(advanced settings, custom settings, repos, etc.)
Old 08-06-2014, 06:04 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Quote:
So am I understanding this in summary:
This is a ful featured device, with Amazon's goodies baked in.
Netflix, huu, and others.
You can also root and sideload other apps, such as XBMC and launch it from within the AFTV interface?
XBMC is complete with add'l plugins, mods, hacks, etc. and is fully functional with mapped drives, NFS connectivity, etc. ?
XBMC is loaded it it's own directory, where I can make mods to specific [XBMC] files?
(advanced settings, custom settings, repos, etc.)
yes
don't believe it has netflix, but i didn't really look since i don't have it
yes - specifically the settings - manage apps folder
yes - i've got mashup/navix/sportsdevil/videodevil (that's all Q cares about)
don't know about mapped drives, i had been using a portable hd, and this doesn't do that natively. but PR said he found a solution.
yes - has the same options as xmbc. just make sure you grab the Android xmbc to side load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Audio and Video