Poker Table Top Cover - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Design, Plan and Build the Perfect Man Cave

Old 01-15-2019, 01:25 PM
"D" Cup

Chips: 1,066,552
big0mike is a glorious beacon of lightbig0mike is a glorious beacon of lightbig0mike is a glorious beacon of lightbig0mike is a glorious beacon of light
Default Poker Table Top Cover

I've had my main table for years now but the wife has always hated the folding chairs we use. So, we recently bought a bench and some chairs that somewhat match the color of the table. The new chairs have a satin finish and my top is glossy-ish. Not to mention sections of the edge banding are coming off.

So... I need to make a new table top. This time I am going to make one that accommodates the rail as well. The old one I take the rail off when not in use.

I need some thoughts on creating a topper that is in TWO or THREE pieces. Need ideas on the joining mechanism to keep them all together and tight when on top of the poker rail.

Anyone got plans or ideas in this arena?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019, 03:16 PM
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Chips: 15,525,575
zathras is a glorious beacon of lightzathras is a glorious beacon of lightzathras is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Poker Table Top Cover

I would consider either some type of latches that are hidden on the inside of the skirt, assuming your topper design has something like that going over the rail.

Or possibly magnets embedded in the edges of the pieces, to hold them to each other. If you get strong enough ones (eg neodymium) that should work.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:42 PM
"D" Cup

Chips: 1,066,552
big0mike is a glorious beacon of lightbig0mike is a glorious beacon of lightbig0mike is a glorious beacon of lightbig0mike is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by zathras View Post
I would consider either some type of latches that are hidden on the inside of the skirt, assuming your topper design has something like that going over the rail.
The new rail WILL have a skirt of some kind to hide the rail and cupholders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zathras View Post
Or possibly magnets embedded in the edges of the pieces, to hold them to each other. If you get strong enough ones (eg neodymium) that should work.
Ooooh... magnets? That's a fabulous idea! A couple dowels and a couple magnets would be perfect. Perfect alignment, no latches or hardware.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:58 PM
"B" Cup

Chips: 63,394
lnlver is a pretty cool catlnlver is a pretty cool cat
Send a message via AIM to lnlver

You could possibly use magnets; the recesses could be drilled using a dowel jig. This would restrict the diameter, and thus the strength, of the magnets, but you could get around this by using the correct number on each side.

I suggest testing for the correct number by getting two boards of wood and testing the pull until you think it's just right. Too few magnets and the top could come apart while eating. But you don't want it to be too strong so that it takes more than 2 people to take it apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Design, Plan and Build the Perfect Man Cave