Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

Kegerator question for you "pro's"...

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  johnpwilton 
#1 ·
Hi all. I was just brain storming how I could utilize my current (working and often used for bottled brews and over flow from Sam's Club trips) refrigerator to cool a couple of small kegs, but still be able to use it for the everyday uses I noted above. Any idea if that's even possible?
Essentially, I'd like to use a portion of the refrigerator half (top half) to cool the kegs, but still be able to put apple juice and sodas and stuff in it at the same time. Am I just being a dummy with a training bra here? :confused:

#2 ·
No, not at all.
Punch a few holes in the side to route the tubing to and from, and you should be good. Think of it as converting a fridge to a kegerator, but leaving some space in there for other stuff you want to keep in it. Either on a shelf, or whatever.

#6 ·
Define small kegs.

If you are a home brewer and use the 5 gallon Corny kegs, yeah, you can do it. If you plan to pick up 1/2 barrels from the local beer store, no chance.

I have a full size fridge that I converted. I had to make a make-shift support for the bottom, since the bottom of the inside of the fridge wasn't completely flat. The height of the keg and tap make leaving any of the OEM wire shelves inside impossible. There is some room on the side of the keg which I use for things like my 2 gallon jar of pickles or shit like that, but not much.

If you are talking about 1/4 barrels, yeah, you could do that and then leave a shelf or two at the top. But more than one? Doubtful without some serious modifications. The weight of the keg is far too heavy for most refrigerator shelving. Even then, to fit two 1/4 barrels in, you would need custom shelving and some off-set in order to get one on top of the other and still have room for the couplers. They won't fit side by side unless you have a huge industrial sized fridge.

#7 ·
Shadow is right...I have three 5 gallon kegs (like the "Rubber Handle" one below) plus a CO2 tank and all of the related hoses, cups, etc. in a standard side-by-side fridge, but that's with all of the shelving out of there, and no room for much of anything else. It works (and leaves the freezer free for other stuff), but unless you are talking about 1/6 slim, 1/4 slim, or 5-gallon kegs, there ain't much of a chance of you fitting more than one in a full-size fridge, without major shelving mods or whatnot. Aside from the size/configuration of the aluminum containers, 15+ gallons of liquid is a LOT of weight, so you've got to be careful about the actual storage/shelving inside the cold box. You'll figure it out, just don't over do it, especially if you want to store other drinks/snacks in there, too. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.