Which kit to use?

• This kit (2x4) will be fine with the added shelf as a stiffener

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • I would get the 4x4 kit and make a triple top

Votes: 3 42.9%

Need woodworking advice - reloading bench ... *FINAL UPDATE*

13K views 48 replies 11 participants last post by  JCinPA 
#1 · (Edited)
Because of the harsh winters, and cramped current space, I'm moving my reloading operation from the garage to the basement. I got one of these Simpson Strong-tie kits ...

Simpson Strong Tie WBSK Workbench and Shelving Hardware Kit - - Amazon.com

I have come to find out that they also make a bracket that will deal with 4x4 corner legs (2x4 everything else). My question is should I return this and get those?

I was going to stiffen this by adding a second shelf using more 2x4s and plywood and two lower shelves plus a double thickness top should make this plenty stiff, I would think. On the other hand, using 4x4 corners, I could dispense with the second shelf and make the top 3 plywood pieces, making it crazy-sturdy. (the bench will be split plywood sheets, 2" x 8").

The only hassle is returning this kit, I only found out about the brackets for 4x4 legs after getting this. Thoughts?

See less See more
#35 ·
Re: Need woodworking advice - reloading bench ... poll

Christmas Day update ...

Wanted to do more, but since we have guests coming and I have cleaning/cooking duties, all I got done was the lower shelf. Cut it to square with a jigsaw (other than a drill it's the only power tool I own). Notched the corners a bit large so I could slide the shelf around a bit and not have too tight a fit, then glued/screwed it down. I did not bother with the pocket holes on this, but I do love how they worked on the top.

Hopefully tomorrow I will get the presses mounted and the edging on.

#36 ·
Re: Need woodworking advice - reloading bench ... poll

Well, edge banding is all on. In the process of building this, I found my old wooden plane I made in the Air Force at the Clark Air Base woodshop years ago. Not the right tool for this but I wanted to play with it. It's more for smoothing long edges. The Stanley block plane is the right tool for this and it was fun getting the feel of using a plane again.

I fucked up a couple of things, one side I messed up the "measure twice, cut once" commandment. Had to fill in with a short piece. I did not always find the right grain direction when planing, it's been almost 25 years since I used one. chipped a little of the ply, too in one or two spots. But it's still going to be a good reloading bench.

Some shavings. I found it's like riding a bicycle, I was able to go from fairly thick to gossamer-thin shavings when I wanted to. Used the block plane to ease the edges a bit.

Tomorrow will install the 24" T-Track and finish. I hope.

#38 ·
Final product, finished and presses mounted.

Bench is approximately 49" square, and 210 pounds without the presses mounted. The thing on the left is a Rockler Universal T-Track with hold downs for any tools that are not a press that should be held to the bench, like the powder measure, primer pocket swager, etcetera.

closeup of a press mount-- with three thicknesses of plywood, it is definitely overkill, but the feel is wonderful, the thing is very, very solid.

Closeup of the T-Track system. It's a 24" piece.

I mounted a heavy duty power strip on the far edge of the bench, I will end up plugging the shoplight into a ceiling fixture later, but Lowes is closed today, hence you see the light cord coming down in the first shot.

#41 ·
It's worse than that. I did not weigh it, just calculated the weight of the components, including the strong-tie kit. Did it in Excel. :rolleyes:

Added a couple pounds for screws. Seriously. When done, I rounded to 210, though, but bet I'm not +/- 5 lbs. I am a twisted screw, ain't I?

#44 · (Edited)
Hey, Pete, how you doing?! I was actually thinking of casters, but I really don't need to move it and it operates when it is firmly planted. I was thinking of adding these leveling feet, however!

Dan's Shop: Bench Leveler Feet - Mark II

I have a wooden shim under one leg at the moment, but this idea would be more refined and enable my OCD a bit at the same time. ;)

And you true woodworkers will cringe at this, but I think I'll add these plastic bin 'drawers'.

Making Workbench Drawers from Plastic Bins - YouTube

#46 ·
Actually, I can't tell, it's a poured basement slab and probably not perfectly level. I'm sure the bench would rock a little bit, regardless, though. Actually, the wood shim is working just fine, I don't know why I want to do the hockey puck thing.

I guess, because I can?

I think I'll leave the shim, it's worn off already.

#47 ·
The only problem i have had with using the plastic bins like that as storage drawers is wear and tear. They start bending with any kind of weight and eventually break. of course i was probably over loading them. so YMMV

#49 ·
I think a good polyurethane finish should be good for most uses, and are widely available. If you are really worried (paranoid), Google "catalyzed waterborne chemical resistant finishes". May have to special order something rather than trot down to Lowes or Home Depot, but you'll find something.

My top is plenty durable, but I'm not using it as a workbench. I'd have put a 1/4" sacrificial top on it like I have on my garage bench. For this, the plywood is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.