"Wineador" -- Wine cooler to cigar humidor conversion - Page 2 - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Other Projects Indoors or Out

Old 07-21-2015, 05:00 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,676,962,815,939
T v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimps
Default Re: "Wineador" -- Wine cooler to cigar humidor conversion

Just sayin...but I probably coulda made you your cedar trays at a fraction of what you are buying them for.

also....I just stumbled upon your post over on BOTL, and the first dude to reply said....."Unline you, I over research everything".........

I literallly LOL'd so fucking loud when I read that, I woke up the dog.

T
"T amuses me. He is also an a$$hole." Joe Bass 4/20/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2015, 09:41 AM
Thread Killer

Chips: 35,032
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

Yeah, that was pretty funny! Actually those trays are pretty cheeep, I was surprised. I just got 2 to hold me over until the pro drawers are ready.

This thing is pretty rock steady. Two pounds of Heartfelt does the trick, apparently. It's about twice what they recommend as "correct" for the volume, but I wanted a little more humidity "balast".
Old 08-17-2015, 10:39 AM
Thread Killer

JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

Hmmmmmm. Well, I'm rethinking the usefulness of these as far as cooling goes, but they are still a great humidor! Quads, you raised some good questions on temperature earlier. This is related.

These wineadors are only good for a small temperature difference from ambient, maybe 10 degrees or so. And they are designed to be used in the home environment, which today is universally air conditioned (well, for anyone who has a wine cooler). So they don't run much in that environment.

My air conditioning was out after a storm a while back and because nights were good sleeping weather, I didn't bother the landlady about it for a week. Well, at 80-85* and humid during the day, the damn thing ran all the time to maintain 74* and the RH dropped to 50%. So, I started soaking the beads a lot for several days trying to get the RH back up, very frustrated because it was rock-solid before this.

Well, after a few days I noticed some water marks on a cedar box on the bottom of the thing and suddenly realized what was happening. All the water I was pumping into this was condensing out and because the drain plug was capped (to maintain RH) it was pooling in the bottom of the cooler! Duh!

I just shut the thing down completely and I'm intending to leave it off--always. If the air con is on, I don't feel the need to get it down to 66*, and if the air con is off, you cannot use the fucking thing to cool because of this problem if it is hot and humid.

So, I still think these are cool, and as Quads says, they are just eye candy, nice displays, especially with a set of nice drawers. And, frankly, they are cheap, too, if you've priced any larger, cabinet style humidors, which are rediculously expensive. I do think the freezing regimen for cigars you store in it is a necessary step. I'm not worried about beetles in this thing at all because I froze first. And if you do have it inside at air conditioned temperatures, no harm in running it, but check to see how much it runs and watch yoru RH carefully. For me, I'll probably never plug the fucking thing in again.

The RH is rock-steady again. These are great humidors without the refrigeration because of the terrific seal.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,824,284,088
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

Stores ammo for 50 years.
Keep RH for a storm or two.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:14 PM
Thread Killer

Hehehe. I just got a high-end liner set for one of those, will post pics soon.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:53 PM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,824,284,088
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

Serious though, is there an option to keep the temp at 65?
I know in my wine cooler, you can set the temp to red or white, and then set it outside of the defaults at whatever you want, if temp is a concern to you.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:10 AM
Thread Killer

Yes, there certainly is. If you keep the thing in an air conditioned house at around 70-ish, you can leave it on and it will keep the cigars at 65* and RH should be stable. Mine was VERY stable before my air con went out.

But then, at 85* and 85% humidity, the fucking thing ran all damn day, which took the internal RH right down to 50% and condensed it all out as water on the bottom.

If you keep in it your home, and your environment is well-controlled, these are nice, and they'll keep your cigars nice and stable. Your environment has to be cool enough that this does not run all the time, though, or RH will go to hell.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:27 AM
Training Bra

Chips: 12,176
Aiggur has a spectacular aura about

I apologize for bumping this old thread, but I would like to share my experience in this matter, since when I was looking for good advice on this topic for myself

During the initial research in setting up a Wineador I looked at several project threads and reviews Best Cigar Coolers September 2018 - AMAZING Buyers Guide Some were custom drawers, some prefab drawers slid into wine coolers, most of not all were the Thermoelectric type. Some planked the sides and back with cedar in addition to cedar drawers. One guy slid a pre-fab multi-drawer humidor into a wine cooler with the rational that if the unit failed, no problem to move into another. I chose that path.

First purchase at a local appliance store was the Avanti 28 bottle thermoelectric wine cooler. Then I measured the inside and found a nice 7 drawer humidor that fit inside it. A Charleston 7 drawer humidor. I modified the humidor as follows: 1) Put feet under it to raise it up ~4" from the bottom of the cooler, 2) cut a hole in the bottom and installed an 80mm 12v computer fan to pull air out of the humidor, 3" drill a series of 1" holes in the back of the humidor near the top to serve as air vents. Also, installed a digital hygrometer in the middle drawer, removed lock and replaced with a custom know on the front door and installed a magnetic door latch.

This setup worked well, and as mentioned initially I used a Hydra SM for moisture management. When the Hydra went kaput, I tried Kitty Litter after discussing with a cigar pal on one of the car forums I belong to. The Kitty Litter arrangement worked well, so well in fact that the Hydra was never reinstalled. I kept the unit at the highest temperature setting of 64 degrees, left it plugged in year round and RH maintained in the 65-67% region throughout the year. With the Kitty Litter in a bread loaf size tin pan sitting under the humidor, the unit only required service with distilled water 3 or 4 times a year. This is with daily access to pull the evening smoke out.

That brings the timeline up to today and the transition from (Phase 1) with the Avanti 28 bottle thermoelectric wine cooler to the (Phase 2) and transitioning over to a Freon system in an Igloo model MIS1530 36 bottle beverage and wine center cooler. Both units served to house a Charleston 7 drawer humidor.
There are many interesting videos on YouTube, I'll leave one of them here, I hope someone will help in the future.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:35 AM
Training Bra

Chips: 6,651
winecooler5 has a spectacular aura about

If you’re passionate about wine collection for a while, it may be time to move up to a larger, better quality wine cooler. I am using Avanti Wine Cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Other Projects Indoors or Out