Mini-racetrack Table - Page 3 - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Poker, Gaming, and Other Tables

Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 48,391,850
Irish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimps
Default Re: New Year's Resolution - Get Working on a New Table

After 3 months of zero work on this table, I got a few hours in yesterday during my week off in-between jobs. I got all the inner router cuts on the racetrack sheet finished (bottom side is up):

Here's the racetrack sheet with the good side up - I really like the grain pattern on this sheet, even though it's getting a dark black stain, I'm hoping I can get all the swirly grain patterns to show:

The racetrack will be about 3.25" on this table - just wide enough to fit two stacks of chips. I routed a 1/8" channel for the lit rail cover & diffuser just inside the edge of where the rail will be, a quick test fit seemed to have it fit nice and snug.

Instead of using cut strips of hardboard for the level racetrack/playing surface transition - I found this plastic molding at home cheapo that's the perfect size for fitting the gap from a 1/4" diameter router bit - 1/4" thick by 3/4" tall. Using this allowed me to take the cutout piece from the 3/4" birch piece as a direct template to cut out the 1/2" sheet for the playing surface. I traced the cutout shape on the 1/2" sheet and did a rough jigsaw cut, then used a flush cut router bit to clean up the cut and make an exact match. The fit-up looked good, I may to just sand it a bit to allow for the cloth thickness.

If this works out as good as I'm hoping it will, it'll be a nice time saver in doing these racetrack tables. Cutting those hard board strips, getting them to curve without snapping, and driving staples through them is a huge pain in the ass I could definitely do without.

I also cut out the cup holder holes in the rail:

Next up is getting the inlays cut and installed in the racetrack, then I can start the staining & finishing.

Last edited by Irish; 06-19-2012 at 07:09 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 08:18 AM
"A" Cup

Chips: 49,889
HogDogity has a spectacular aura about

Love this thread. What is the router bit you are using in your 03/09 post at 10am? Is it 2"?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Irish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogDogity View Post
Love this thread. What is the router bit you are using in your 03/09 post at 10am? Is it 2"?
This one?:

That's a 1/4" diameter spiral up cut bit, I think this one is 2.5" long. I get my bits from here (#RU2100 or #RU2075):

Whiteside Router Bits from Woodworkersworld.net--Solid Carbide Spiral, Compression Router Bit

I fried 3 bits (two 1/4" spirals and one 1/4" straight) doing those cuts. I've come to the conclusion that my Milwaukee router is not 100% in tune, and the slight vibrations are fracturing the relatively brittle solid carbide bits. I switched back to my old trusty Porter Cable 693 and have had no problems since. I also switched back to using the straight 1/4" bit instead of the spiral up cut, they're less expensive and I haven't seen a big difference in the cut.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:29 AM
"A" Cup

Cool - thanks!

When using a straight carbide, do you do single or double flute?

Last edited by HogDogity; 06-24-2012 at 11:31 AM..
Old 06-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 100,026,476
Wedge Rock is an unknown quantity at this point

A flute without holes is not a flute. But a donut without holes is a danish.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:55 PM
"A" Cup

That's exactly why I gave up trumpet in fifth grade. A total lack of pastry adaptation.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:25 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogDogity View Post
Cool - thanks!

When using a straight carbide, do you do single or double flute?
Double
Old 07-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Training Bra

Chips: 48,268
ChopperJustin has a spectacular aura about

Irish can you tell me anything else about that plastic molding. What department did you find it in at HD and/or what was it's intended purpose. I'm looking for it as I type this.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:01 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJustin View Post
Irish can you tell me anything else about that plastic molding. What department did you find it in at HD and/or what was it's intended purpose. I'm looking for it as I type this.

Thanks!
Found it in the moulding/millwork department, I believe it's called Veranda or something like that. IIRC it was like $6 for a 8 or 10 foot long piece. It's exactly 1/4" thick and 3/4" wide. You'll know you've got the right stuff as soon as you go to pick it up, it'll go all wet noodle and be impossible to carry.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Training Bra

Chips: 48,268
ChopperJustin has a spectacular aura about

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Poker, Gaming, and Other Tables