Trying to come up with a plan for my basement - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Design, Plan and Build the Perfect Man Cave

Old 06-06-2020, 12:21 PM
Training Bra

Chips: 2,215
rykmo has a spectacular aura about
Default Trying to come up with a plan for my basement

Hi, I've been wanting to turn my basement into my own space that reflects my interests, is interesting/unique and has a couple different areas to do things. The things I'm referring to are movies/gaming (of course), playing pool, ping pong, working out (have 2 Muay Thair heavy bags, weights) and potentially a work area (for my 3d printing, electronics).

This could probably work as the usable area in my basement is almost a cross shape and therefor has four different areas around a middle area (like a cross).

I'm a terrible designer, I seem to have no ability to create any sort of vision for what I want this all to look like when I'm done. I myself like things that look very unique and very different. I don't like to copy others. That also makes things challenging if you don't want to use what others did as inspiration and you seem to have no ability to decide what you want for yourself (I'm extremely indecisive, especially about this).

I have accumulated things that I would like to use in the basement, movie signs and decor, video game statues (special edition stuff for xbox games), some martial arts decor... I'm also just plain having trouble deciding where I even want to put outlets in the basement (I don't want to put outlets I don't need all over, nor do I want to put too few).

I guess I'm not even really sure what I'm trying or even want to ask. The only thing I'm really sure of is that I'm doing the work to finish the basement myself, which I'm definitely capable of doing. A friend and I actually had started to finish it and was moving the location where my theater screen and speaker are (so I can move all the wiring before doing anything else) and my wife came down angry because she doesn't care where I put my theater as long as I put it where she wants (which is a place in the basement where the main duct, sump pump, roughed in bathroom and backdoor interfere with all elements of a theater). That halted this whole project over the past few years (I have sound proofing insulation laying around, drywall still stacked).

I don't know what I was planning to do with my basement a few years ago, but at least I was doing something. Now I feel uninspired, I feel like I have a bunch of different things I want to have in the bathroom and don't know how to tie them together and I'm really jump rambling in frustration at this point. I'm hoping that someone might be able to identify in some way and offer some sort of advice.

If not, thanks for listening to my rant and frustrations. It's hard enough to plan the area when your wife says "do what you want as long as it's what I think you should do" about an area of the house she never goes into, nor wants to. Especially when what she is suggesting won't work and when she's claiming what I want to do won't work (despite having diagrammed it out to scale), which was just the theater part of the basement (I have 6 motorize recling chairs). I guess it's been easier to leave it like it is (a wreck) but at least I have theater seats, a screen, speakers and my xbox hooked up. Ugh, I'm rambling again.

Thanks,
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Design, Plan and Build the Perfect Man Cave