Humidor Question - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Other Projects Indoors or Out

Old 11-06-2018, 07:31 AM
"B" Cup

Chips: 37,388
comp56 is a glorious beacon of lightcomp56 is a glorious beacon of lightcomp56 is a glorious beacon of lightcomp56 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Humidor Question

ok so I'm new to Humidors, not new to cigars just never had a humidor of my own. I have been seasoning my new humidor for about 6 days now, I calibrated the hygrometer prior with a boveda pack and now seasoning with a sponge. it is reading 82% how long should I leave it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2018, 07:49 AM
Thread Killer

Chips: 35,032
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future
Default Re: Humidor Question

I bet you’re ok now, a week should be good enough. Use more of the Boveda bags than necessary, they will last longer. They are also rechargeable. I use 65%, 69% is also popular. The Boveda instructions will tell you how many you need, double it. Also, get a good electronic hygrometer, the ones in the humidor are not that accurate, although if you calibrate them they are close.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:51 AM
Thread Killer

JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

Google Caliber IV hygrometer by Western Humidor.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:00 AM
"B" Cup

comp56 is a glorious beacon of lightcomp56 is a glorious beacon of lightcomp56 is a glorious beacon of lightcomp56 is a glorious beacon of light

sweet dixie, thanks, ya I happen to have a 72% boveda pack and after calibrating my hygrometer it says
exactly 72% for over 24 hours now I realize thats probably a little high but just basing the analog gauge seems to be pretty close.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:57 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,676,962,815,939
T v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimpsT v2.0 is the pimp of pimps

65% Boveda FTW! I don't use anything different. I'm also a cheap ass and reload my Boveda's in a meal prep container creating a greenhouse effect to reload them.

Check the seal on your humidor. Make sure it makes a swooshing sound when you close it. Bad seal = leaky humidor. One of my humidors kinda sucks. Probably my most expensive one too, but I got it as a gift from my brother. Always have a difficult time keeping it regulated.

T
"T amuses me. He is also an a$$hole." Joe Bass 4/20/10
Old 11-11-2018, 02:20 PM
Thread Killer

72% won't hurt them, but I'd get a half dozen at either 65% like T and I favor, or 69% for the long haul.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:10 AM
"B" Cup

thanks guys, been sitting right here for last few days with cigars added....
Old 11-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Thread Killer

Looks good, but you really can't trust those things. You need one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Oasis-C...grometer&psc=1

Old 11-12-2018, 08:51 AM
Thread Killer

Actually, you can calibrate that thing with a Boveda bag. It has a screw adjustment on the back of it.

Remove the hygrometer and put it in a heavy duty double ziplock freezer bag with a fresh Boveda bag, leave on counter for 24 hours.

Read the hygrometer reading through the bag without opening it. It should match the Boveda bag. If not, mark the offset. For example, if you have it in a bag with a 65% Boveda bag, but it reads 68% after 24 hours, you write down the hygrometer has a +3 offset.

Remove it, use a small screwdriver to bring the needle down a minus -3 degrees. Put it back in the back and seal it with the Boveda bag and check again in 24 hours at which point it should agree with the bag % RH. If still off, readjust.

Now you will have this thing calibrated in the range of the Boveda bag, and then you should be confident in it. But I still prefer those electronic ones. You can calibrate them the same way.

JC

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Other Projects Indoors or Out