bc-chris' games room - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Showcase - Before and After

Old 05-27-2014, 11:36 PM
"C" Cup

Chips: 2,001,046,910
bc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to behold
Default bc-chris' games room

greetings pmc!!

i stumbled across this webpage on the weekend and the next thing i knew about 4 hours had passed!! i figured i'd show everyone what i've done at my place.

my wife and i had our house built back in january of 2005

these were the original plans for the lower level of the house...

we stayed pretty true to these except i sacrificed a bunch of my games room for another bedroom. i ended up losing about 40% of the 'family room' area

oh well... it's better for resale and since we are currently watching for 'the perfect lot' so we can build again i guess that decision made sense.

so here we go.... most of these pics were taken from the fire place area and the staircase....

here you can really see the added bedroom...

next... onto drywall

Last edited by bc-chris; 05-28-2014 at 01:47 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 11:40 PM
"C" Cup

bc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to beholdbc-chris is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: bc-chris' games room

the ceiling first....

then onto the walls and mudding

and this is the staircase that leads to the games rooms....

Old 05-27-2014, 11:52 PM
"C" Cup

around this point in the build, my wife and i took over ...and with countless hours too from my dad! (this was always the plan and our builder was fine with that)

we painted the entire house, did all the hardwood floors, window and door casings, baseboards, light fixtures and on and on and on!!!

first thing was to paint the walls... i didn't really get any pics of that, since that is about as exciting as watching paint dry!

after the walls were done we started on the hardwood.... on your mark... get set... GO!!!

the first few rows!!!

from the staircase looking toward the future fireplace

from the fireplace looking towards the stairs

once the floors were done we then focused on door casings and the staircase....

Old 05-27-2014, 11:59 PM
"C" Cup

the view from above...

from the second landing, looking up

the view from the games room....

we tiled the stairs since we didn't like the slipperiness of hardwood for a staircase

then the grout

then the sealer

gotta love the high gloss sealer!!!

then it was onto the hand rail becuz you've got to be safe getting to the games room!

Last edited by bc-chris; 05-28-2014 at 01:57 AM..
Old 05-28-2014, 12:09 AM
"C" Cup

neither my dad or i had ever built a handrail that went up/down a set of stairs. horizontal ones - no problem, but going down a set of stairs is another story. thankfully, it wasn't as bad as we thought - good old pythagorean theorem you learn in math class actually works!!!

the horizontal part that attached to the wall was the easy part:

^^to cover up all the screw holes i got bolts and cut the bolt heads off, painted them mat-black, then siliconed them to the screw heads... i just don't think i have any pics of them!

***EDIT - i found a pic with the black bolt heads covering the screw heads...

Last edited by bc-chris; 05-28-2014 at 01:58 AM..
Old 05-28-2014, 12:30 AM
"C" Cup

the games room then sorta was put on hold for a bit.... life was ridiculously busy with work, winter came and went, then we did all of our landscaping and $$ was a little tight for a while.

another problem i had was that i didn't have a clue as to what kind of fire place/tv/mantle to build. i told my dad, 'i'll know it when i see it!!' then i stumbled across this webpage:

Gary Katz Online

not only did it have pics of the finished product, but it showed me how to build it!!!

first was to layout/build the hearth:

i did get a licensed gas fitter to hook up my fireplace since that's not the kind of thing i wanted to mess around with

then it was onto building the cabinets/mantel....

pulled speaker wire while i still had 'easy' access!!

onto the upper half. i would have loved a HUGE tv, but honestly, it would have looked really out of place...

so with the fireplace/tv built it was time to move onto the next thing for the games room... a custom pool table!!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:01 AM
"C" Cup

my user name is bc-chris... i live in kelowna, bc (canada) and my name is chris. now, since i am canadian and live in bc, it would be fair to assume that i cheer for the canucks... but there is nothing further from the truth. they are the only team i can never cheer for!! ha! ha! i'm a pretty die hard calgary flames fan and the rest of my games room stuff really starts to reflect that!

the pool table:

my dad got this pool table a little after i was born... so it had a very early 1970's vibe going on and it didn't really go with my games room - so we decided to keep the slate (1 piece, 4'x8' - sweet mother that thing is heavy!!!), pockets and bumpers (yes - the bumpers are still in great shape!) and redo the rest of the table.

we got solid oak and milled it down to the sizes that we needed.

the sides of the table were basically a copy of the upper columns of the fire place - small square inset, rectangle inset, then small square inset

we also made new legs, which would be completely customized by a buddy of mine

and here is where the flames fan stuff really starts to kick up... the pattern for custom inlays for the pockets

then we stained the pool table

while my buddy worked on the legs, my dad and i made up the cue/ball holder

i still have to make a part to keep score. it will be going below the mirror/above the white board

we got the felt on the table

and then my buddy brought the legs by

i added some red lights under the pockets to illuminate the legs

the custom pocket inlays

and no flames table would be complete without flames pool balls!

Old 05-28-2014, 01:15 AM
"C" Cup

the same buddy who did the metal work also made me a custom 'bar holder'... is that what you call it?? i don't know?!?

i gave him a pic of my pool table light and asked him to make something similar to hold the drink bar to the wall....

and this is what he made me - just AWESOME!!!!

while we waited for ^^that^^ stuff to be made, my dad and i got to work on a very small bar - nothing huge or crazy, just something to have a bar fridge and a sink/tap....

Old 05-28-2014, 01:41 AM
"C" Cup

with all that stuff done, the final stage was the decorating. my dad and i built all the picture frames and jersey boxes

of course, you can't just hang your coats anywhere - they must go on these....

as you come down the staircase you see this....

looking back towards the stairs....

the completed fireplace/tv/mantel

we took our old pine table and painted it to match the decor

the drink bar:

i own my own embroidery company, so i bought some chairs i loved, took them apart, and put the flames logo on the back of each chair:

i also made my own custom coasters:

some of the lighting....

and these are on the mantel....

and the couch...

and you can't invite friends over unless you plan on having burgers with the flames logo seared right into the meat!!!

that's about it for now. this entire process took a couple of years to complete.

if anyone has any questions fire away and i'll do my best to answer them
Old 05-28-2014, 01:52 AM
"C" Cup

oh yea... one more thing ....

i always get asked about the polar bear pic in this photo....

so here is the story behind it....

this is a photograph taken by one of my customers. a few years ago he and a buddy were hunting in northern manitoba. they noticed this polar bear 'tracking' them so they got an idea.

they had been enjoying some labatt lite so they got the empty box and rigged it up so an empty bottle was sticking up out of the box. they put a bunch of gunk on the top of the bottle that the bear would like and walked away and waited.

eventually the bear came to the box and liked the smell of whatever guts and stuff they had on the top of the bottle and that's when he snapped this pic.... his buddy was right beside him with "the bear in the cross hairs", just in case the bear came at them.

it would be a great ad for labatts but i'm not sure if luring a wild bear like that is legal - i just like the pic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Showcase - Before and After