Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

I Got Myself a Smoker!!!

36K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  CubaLibre 
#1 ·
i didn't know where to post this so i thought i'd post it here

i got myself a smoker today - i'm soooooo excited to use it!!! :p

it's the weber 22.5" smoker - i still have to get some 2'x2' concrete patio stones from home depot to put under it - but then i'm rockin'!

Smokey Mountain Cooker™ Smoker 22.5" | Weber.com

does anyone have any recipes to share??

See less See more
#6 ·
#12 ·
for pikeman56....

the dry rub that went on the day before

laying these things of beauty into the smoker

the smoke licking the lid of the smoker

and then i got excited and forgot to grab my camera... so crappy ipod pics. coming out of the smoker after 6 hours of pure glory

let the feast begin!!!

to 'RC' .....seriously? my wife absolutely LOVED this and is already asking when/what i plan to do next!!

#16 ·
Enjoy! I bought a 18" WSM a year ago. It's fucking great! Once you get a few smokes behind you, you'll season that thing pretty good, and it will hold it's temp even better/easier.

Two things I highly recommend. 1. For recipes, look no further than Big Bob Gibson's BBQ book. Many of the recipes I wouldn't cook on a smoker, BUT the brisket recipes, the loaf pan chicken recipe (think beer can chicken but much easier), and the Memphis red sauce (bbq sauce) are so fucking good. There are many other recipes in there that I haven't tried. 3. Maverick wireless dual probe digital thermometer. Makes things soo much easier.

And the virtualwms site is worth its weight in gold. It's awesome.

#17 ·
thanks guys

i fired up the smoker again today!!!

i decided to do pork back ribs again (becuz they were so freakin' good the first time i did them!) and to also try and smoke some beef jerky.

prepped the meat the day before and let if absorb flavors over night. fired up the smoker just before 11 this morning and started smoking around 11:30am. beef jerky came off around 3pm (next time i do it i'll take it off maybe 45 minutes sooner. some of the thinner pieces were a little dry - but the taste is out of this world!). the ribs were done around 5pm and were awesome!!! the best was my entire neighbourhood smelled like smoker... i'm sure my neighbours all wanted to come over for dinner!!

the goods.....

2lbs of beef sliced up for jerky!

8lbs of ribby-goodness!!!!

the beef jerky went on the bottom grate, ribs on the top grate....

let the smokin' begin!!!

the beef jerky.....

and after 5.5 hours.....

i'm soooooooooooooooooooooo looking forward to having left overs tomorrow!!!!

#21 ·
For the smoker afficionados, could someone please compile a list of needed equipment, pref with make/models you recommend? Would be appreciated by all those drooling over their keyboards looking at the pix and deciding they need to expand their culinary skills into smoking . . . .

#23 ·
^^another thing i recommend is this....

Weber.com - Accessories - Cook - Tools - Rapidfire® Chimney Starter (Part #307416)

it works awesome for starting up the charcoal!

yesterday was my folks anniversary so we're having them over today for dinner

i fired up the smoker around 10:30 this morning and tossed the ribs on around 11am

at 2pm the pork loin joined the party

i am soooooooooooo looking forward to 5pm!!!!

i'll post more pics later!!

#25 ·
^^awesome!!! i love the smoker - i wish i had bought it years ago!!

have you done turkey/chicken? i haven't yet. i had it once a couple summers ago and maybe the chicken was over-cooked or something, but it was really dry and rubbery. i didn't really like it at all

i do want to try it though. my folks want to do a smoked turkey for thanksgiving, but i don't really want to until i try smoking a chicken or two first!

here's the results of this afternoon/evening.....

i am currently in a smoked pork coma.... and it is amazing!!!

i tried both a different dry rub and bbq sauce recipes for today's smoke - wow! sooo good!

i also did a '3-2-1' method of smoking the ribs...
3 hours in the smoker, then 2 hours in the smoker but wrapped in foil with some juice added (for flavor and moisture) then a final hour out of the foil, adding bbq sauce when i took them out of the foil. holy crap... seriously! the first couple rib recipes i did were really good, but this one today was out of this world.

the final hour of the pork loin and the ribs on the top rack....

the 2 racks of ribs on the bottom rack - done to perfection:

cutting the rib racks into manageable pieces resulted in juice squirting everywhere!!!

and finally the pork loin. i did have to roast it in the oven for about 30 minutes to get the internal temp up (i'm not into eating med/rare pork!!). the juice that came out of this was unbelievable - absolutely delicious!!!

i can barely move right now... and i'm completely ok with that!

#28 ·
BG, I have perfected my smoked chicken!!! A fairly straight forward rub, throw in loaf pan (soooo much easier than a beer can), and smoke for 3 1/2 hours. Perfection!

I'll admit, though, that my brisket and ribs have a ways to go to perfect. Actually, I'm closing in on my brisket, just need a new rub (one that won't make me sick, one that won't hmgjn jhejfj hs jeered). And I have the terrible habit of over-rubbing my ribs, but I don't really smoke those often enough to get it perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.