Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

JC’s Hyooge Oktoberfest Kartoffelsalat (German potato salad)

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JCinPA 
#1 ·
JC’s Hyooge Oktoberfest Kartoffelsalat (German potato salad)

Ingredients

About 10 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes
1 carton chicken stock
1 large or 2 medium red onions
1½ pounds bacon, sliced into bits
1 cup sugar
8 Tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
4 cups water
1 cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup lemon juice
1 bunch green onions thinly sliced (optional adds some color)

Directions:

Clean potatoes well, slicing off eyes and brown spots, but don’t peel. Place in large pot, add stock, add water to cover, stir, then cook until potatoes are done.

While the potatoes are cooking, cook diced bacon in medium suacepan, draining and reserving grease once so you can get the bacon to crisp a little. Remove bacon with slotted spoon, add onions to the grease in the pot and cook until tender. Add back the reserved grease and the sugar and flour, and stir until dry ingredients are absorbed. Add water, vinegar, and bacon and cook and stir until it gets bubbly and thickens a little.

When potatoes are done, drain liquid from pot, cover with cold water to cool them enough to handle, drain again (maybe do this twice). Dry pot. Now slice potatoes into thick slices and cover bottom of pot, then put layer of dressing, potatoes, green onions, and keep layering until everything is in the pot. Now stir with a big metal spoon to coat all the potatoes with dressing. I had more dressing than I needed, but I like that, so who cares. Let sit for several hours before serving for potatoes to absorb dressing. Can refrigerate overnight, too. Reheat a little in microwave to serve.

This is for an Oktoberfest party for about 25 tonight. You can tweak this a bit and make it smaller, of course.

See less See more
#5 ·
OK, this definitely had too much dressing in it, I was over worried about it being dry. So, if you want to make this for your family and not a crowd, here are measurements I think will be just about perfect. Someone try it and report back, please. I can guarantee it tastes great, just looking for feedback on sizing.

JC’s Not-So-Hyooge Oktoberfest Kartoffelsalat (German potato salad)

Ingredients

About 3 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes
1-2 cups chicken stock (precision not needed)
1 medium red or sweet onion
1 pkg center-cut bacon, sliced into bits (more than enough, but no such thing as too much bacon)
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 cups water
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tblsp lemon juice
A little chopped chives or green onion (optional) for color

Directions:

Clean potatoes well, slicing off eyes and brown spots, but don’t peel. Place in pot, add stock, add water to cover by an inch, stir, then cook until potatoes are done.

While the potatoes are cooking, cook diced bacon in medium suacepan, draining and reserving grease once so you can get the bacon to crisp a little. Remove bacon with slotted spoon, add onions to the grease in the pot and cook until tender. Add back the reserved bacon grease, the sugar and flour, and stir until dry ingredients are absorbed. Add water, vinegar, lemon juice and bacon and cook and stir until it gets bubbly and thickens a little.

When potatoes are done, drain liquid from pot, cover with cold water to cool them enough to handle, drain again (maybe do this twice). Dry pot. Now slice potatoes into thick slices and cover bottom of pot, then put layer of dressing, potatoes, green onions, and keep layering until everything is in the pot. Now stir with a big metal spoon to coat all the potatoes with dressing. Let sit for several hours before serving for potatoes to absorb dressing. Can refrigerate overnight, too. Reheat a little in microwave to serve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.