Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

Mini-racetrack Table

22K views 60 replies 19 participants last post by  Huddersfield 
#1 ·
I've had most of the materials for a new poker table for over a year now (even a custom cloth!), but last year really sucked on numerous levels with regards to having any free time to build. This year I'm resolved to getting it built, so I wanted to get a thread going to help give myself a kick in the ass to get started.

I run a monthly tourney that typically draws at least a dozen people, so the new table will serve as a second table to this table. One of the reasons I've been lackadaisical in getting started is that I actually have a pretty kick-ass second table:

I picked this up off craigslist a couple of years ago, screaming good deal. The only "real" flaw was that the previous owner's cat used a portion of the rail as a scratching post:

The other "flaw" is that my guys hate the custom cloth - they say it feels & looks awesome, but the card slide isn't as nice as SSC. Considering the price I picked it up for, the table has already paid for itself, but I do plan on salvaging portions of the table to save me some work & time. The pedestals are gorgeous and in mint condition, so those will be staying, as will the exposed "base" sheet with the chrome decorative nails thats finished to match the pedestals. That will serve as the base for the new table, so the overall dimensions will stay the same.

The new table will be a racetrack style, though the racetrack will only be a little over 3" wide. That should be just enough room to line up two rows of chips on the track, and cards can stay on the felt so they're easier to pick up. I'm planning on a birch racetrack with a black dye stain - I've done some test pieces and got this really neat look where it's dark enough to look solid black from a distance, but you can see the swirly grains when you're up close. I'm also planning on installing small pearl inlays (like what you'd see on a guitar fret board) to mark each player position on the track.

I will probably try to recycle some of the rail components, but the rail will be completely redone. Aside from the vinyl damage, the rail is only ~4.5" wide, and I really prefer a nice wide rail on my tables. The rail will be raised with led lighting behind a suited diffuser around the inside portion of the rail, and I will try to incorporate cup holders in the rail if I can fit them. Rail will be covered in padded suede.

I've got just about all the materials except the racetrack plywood, and hope to get started soon. :mrgreen:

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: New Year's Resolution - Get Working on a New Table

I got around to doing a test piece for the racetrack this weekend, and really liked the results. Going with a birch racetrack stained black with small 1/2" diameter white mother of pearl inlays at each seating location. Colorwise, the goal is to make it dark enough to look almost 100% black from a distance, but to have the grain pattern show through when you're seated. Here's the test piece, it still needs a couple more coats of poly to smooth out the surface but it's good enough to show how it should look. I think it needs to be a hair darker, I'll have to strengthen the stain concentration for the final product:

#4 ·

hey Irish - love the mother of pearl, that's fantastic.

In the table in original post, can you give me a guestimate of how many decorative nail heads did it take to do the outer portion of the rail, and what the spacing is?

Thanks

#10 ·

hey Irish - love the mother of pearl, that's fantastic.

In the table in original post, can you give me a guestimate of how many decorative nail heads did it take to do the outer portion of the rail, and what the spacing is?

Thanks
Spacing is about 1.5", ~150-160 nails sounds about right

That inlay is sweet, got any step by step instructions or photos on how you did that?
This was really simple because the pearl dot was exactly 1/2" in diameter, so I cheated a little. I used a 1/2" straight router bit with a plunge router. It took a little while to get the depth right, but it gave me a perfectly round hole to seat the pearl dot in. The straight router bit left a little nub in the center of the hole (no picture, I'll take one when I actually do the real thing), so I cleaned that out with a small detailing wood chisel. After making sure it fit good and flush, I put a little super glue in there, held it down for a while to make sure there was a good bond and let it dry. There wasn't much of a gap around the dot, but I worked in a little wood filler to make sure there were no spaces, sanded the whole thing down to make it 100% level, stained and polyed.

There are a few how-to websites & videos on youtube that describe the inlay process for guitars. The inlays that a lot of those guys use are really detailed - they typically trace the shape of the pearl inlay on their work piece and use a dremel mounted on a router base with a really small cutting bit, then free hand cut the hole for the inlay and clean it up with an exacto knife. Mine was fortunately a lot simpler. :D

#6 ·
#11 ·

Wasn't that table (or at least that cloth) for sale at one time? I thought I forwarded pics of that table to a buddy to see if he was interested... he was a Marine too...

#12 ·

Wasn't that table (or at least that cloth) for sale at one time? I thought I forwarded pics of that table to a buddy to see if he was interested... he was a Marine too...
I got the table on craigslist a couple of years ago, and yes I had the custom cloth up for sale several months ago. It's been recently sold.

#14 ·

When you guys install the decorative nails, do you use one of those specialty deco nail hammers with the nylon tip, or just a small regular hammer?
I use a nylon tipped hammer to install the nails, but I also pre-drill a starter hole to ensure they go in straight, so I only need a little bit of pressure to get them in. If you use a regular hammer, I'd wrap the head in duct tape or something so it doesn't mark the nail head.

#16 ·

Love the little builds tips, Irish. You gonna do a step-by-step for the salvage and rebuild?
I hadn't planned on it, but I can. I guess most of the old step-by-step builds are at the old place, so it'd be nice to get a new one started up here. I'll snap some shots along the way. I just got an order for a 9' dealer table though, so this project is going to be on hold for a few weeks.

#18 ·

I took a couple of days off this week and the weather cooperated very nicely to do some work outside. I'm also working on a 9 foot dealer table, but I'm waiting on some supplies so I was able to squeeze in some work on this table.

Since I'll be re-using the exposed base sheet that's attached to the pedestals and at least one of the rail pieces to construct the raised rail on the new table, the overall dimensions of the new table will be the same as what I've got now. I popped the rail off to get some good measurements for the new rail/racetrack components - the table is exactly 44"Wx95"L. Here's the existing rail:

I cut apart the old rail to check on the assembly and see what I could use - the base component of the existing rail (what's facing out in the picture above) is 5" wide and 7/8" thick MDF. The new rail will be 6" wide, so while I'll need a new top rail piece, I can recycle this MDF piece as the riser component of the new table. So, I'll need to cut out 2 new sheets of ply - one for the rail top piece, and one for the new racetrack/rail lip.

Got the new sheets, all set up and ready to go (there's another shot of the MDF piece that will get recycled into the rail riser):

First I have to trim down the sheet lengthwise from 48" to 44" to match the existing width. I have a nice straight edge clamp that I use to get a good straight cut. Even with the straight edge though, it's a good idea to mark out your cut line with pencil so you know you're on track and the guide hasn't slipped:

I typically work by myself, so I've got a lot of little tricks to help out for cases like this where a second set of hands would be nice. About halfway through the cut, I clamp the start of the cut to the main piece so it stays in place while I complete the cut:

Both sheets are cut to width. Next I stack them up to make sure that they match well, and match mark the sides of the plywood so I'll know where they best fit together later. They lined up pretty well:

You can see in the picture above that the top plywood sheet had a few tear outs - those all seemed to be at the corners, which get cut off, so it shouldn't impact the final piece. Now that both of the new sheets are cut to width, I measure out & drill a center pivot hole at both ends for the arc cuts. I use a 4' drywall t-square for this to ensure the point is really accurate. IMHO these are probably your most important measurements - if you're off a little to one side, your arc cuts won't align nicely at the edges of the table. It's a 44" wide table, so the pivot will be at 22" from the side of the sheet. I measure from each side, just to be sure you've got the dead center of the sheet. Since the table will be 95" long, one inch short of a full 8' sheet, so I measure in 22" from one end and 23" from another to get the correct length. Another benefit of using the straight edge at this point is you can draw a good straight line across the sheet that represent the point where all your cuts transition from arc cuts to tangent cuts. That makes lining those cuts up a lot easier, especially for the inner cuts.

Next is making the outer arc cuts. I use a router with a lewin compass for this. To get a nice smooth transition from the arc to tangent on both sides, I adjust the compass so that there is a very small gap between the edge of the sheet and the router bit at each end of the arc cut:

So when your router is at this position:

You should have this clearance between the bit and the sheet:

This way you get a smooth transition, like this:

If your bit is touching the edge of the sheet at the transition point, you'll get a little jog in your cut that you'll have to sand down later. In making the cuts, it's important to keep the compass secured at the pivot point. I keep a hand at the pivot and one on the router, I've got just enough of a wingspan to do so where I can still keep an eye on the cut to make sure nothing funky is going on, like the bit slipping and cutting deeper into the wood. I make all my router cuts in 1/4" increments, so it takes 3 passes to cut through a 3/4" sheet.

With all the outer cuts made, now it's onto the inner cut for the rail top piece. I mark out where the 6" wide rail cut should hit and adjust the router accordingly.

Unlike the outside cuts, where I start at the transition point on one end and cut to the other end of the arc, I start this cut a few inches onto the arc and backtrack to the transition point. This way I have better control of where I end the cut, right at the line marked out for the transition point:

Then, about halfway through these cuts, this happens...

I've not had the best luck with router bits, I can get roughly 2 tables from one spiral upcut bit. Some people say they've done 10 tables with one bit, even with nice whiteside bits I've never come close to that. I always seem to hit certain patches in the plywood where there's extra glue or something and it just eats the bit up. Dunno, maybe I'm cutting too fast. :confused:

Anyhoo after a quick bit change, I finished up the inside arcs at both ends:

Onto the straight cuts, here's how I set mine up. I place the router at the arc transition so the bit is perfectly centered at the end of the arc cut, then line up a straight edge at each end and clamp it into place. I find the shop milled edge of my lengthwise cutoffs from before work well, and lets me set up both tangent cuts at once. Make sure it line up at both ends - it typically take me a few iterations at either end to get it lined up perfect.

After plowing through the cuts, you should get a pretty smooth transition all the way around.

That's all for now. Next up is making the inner cuts on the racetrack sheet.

#21 · (Edited)

After 3 months of zero work on this table, I got a few hours in yesterday during my week off in-between jobs. I got all the inner router cuts on the racetrack sheet finished (bottom side is up):

Here's the racetrack sheet with the good side up - I really like the grain pattern on this sheet, even though it's getting a dark black stain, I'm hoping I can get all the swirly grain patterns to show:

The racetrack will be about 3.25" on this table - just wide enough to fit two stacks of chips. I routed a 1/8" channel for the lit rail cover & diffuser just inside the edge of where the rail will be, a quick test fit seemed to have it fit nice and snug.

Instead of using cut strips of hardboard for the level racetrack/playing surface transition - I found this plastic molding at home cheapo that's the perfect size for fitting the gap from a 1/4" diameter router bit - 1/4" thick by 3/4" tall. Using this allowed me to take the cutout piece from the 3/4" birch piece as a direct template to cut out the 1/2" sheet for the playing surface. I traced the cutout shape on the 1/2" sheet and did a rough jigsaw cut, then used a flush cut router bit to clean up the cut and make an exact match. The fit-up looked good, I may to just sand it a bit to allow for the cloth thickness.

If this works out as good as I'm hoping it will, it'll be a nice time saver in doing these racetrack tables. Cutting those hard board strips, getting them to curve without snapping, and driving staples through them is a huge pain in the ass I could definitely do without.

I also cut out the cup holder holes in the rail:

Next up is getting the inlays cut and installed in the racetrack, then I can start the staining & finishing.

#23 ·

Love this thread. What is the router bit you are using in your 03/09 post at 10am? Is it 2"?
This one?:

That's a 1/4" diameter spiral up cut bit, I think this one is 2.5" long. I get my bits from here (#RU2100 or #RU2075):

Whiteside Router Bits from Woodworkersworld.net--Solid Carbide Spiral, Compression Router Bit

I fried 3 bits (two 1/4" spirals and one 1/4" straight) doing those cuts. I've come to the conclusion that my Milwaukee router is not 100% in tune, and the slight vibrations are fracturing the relatively brittle solid carbide bits. I switched back to my old trusty Porter Cable 693 and have had no problems since. I also switched back to using the straight 1/4" bit instead of the spiral up cut, they're less expensive and I haven't seen a big difference in the cut.

#29 ·

Irish can you tell me anything else about that plastic molding. What department did you find it in at HD and/or what was it's intended purpose. I'm looking for it as I type this.

Thanks!
Found it in the moulding/millwork department, I believe it's called Veranda or something like that. IIRC it was like $6 for a 8 or 10 foot long piece. It's exactly 1/4" thick and 3/4" wide. You'll know you've got the right stuff as soon as you go to pick it up, it'll go all wet noodle and be impossible to carry.

#33 ·

Got some more work done on this table. The pearl inlays have been installed, stained the racetrack and have begun finishing it:

Put the flash on for these shots, I was able to get the grain to just show through when viewed up close, it's a really neat effect.

Shooting to have this finished up in a couple of weeks...

#34 ·

did you varnish first before the inlays? did you use a plunge bit of the exact diameter of the inlay or make a very small template and router it out?

#35 ·

did you varnish first before the inlays? did you use a plunge bit of the exact diameter of the inlay or make a very small template and router it out?
The inlays were exactly 1/2" in diameter (they were the largest pearl "dots" I could find already cut), so I was able to cheat and use my 1/2" straight bit & router. That got me the nice round cut, but I needed to clean up the inside of hole some with a small chisel and dremel. Once the hole was cut and cleaned out, I secured the pearl dot with some super glue and then rubbed some wood filler over the whole thing to make sure there weren't any gaps around the inlay. Sanded flush/clean, stained and now I'm polying over the whole thing.

#37 ·

Some more progress over the past few days. The racetrack is all poly'd and good to go, now I'm building up the riser and rail. This table will have a 1.5" raised rail with a wood/cracked ice diffuser, back lit with LEDs. Since both the racetrack and the rail cover will be black, I went with a dark red oak color stain on the riser to try and accent the table. Not sure if I 100% like it yet, I probably won't be able to tell until I get the rail covered.

Some progress pics:

Building up the raised rail :

I was able to salvage the 5" top rail plate from the old table and use it as a fill sheet for the riser. It saved me some cutting, though it was a good reminder of what a pain in the ass it is to work with MDF.

Rail & internal riser pieces assembled in and place:

And one last pic with the rail removed:

Next up I have to clean up and round off the corners of the rail, get it upholstered, and get the LEDs installed. The finish line is almost in sight. :mrgreen:

#39 ·
Re: New Year's Resolution - New Mini-racetrack Table

Finished assembling & upholstering the playing surface insert last night. I ended up shaving a hair off the height of that flexible white plastic piece I found, it was exactly 3/4" and the ply was a slightly under 3/4". It was very nice to work with though - very flexible, no issues with attaching it around the plywood (I used brad nails and a nail gun), and it held the staples in fastening the cloth. A few pics:

Insert all wrapped and padded with 1/4 HD foam:

Tacked down the SSC and sprayed a light layer of 3M adhesive:

All secured and trimmed:

And secured in place on the table. It's been a while since I've done a racetrack, I forgot was a pain in the ass it is to get the playing area to fit *just* right. Took a bit of sanding the edges (before attaching the plastic) to get it fit.

Upholstering the rail later today, then it's on to securing the riser diffuser and installing the LEDs. The LED strip I had ordered was about 10" too short, so I've got another one incoming to bridge the gap. We've got a tourney next Saturday, I'm hoping it arrives early this week so I can get everything installed and finished.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.