Advice on attaching 2X4 to concrete basement walls/floor - Page 2 - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Other Projects Indoors or Out

Old 09-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Thread Killer

Chips: 20,583,405
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice on attaching 2X4 to concrete basement walls/floor

Thanks, Trann. And the rest of you guys.

I'm going to do the vertical 2X4 things, it's only a few more holes. And I like the idea of putting adjustable shelf standards and brackets on the verticals--more flexible storage later on.

Here's a picture of what I'll do. The circles are where I'll drill the wall and put those Hilti fasteners on the uprights. The X is where I'll glue/screw the horizontal support for the benchtop to the uprights. Outboard of the Hilti fasteners, I should be OK using the nail gun tool, as the torque forces on the benchtop support will be isolated between the two rows of Hilti fasteners. Am I thinking right about that? I mean, there shouldn't be much stress on the uprights from working the presses on the table top outboard of the two rows of Hiltis, I would think.

I'll use Hilti fasteners in the floor on the 2X4 support for the iron pipe legs. Oak facing on the front and sides of the 4-thickness plywood benchtop, and I've got a rock-solid reloading bench!

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008, 10:24 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 10,065,760
Dr Lecterr is a name known to allDr Lecterr is a name known to allDr Lecterr is a name known to allDr Lecterr is a name known to allDr Lecterr is a name known to all

Have you given any thought about the possibility of drilling into the wall and having a leak after that?

I used to have a basement and now the first thing tht comes to mind with basements is water leaks.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 6,870,740,109
Wedge Rock is the pimp of pimpsWedge Rock is the pimp of pimpsWedge Rock is the pimp of pimpsWedge Rock is the pimp of pimpsWedge Rock is the pimp of pimpsWedge Rock is the pimp of pimpsWedge Rock is the pimp of pimpsWedge Rock is the pimp of pimpsWedge Rock is the pimp of pimpsWedge Rock is the pimp of pimpsWedge Rock is the pimp of pimps

I just built the walls on the floor, a little taller than the space and sledged them into place... As long as its along the concrete wall (as opposed to free floating in the middle of a room) and you nail it to the joists above, that fucker won't move... I've got a built-in bookshelf that I used this method for. No problems whatsoever.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Thread Killer

JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

Not building a wall, Wedge, but that's a nice tip for someone who is!

About leaks, I had not thought about that. I have a certified flood-proof basement as I was dry during the 100-year flood in eastern PA a few years back.

How thick are those basement walls? Should I put some sort of silicone caulk in with the anchor? Scary thoughts. Thanks for pointing it out.

JC
Old 09-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Thread Killer

OK, a neighbor of mine is an avid woodworker, built his own deck (beautiful!), and remodeled a few rooms in his house. He has a table saw, radial arm saw, drill press, and a great workshop.

So, I'm back to the horizontal support and he and I will build a nice workbench hutch to put on top of the bench for storage. So, back to concrete fastening.

I will not use the screws, as I want to be very, very secure. There are two products I've found that look good, but I don't know why I'd choose one over the other. Maybe it makes no difference and I can flip a coin. But if you have an opinion. please let me know.

This has to be much stronger than putting up verticals for building a wall. My reloading presses are about 12-14 pounds, and I can generate quite a bit of force when resizing brass cases, especially if I ever realize my dream and get my .50 Barrett rifle.

One is called a "wedge anchor" and the other is a "drop in" anchor.

The bench top that will rest on this support is going to be a full four thicknesses of plywood (3"!) glued and screwed, dimensions 8' X 22". I'm thinking I can get by with 5 of these anchors on the horizontal support? About every 18 inches? Or should I use more?

I'll use the same things on the strip in the floor for the iron pipe. Here's a photo of what I'm trying to build to refresh your memory. No more design input, this has been purpose built for ammunition reloading and is exactly what I want. I'm just looking for concrete fastener advice now. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 82,586,933
j p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimps

did this project ever get finished and if so....WTF are the pix?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
"D" Cup
Asteroids Champion

Chips: 354
morningwood is a name known to allmorningwood is a name known to allmorningwood is a name known to allmorningwood is a name known to allmorningwood is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quads View Post
Drilling concrete isn't that bad actually.
Another option would be to use a Hilti ram set. (.22 cart. "gun" that shoots nails into the concrete). So you could lay your 2X4 down, then ram set it to the floor.

You can rent them at HD or most any rental yard.
Money!

Thats what I used to secure my 2 x 3's and 2 x 4's. They have shells with different strengths in case you have older concrete or a hard spots that give you a difficult time sending the nail all the way in. Made the job quick and easy.

What eva you do DO NOT shoot them at a bare wall from a knot hole across the room, those suckers ricochet back at you FAST!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Other Projects Indoors or Out